Release EDEngineer - an overlay to track your blueprint progress in realtime

Latest update has caused a few crashed for myself and my friend using it:

System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'MS.Internal.NamedObject' to type 'EDEngineer.Models.Localization.LanguageInfo'.
at EDEngineer.Models.Localization.Languages.Convert(Object value, Type targetType, Object parameter, CultureInfo culture)
at EDEngineer.Models.Localization.Languages.Convert(Object[] values, Type targetType, Object parameter, CultureInfo culture)
at System.Windows.Data.MultiBindingExpression.TransferValue()
at System.Windows.Data.MultiBindingExpression.Transfer()
at System.Windows.Data.MultiBindingExpression.UpdateTarget(Boolean includeInnerBindings)
at System.Windows.Data.MultiBindingExpression.AttachToContext(Boolean lastChance)
at System.Windows.Data.MultiBindingExpression.MS.Internal.Data.IDataBindEngineClient.AttachToContext(Boolean lastChance)
at MS.Internal.Data.DataBindEngine.Task.Run(Boolean lastChance)
at MS.Internal.Data.DataBindEngine.Run(Object arg)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Interesting... I never saw that one. Did you do something in particular or does it seem to happen randomly?

edit: I triple checked the code and nothing seems wrong regarding that part of the software. But ! I managed to reproduce something similar with multiple accounts and by switching between them while having different filters and different scroll position in the blueprint list. Seems like some soft of bug with WPF itself? Anyway I just published something that will make it at least not crash if that situation is encountered again.

Last edited:
Latest version no longer sorts by Name or Type when clicking on the column header. Fine for progress or grade.

thanks for reporting that, it will be fixed in tonight's update (alongside full spanish translation) !

Well that was quick! :) One of my wingmates wondered if it would be possible to give us totals on the Data/Materials list.
ie: 496/500 Data 847/1000 Materials
Would be helpful for checking at a glance, but unsure of how polluted the UI would become. Maybe there is a better place in your 2.0 UI that is being designed. Just a thought.

Also a question, if I get an invite or unlock for a new Engineer, does the Journal files have entries for that that can be picked up and then added to our Engineer selection or is that not in the Journal Files?

Thanks for all the work HG, especially the SuperFast Updates!

Well that was quick! :) One of my wingmates wondered if it would be possible to give us totals on the Data/Materials list.
ie: 496/500 Data 847/1000 Materials
Would be helpful for checking at a glance, but unsure of how polluted the UI would become. Maybe there is a better place in your 2.0 UI that is being designed. Just a thought.

That's planned :) Might integrate more data regarding materials too (like locations and lore) as so many people have been asking about it. I kind of understand because alt-tabbing to go to a website is kind of painful.

Apart from that, no update for a week as I'll be in Lithuania for build stuff 2016 conference. See you!

Last edited:
Can we get an option to turn off the windows pop up reminders when a new blueprint can be made please? V noisy and distracting!

hey,

i just wanted to say THANK YOU for this brilliant tool. i was working till now with my own spreadsheets, because non of the other tools would allow me to track my engineer materials like i like to ... and none was automatically update via the log.

now i'm using this since friday, and i'm just very happy - the brilliant filter system allows me to see what i would like to know, for exampel: do i have enough materials to level and re-level an engineer!

to provide some "critical" feedback, too - in the process for setting up the app i would have loved a "select all - ignore/.../ all" - blueprints.

and during using it,

- i would wish for a "favourite materials" button. for exampel i use some materials regularly for synthesis, and would like to see how many i have...

- i would like to see a difference between "commodity can be bought"/ "commodity can be mined"/ "mission reward only commodity", so i could easily filter, which blueorints i can do right now, if i buy magnetic emitter coils, and which i can't, because they need mission reward only commodities like nanobreakers. as a workround i have now applied a virtual 10 to each of the commodities i can easily buy, and a virtual 25 for those that i can mine.

anyway, fantastic work! again: thank you so much!

Just found this thread and got ED Engineer running on my system. I have to say its AWESOME I was trying to figure out how to do something like this (I'm no programmer) so I'm glad someone had the knowledge to do it. Had to change from full screen to borderless etc but now that I have I don't really find much difference to how i play (funny that for some reason i thought ED wouldn't run as good)

Has anyone thought about Voice attack integration? Like you could say "What do I need for Increase Frame shift drive grade 5 upgrade" and ED Engineer could respond with whatever materials you are missing though voice attack.

Would love to be able to ask ED Engineer via voice attack what materials I needed if I just dropped into a signal source or something but needed to get in and out quick.

Has anyone thought about Voice attack integration? Like you could say "What do I need for Increase Frame shift drive grade 5 upgrade" and ED Engineer could respond with whatever materials you are missing though voice attack.

LOL BumbleB I have been following you in the EDDI threads. Not EVERYTHING has to be integrated into Voice Attack! :p

LOL BumbleB I have been following you in the EDDI threads. Not EVERYTHING has to be integrated into Voice Attack! :p

Until overlay technology improves, Voice Attack is all VR users have to connect to the 'outside world'. If you think about it from a VR context, it was by no means an unreasonable comment.

What can I say i'm a big fan of VA & EDDI, just love it to death.

Can you tell I was a big fan of KnightRider with K.I.T.T that had all the info, just ask K.I.T.T ;)

ok I think I've found my first problem, how often does EDE update its materials etc?

I just gave some data to an engineer to unlock (4 data scans short) but the data is still sitting in EDE and looks like it hasn't updated for over an hr according to the last update tag onto he bottom of the window.

Definitely gave him data

Does it only update when you "craft" or obtain materials/cargo/data but not if your using materials to unlock an engineer?

ok I think I've found my first problem, how often does EDE update its materials etc?

I just gave some data to an engineer to unlock (4 data scans short) but the data is still sitting in EDE and looks like it hasn't updated for over an hr according to the last update tag onto he bottom of the window.

Definitely gave him data

Does it only update when you "craft" or obtain materials/cargo/data but not if your using materials to unlock an engineer?

It reads the Journals, so if it does not apply a journal entry, then it is not updated. Dunno if Its a Bug, but I just looked and it did not remove the Modular Terminals I handed over to Quent. I wonder if it is not a journal entry or if the update changed the entries.

HG will be gone for few days on business, but I am sure he will check when he gets back. Until then, Suggest we just manually update it when we hand over for an unlock.

It reads the Journals, so if it does not apply a journal entry, then it is not updated. Dunno if Its a Bug, but I just looked and it did not remove the Modular Terminals I handed over to Quent. I wonder if it is not a journal entry or if the update changed the entries.

HG will be gone for few days on business, but I am sure he will check when he gets back. Until then, Suggest we just manually update it when we hand over for an unlock.

Oh cool I did read that he was going on holidays, with all the work his put in this I can't blame him.

I was just checking to see if it was something I missed as I only installed today and getting used to it etc.

Well from my limited knowledge it doesn't look like the journal registers materials donation to unlock an engineer.

Definitely gave him data

Engineer's Progress should already be handled in the code but there might be a missing case somewhere... Which engineer was it exactly? If you could open an issue on GitHub with a zip of your log folder attached, that'd be great !

if GitHub refuses to host zip files, just rename the archive to .jpg

@Loriath

Your logs about Qwent would be most welcome too. I'm sure there's something regarding the name of the engineer in the logs. I look for "Marco Qwent" but if the game outputs something else, I won't be able to map it to the -25 Modular Terminals operation that currently exists.

Last edited:
Top Bottom