EDProfiler - A New Display Switcher/Robust Settings Profiler/Switcher/Detector!

Hey there folk, I wonder if anyone else has seen this. When I make a screen shot and look in the CMDR Log the screen grab is on twice on the entry. I have to keep deleting 1 all the time.

Can't think why this is! I will have a look at the code

I have been wanting to love this tool for the chat and log parts but they don't seem to work for me. For chat monitoring nothign happens at all. I do get an error when I click on Live Chat Detection. "String was not recognized as a valid DateTime."

Code:
See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.FormatException: String was not recognized as a valid DateTime.
   at System.DateTimeParse.Parse(String s, DateTimeFormatInfo dtfi, DateTimeStyles styles)
   at System.DateTime.Parse(String s)
   at EDProfiler.EDChatLog.logListPopulator()
   at EDProfiler.EDChatLog.DetectButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8937 (WinRelRS4.050727-8900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
EDProfiler
    Assembly Version: 3.3.0.3
    Win32 Version: 3.3.0.3
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Awol/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/XJWZ47GB.6GL/QGCWZ6TH.5W3/edpr..tion_8fee7e9465259bde_0003.0003_a891e4f2904699c0/EDProfiler.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.8922 (WinRelRS4.050727-8900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8934 (WinRelRS4.050727-8900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8922 (WinRelRS4.050727-8900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
System.Xml.Linq
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.8931 built by: WinRelRS4
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll
System.Deployment
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Deployment/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Deployment.dll
System.Core
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.8931 built by: WinRelRS4
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

The CMDR Log now picked us when I type "LOG" in-game chat and adds to the log but the option of Log Jumps when in Expedition mode doesn't seem to do anything. Not sure what the others do but nothign changes on jumps and if I add more to the log it says it supplemental. I was expecting at least a new section in the Expedition log to print out the current system and then my text.

Ok I will look at expedition mode, and live chat detection. I think the live one might need some regional coding - are you using a non English region on your PC? FYI for now you can work around this by just showing chat history of today, every time you press it, it will update to the latest chat.

I try but nothing. The Pictures are saved in C:\Users\vincent\Pictures\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous. But they do not show op on any log.
Is there any thing I need to set up when I first install program. Like telling it where directory is?

No it should look right there. I just feel like something is preventing your computer from informing EDProfiler that F10 was pressed, like an antivirus or something. I am not sure I am going to be able to help with this unless it starts happening to me so I can use my debugger.

Anyone got any numbers for the ED Graphics Configuration Override setting using EDProfier for a GTX 1080Ti ?

And I'm not taking about the HUD just in-case you're all thinking that

Last edited:
Hello, thank you for your great work with EDProfiler.
I have a problem, what I would not do, I have an inactive enabled button at all times, with Tone Maping. Can you help me?
Sorry for my English

Edit.
ok, I see the answer above.

Last edited:
I downloaded this but can't seem to get it to work :(
First off, I'm no planning to do any of the hud stuff, at least not yet. I'm mostly happy with the orange and don;t want to risk breaking g-sync.
So, I'm looking at the chat/cmdr logs. The new 3.3 release (BTW, be useful to have a help/about or something to tell the minor update) fixed the chat logs - I click the live button and now have chat. Good :)

But the Cmdr log doesn't do anything. I have it set to Timestamp, require LOG prefix, supplemental, info and log all jumps and created a DW2 expedition mode. I then went and type LOG Test into the local chat and whilst it appears in the chat window, it does not appear in the Cmdr log window. The DW2.txt file is 0 bytes.
Also not sure what the travel logs did/does, although I didn't jump yet.

I downloaded this but can't seem to get it to work :(
First off, I'm no planning to do any of the hud stuff, at least not yet. I'm mostly happy with the orange and don;t want to risk breaking g-sync.
So, I'm looking at the chat/cmdr logs. The new 3.3 release (BTW, be useful to have a help/about or something to tell the minor update) fixed the chat logs - I click the live button and now have chat. Good :)

But the Cmdr log doesn't do anything. I have it set to Timestamp, require LOG prefix, supplemental, info and log all jumps and created a DW2 expedition mode. I then went and type LOG Test into the local chat and whilst it appears in the chat window, it does not appear in the Cmdr log window. The DW2.txt file is 0 bytes.
Also not sure what the travel logs did/does, although I didn't jump yet.

Hey, there are instructions on the CMDR Logs, just click the ? top right.

If LOG prefix is on, you have to type "LOG" (capitals) before every entry. Try turning that option off and testing first. Also I think expedition mode has issues that I will look into but not sure if it's to do with that.

Hey, there are instructions on the CMDR Logs, just click the ? top right.

If LOG prefix is on, you have to type "LOG" (capitals) before every entry. Try turning that option off and testing first. Also I think expedition mode has issues that I will look into but not sure if it's to do with that.

I did read the instructions ;) Tried with LOG off. Also tried TIMESTAMPON since the instructions mention that in require LOG prefix - I later realised the instructions are mistaken (supplemental also look incorrect).
I tried also without expedition mode yesterday - though that was before todays patch (both game and your app :)) and I don't think I tried it today [am logged off now]
I

I did read the instructions ;) Tried with LOG off. Also tried TIMESTAMPON since the instructions mention that in require LOG prefix - I later realised the instructions are mistaken (supplemental also look incorrect).
I tried also without expedition mode yesterday - though that was before todays patch (both game and your app :)) and I don't think I tried it today [am logged off now]
I

What is mistaken?

Have you got an player journal *.log files other than:

Journal[numbers].log
and
JournalBeta[numbers].log

in your journal folder?

C:\Users\%username%\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous

CMDR Log Minor Issue: Screenshots are rendered when taken, but on interacting with the CMDR Log window disappear, leaving only the filename. Clicking on the filename opens an "Unhandled Exception" window.

