EDProfiler - A New Display Switcher/Robust Settings Profiler/Switcher/Detector!

Thanks for this; I wonder if there would be a way to get render distances for things like shadows and other fps impacting effects into the "extra settings" screen. The goal would be to allow me to set the quality higher but only render the effect when up close so reduce the performance hit in VR; since I can really only see them up close anyway.

Something weird has been going on with mine between the Profiler and SteamVR, seems like some conflict, usually I can launch the first time with the Profiler, but then I can't close out steamVR, the app hangs and ties up a bunch of tasks forcing me to kill and restart steam. The profiler itself seems to launch oddly if steamVR is already running, taking a long time to load and loading in "segments" like it's hanging in places for a few seconds. using version 3.3 of the profiler, and the current live version of steamVR.

Also steam has changed the way the library handles launching Ed, this might be related, launching directly from the library bypasses the the ED launcher and opens the game logging you in automatically.

I installed this program to quickly change my HUD and then I realized how much I like my HUD being orange, so then I try uninstalling it, and it's spread through 20 random folders! How in the world do you uninstall this thing!? At least have something that's obviously written 'this program is very hard to uninstall'.

Your profiler should at least let me choose where it's installed and give me an uninstall program, instead of barging into my computer and hiding in the deepest catacombs of my local folder, hidden with all the other important stuff. Honestly, I want to go as far as to tell people not to install this program until it lets you do anything with its installation and uninstallation process.

Last edited:
I installed this program to quickly change my HUD and then I realized how much I like my HUD being orange, so then I try uninstalling it, and it's spread through 20 random folders! How in the world do you uninstall this thing!? At least have something that's obviously written 'this program is very hard to uninstall'.

Your profiler should at least let me choose where it's installed and give me an uninstall program, instead of barging into my computer and hiding in the deepest catacombs of my local folder, hidden with all the other important stuff. Honestly, I want to go as far as to tell people not to install this program until it lets you do anything with its installation and uninstallation process.
Wow. It’s just in the ED settings folders, man.

You know this guy made a powerful app for you to use as donationware.... time to check your attitude.

Heyup, great great tool, however, when I click launch elite, it doesnt load the VR version of the game, i have the oculus version, is this a known issue or have I messed something up?

Hi Dr. Kaii and all!

During the DW2 journey I was using the CMDR Logs function of the tool in Expedition mode to capture LOG messages and screenshots.
Eventually the tool EDProfiler stopped reacting to the updates and would show an our-of-memory exception once I tried to close/restart it.

Has anybody experienced similar problems and hints how to mitigate that?
Thanks for any hint!

hi all,

can someone please expalin me, how the "Travel Log" thing works? i selected the paths, and then it says: start ED and wait for the import of the"visited systems" into the galaxy map

whats that all about? i dont get it.. no clue... -.-

thanks

I had some issues with a hard drive and had to change the install location to a different drive. Now the program crashes when clicking on various presets and is referencing the old file location. Has anyone figured out how to change the file path?

Edit:
NVM found the config in an earlier post, I had searched but didn't find it until later. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi
How do i use this for custom binds ? do i set them up ingame then somehow this finds the binds? when i close the game ?
Or do i setup binds in the program?
its working for graphics and VR mode.
But my key binds get lost .

You may select your keybind file to go along with the graphics profile, but you set your actual keybinds up in Elite itself.

Hi Dr Kaii. Wondering if there's any update on the tone maps ever being fixed. Has Frontier even hinted at a remote possibility of it coming back? I know some people don't have this experience, but many do, in that the game in VR now is so bright and washed out that it is unplayable. It makes me sad. Is it worth holding onto hope or is this just a lost cause? Thanks for all you do.

@drkaii First of all, thanks for all of your amazing work on this project.
Are you able to shed some light on fixing the black levels in vr? The brightness on the skybox is so washed out it's almost nauseating when turning.
What's the hope of seeing an update for EDProfiler that supports the new lighting system? Or maybe the chance of disabling the new lighting system?

Last edited:
Just letting people know that for some reason my site, specifically the Tools and EDProfiler pages, are getting flagged as Phishing, I got a report about it just now. Dealing with it. Can't see anything on the server, or on the links when I view the page. Could be a false positive or some kind of alias on other DNSs, but please understand, if you see any messages, I assure you I am not trying to do anything dodgy :)

Just letting people know that for some reason my site, specifically the Tools and EDProfiler pages, are getting flagged as Phishing, I got a report about it just now. Dealing with it. Can't see anything on the server, or on the links when I view the page. Could be a false positive or some kind of alias on other DNSs, but please understand, if you see any messages, I assure you I am not trying to do anything dodgy :)

First of all, thanks for all of your amazing work on this project.
Are you able to shed some light on fixing the black levels in vr? The brightness on the skybox is so washed out it's almost nauseating when turning.
What's the hope of seeing an update for EDProfiler that supports the new lighting system? I submitted a support request regarding tone maps like you asked.

Last edited:
Just downloaded this as I'll be starting in VR tomorrow. It's very powerful but the UI is awfully crowded, you need to click very precisely, and the tiny fonts hurt my eyes. I think using a bit more space and giving the UI some room to breathe would be an enormous improvement.

Thanks for your suggestion. I have grappled with the UI and feel I have reached the best solution given all the factors involved but I will consider ways to make it larger in the future.

As for the tone mapping, Frontier have not said anything about it, so don't hold your breath. There's nothing I can do and suggest that, if you don't play in VR, try something like ReShade.

Finally, got the site removed from the blacklists that thought it was a phishing site. Apparently, the facebook button was the cause (overzealous). Cheers!

Hello everyone, I’m currently seeing zero difference when manually modifying the GraphicsConfigFile xml. In particular the reference node file and the filmic tone mapping values within. Dr Kaii has mentioned this in the post above me. So has frontier switched this off along with the configuration override file ? Many thanks for any confirmation.

Flimley

Last edited:
Top Bottom