Release EDDiscovery 17.X is now out! New Spansh intergrations - 3dMap from spansh data, Station panel

Not in the current release version. This option will be present in the next version (I think it's also already available in the beta, but don't pin me down on that I'm running an alpha build not the official beta).
Screenshot 2022-04-16 234908.JPG

Hi there,

first of all a big thank you for this awesome tool. I use it all the time.

I have a question: if I want to install EDD on a new machine, how do I get all my old personal EDD preferences onto that new machine? Can I just backup my old EDDUser.sqlite and copy it to the new location? Would that even work across different versions of EDD?

As long as it's not a very, very old .sqlite file there should be no problems.
A long time ago there was a huge change to the DB system, that was back in late 2019 (version 11.0.0) - if your DB is that old without being touched since then a newly built DB would be better.

New version is building a new database anyway - for some reason it didn't pick-up my database setting and is now happily building a new one in a different location - it also did a complete rescan of logs so all my old and beta commanders got picked up again.

Also - I wish I had made a note of what scheme I had been using as that too was not picked up by the update.

I foretold it that people are going to be confused by this:

Screenshot 2022-04-30 112249.JPG

Guess you didn't install EDD in the default directory?
Easiest way to get to the previous state if that's the case is to go to EDDs install directory and delete "optionsportable.txt".

€dit: Or "optionsappdata.txt" as Para pointed out.

Last edited:
Yes I was confused... :D

Is there a possibility that the lite version will have the scan tab and the history tab one day?

New version starts way faster that the old one, thank you for all that effort you put in.

I foretold it that people are going to be confused by this:

View attachment 304785

Guess you didn't install EDD in the default directory?
Easiest way to get to the previous state if that's the case is to go to EDDs install directory and delete "optionsportable.txt".

The problem was that my previous install held the database in its own directory in D: (also a SSD) the installer didn't seem to leave me the option to use that directory, I think it only allowed the program install path to be chosen (it detected that path).

I have just noticed that my API keys etc are missing too.

So - there is no "optionsportable.txt" there is an "optionsappdata.txt" - will deleting that sort this?

EDIT: Editing "optionsappdata.txt" to detail the previous database location seems to have worked.

Last edited:
The problem was that my previous install held the database in its own directory in D: (also a SSD) the installer didn't seem to leave me the option to use that directory, I think it only allowed the program install path to be chosen (it detected that path).
The "change location" button seen in the screenshot lets you choose whatever directory you want to use for the app data.

(I wonder if the DBs have to be in a "data" subfolder though @robbyp )

Help!

I updated to from a version lower than 15 to version 15 or higher and now:

• EDD read all my journals again
  • all my settings are gone
  • all my personal notes vanished

Here is what happened:

Version 15 reworked the installer. Now it contains the screen seen on the screenshot.
Earlier versions of EDD on default put all user generated data in %localappdata%\EDDiscovery (this is the behaviour recommended by Microsoft).
If you chose to put EDD in a non default directory (which would be %programfiles%\EDDiscovery ) all data would be stored in %localappdata% if not especially told otherwise.
With version 15 the installer recognises if EDD is installed in a non-default directory and tells EDD to put all generated data in that directory too. This new behaviour causes EDD to search for its data in the install directory rather than %localappdata% - and as it fails to find any data it starts to build the DBs from scratch.

What can be done about it?

• If you don't care about the place all your data gets stored it's simple: Close EDD -> Go to the directory you installed EDD to -> delete optionsappdata.txt
  • If you didn't know EDD stored all its data in a directory other than the one you installed it and you don't want EDD to do this in the future: Close EDD - > Navigate to %localappdata%\EDDiscovery -> copy everything in there -> navigate to the directory you installed EDD to and paste every file from the previous step in the Data folder -> start EDD to see if everything is like before the update -> if everything is fine you now can delete %localappdata%\EDDiscovery to free space on your main drive
  • If you knew about the default behaviour and specified a different location yourself in the past using command line options: Delete optionsappdata.txt in EDDs directory

Screenshot 2022-04-30 112249.JPG

Last edited:
A couple of things:

a) Old vs New Maps
Will the old (depreciated 2D) map continue to be viable as an option? The reason is, I can see every start discovered in the galaxy (though takes some loading time) to see pockets that haven't yet been discovered. I can't seem to do that in the new 3D or 2D maps as I would have to scan through the entire galaxy manually first in order to load everything thing up. Not to mention showing everything like the older map did, you can easily see a lot of the fun designs or sayings people have spent many hours drawing with visited systems.

b) Bookmarks
I see in the new 3D maps some bookmarks in the list, however, they don't pertain to any of my actual book marks I have set in either the History Tab Notes from EDDiscovery, nor my bookmarks I've added with notes either directly from ED in the Galaxy Map. The old depreciated 2D map shows all the bookmarks from ED and the History Tab, but does this mean that I'd have to manually add in all bookmarks I have notes in the History all from scratch again for the 3D maps?

c) Configure Map Toggles
I find the new toggle method a bit hard to see what's exactly on or off. The gray background of the Configure Map is gray, and toggling on something puts just a lighter shade of gray as a square behind the icons and I find that a bit hard to see what is actually on or off. Maybe another color or better yet just a red X or line through those that are toggled off would be easier to read.

Anyways, I do like the new 3D map as it is a lot quicker than the older method, and the toggles are so much nicer to have, just still hope to have access to the older map for the reasons mentioned above. Just my feedback on the new and improved EDDiscovery

• 2d map stays.
  • Old 3dmap is going to be removed in 15.1 - i'm not supporting it any more and it does not really work with 60mil+ systems. Its also using a very old depreciated GL method.
  • I may add a density option into the new 3dmap later, its been noted. To be honest, EDAstro does a very good job of showing this, its his speciality.
  • We can't see the bookmarks from Elite - they are not exported to us
  • The bookmarks should reflect the ones made in the bookmark panel. They do on mine. They don't reflect the history tab notes. (Maybe they should - i'll make a note)
  • I'll look to see if i can improve the visuals on the selection.

Thanks for your input. Its very welcome.

I am having problems with the new 3D map. When I put it into 2D mode it does not show any galaxy objects. I use this feature a lot on the old map to find fleet carriers and interesting POIs along the route that I am doing. I can then take a detour. I know that I can put it into 3D mode and they appear, but I prefer the top down view to give any indication if something is close to my route. Is there a way to get galaxy objects to appear in 2D view or to quickly put the 3D view into top down viewpoint?

EDIT: Actually I can's see any of the DSSA fleet carriers on the 3D view either. I must be doing something wrong.

Last edited:
Screenshot 2022-05-09 234315.JPG

They are there, assigned to the "independent outpost" option.
There is one real issues:
  • GO images don't scale, so the farther you zoom out the less visible they are (I was only able to spot them because I deactivated everything else).

If you're extremely annoyed by it please open an issue on GitHub.

Last edited:
I wonder any CMDR prefer the route lines in the old 3D Map over the new one? Or did I missed the option in the new to adjust its width?

By all means no offend at all, but the route in the new 3D Map is like segmented ribbons....

By all means no offend at all, but the route in the new 3D Map is like segmented ribbons....
Moving ribbons that show you which direction you moved.
The old one was just a line that made you wonder about your direction.

As for the width: If it wouldn't be that wide it would be invisible when zoomed out.

Screenshot 2022-05-14 123149.JPG

Top Bottom