This is due to the fact that EDDiscovery converts and renames my screenshots. So yes, completely my fault.

1. An application should NEVER display an "Unhandled Exception" to the end-user. Ideally exceptions should be handled gracefully and, if necessary, an error-dialog/message displayed to the user. I appreciate this is a lot more work and you're very busy with other things at the moment; this is just general coding feedback :)

2. Is there any possibility of CMDR Logs monitoring a custom folder for screenshots and being able to load different image formats (PNG) instead?

Thanks for awesome tools! The "Log" function is actually quite useful in VR...

CMDR Log Minor Issue: Screenshots are rendered when taken, but on interacting with the CMDR Log window disappear, leaving only the filename. Clicking on the filename opens an "Unhandled Exception" window.

This is due to the fact that EDDiscovery converts and renames my screenshots. So yes, completely my fault.

1. An application should NEVER display an "Unhandled Exception" to the end-user. Ideally exceptions should be handled gracefully and, if necessary, an error-dialog/message displayed to the user. I appreciate this is a lot more work and you're very busy with other things at the moment; this is just general coding feedback :)

2. Is there any possibility of CMDR Logs monitoring a custom folder for screenshots and being able to load different image formats (PNG) instead?

Thanks for awesome tools! The "Log" function is actually quite useful in VR...

Sorry I try to catch them all but unless they happen to me or I am clever enough to predict them, it's going to happen on an amateur free tool like this. Send me the error details so I can fix it: kaii@dr.com

Someone asked for point 2 already and I plan to introduce it at some point.

or I am clever enough to predict them

You don't have to; while poor coding practice in general, your top-level routines should just "catch(Exception e)" (ie, a catch-all). Then when you get error reports from users, you can try to handle the specific exception in a routine where it makes sense to handle it. MUCH better than an "Unhandled Exception" which can be quite scary to users.

Anyway, thanks again for an awesome set of free tools! Hope you don't mind constructive feedback (I'll stop if you do..)

Someone asked for point 2 already and I plan to introduce it at some point.

W00T :) No rush.. DWE2 and all..

Last edited:
Log All Jumps not working??

I have checked the log all jump options, but I do not see any jumps recording the log?

What am I doing wrong or not understanding?

Other functionality using local chat work great

I am playing on steam if that makes a difference

Thanks

I have checked the log all jump options, but I do not see any jumps recording the log?

What am I doing wrong or not understanding?

Other functionality using local chat work great

I am playing on steam if that makes a difference

Thanks

I think that's broken, sorry, I will try and fix within a week

What is mistaken?
It looks like the instructions are transposed to me
YXhCad2.png

Have you got an player journal *.log files other than:

Journal[numbers].log
and
JournalBeta[numbers].log

in your journal folder?

C:\Users\%username%\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous

No. just a couple of .cache files and .json

Last edited:
There are a few problems with the day/date added to entries in the cmdr log .txt file which of course shows up in the CMDR Logs window as well.
1. The weekday is the same as the first for every entry even if it is another day of the week.
Example:
CMDR's Log: m?ndag 16 jan 3305
CMDR's Log: m?ndag 17 jan 3305
CMDR's Log: m?ndag 19 jan 3305
2. The name of the weekday appears to be the localized/internationalized version but it looks like the wrong text encoding is used somewhere because non ascii characters just ends up as question marks.
Example: CMDR's Log: m?ndag 16 jan 3305
3. Some dates are just totally incorrect
Example:
--Supercruising:
( m?ndag 1 jan 1287 )

Also as reported above, the app stops logging systems. I'm thinking it stopped after midnight of the first day, or when I got into/came back from my SRV, but there could be another reason of course. The hypothesises matches my only .txt file at least. I'm running in Expedition mode. I'm using the latest version according to the version check.

Whenever I try to 'apply' settings in the profiler, I get an Unhandled Exception message stating that I do not have access to C:\Users\Name\Documents\EDProfiler\Backups\DisplaySettings.backup.

I do have access permission for the User directory for everything else bar this file. Any clues? Can't run EDProfiler (ver3.3) as administrator as that option does not exist.

Whenever I try to 'apply' settings in the profiler, I get an Unhandled Exception message stating that I do not have access to C:\Users\Name\Documents\EDProfiler\Backups\DisplaySettings.backup.

I do have access permission for the User directory for everything else bar this file. Any clues? Can't run EDProfiler (ver3.3) as administrator as that option does not exist.

Can you give yourself permissions to the file in the Security tab of its Properties? Or you could just try deleting the file and seeing if it will create a new one.

Thank you for the advice. I can and do give myself permission. As per your suggestion, I deleted the file. I still got the error message but it created a new DisplaySettings.backup file. I make the assumption that the profile will be applied. Is it possible to launch Elite VR from the ED Profiler? When I hit the 'Launch Elite' button, it opens the Elite dialog box but when I hit play, it opens the pancake version. Seems I can only start Elite through Steam VR.

Thank you for the advice. I can and do give myself permission. As per your suggestion, I deleted the file. I still got the error message but it created a new DisplaySettings.backup file. I make the assumption that the profile will be applied. Is it possible to launch Elite VR from the ED Profiler? When I hit the 'Launch Elite' button, it opens the Elite dialog box but when I hit play, it opens the pancake version. Seems I can only start Elite through Steam VR.

On the left side of EDProfiler, look for the dropdown "VR / 3D" and set it to HMD Headphones.

Thank you, once again, for the advice. I can now start Elite through the Profiler. But, changes I make in the Profiler seem to have no effect. I deleted the DisplaySettings.backup file then created a new profile. This created a new DisplaySettings.backup file but it still did not change the settings in the game.

Top Bottom