Release EDRefCard - makes a printable reference card of your controller bindings

Hi everyone, I hope you are all good and safe. I wanted to use this wonderful tool but it say that my controller is not supported. I have a wireless Xbox one controller. I'm sorry if this as been posted before. I would gladly like to use this tool. Thank you and take care. : )

Hi everyone, I hope you are all good and safe. I wanted to use this wonderful tool but it say that my controller is not supported. I have a wireless Xbox one controller. I'm sorry if this as been posted before. I would gladly like to use this tool. Thank you and take care. : )
Hmm I would have expected a wireless XBox One controller to be already supported. Please create a persistent save, by supplying some text in the description field, and let me know the resulting URL for the saved config. From that I should be able to extract the device ID and get it properly mapped.

Just found this unbelievably wonderful little gem. Awesome bit of work. Thank you so much. O7 O7 O7 :)

EDRefCard is a website that can take your custom bindings file and generate a beautiful printable reference card for both your keyboard and controller, be it a gamepad, joystick or HOTAS.

Last edited:
Hi. I run a VKB Gunfighter with MCG-PRO (Modern Combat Grip PRO) which isn't yet supported, when you get a chance can you map it up?

Reference images:

Device ID (from binds file) seems to be 231D0125
Stick Joy_XAxis and Joy_YAxis (no twist/Joy_ZAxis except I have VKB pedals connected to it, so with same ID, for this)
Dual trigger (small one) Joy_1 and Joy_2
Folding trigger (large one) Joy_3
  • flipped up - Joy_24 (constant)
  • down - nothing
Red button Joy_4
Top right button Joy_5
Bottom right button Joy_6
On stick/grip button (LHS below thumb hat hat) Joy_7
Brake lever "Dial" (not sure what this is in binds file)
Analog stick
  • click Joy_8
  • X axis (aka "slider") Joy_RZAxis Up=Neg_Joy_RZAxis Down=Pos_Joy_RZAxis
  • Y axis (aka "Z rotation") Joy_UAxis Left=Neg_Joy_UAxis Right=Pos_Joy_UAxis
POV (top center)
  • Joy_POV1Up
  • Joy_POV1Down
  • Joy_POV1Left
  • Joy_POV1Right
  • press and hold 2 sec change mode to "trimmer axis" (where, when you let go the value remains as set rather than recentering)
    • up/down "X rotation" (not sure what this would be in binds file)
    • left/right "Y rotation" (not sure what this would be in binds file)
Thumb hat
  • click Joy_9
  • forward Joy_10
  • right Joy_11
  • back Joy_12
  • left Joy_13
Center hat
  • up Joy_14
  • right Joy_15
  • down Joy_16
  • left Joy_17
  • click Joy_18
Forefinger hat (RHS)
  • up Joy_19
  • forward Joy_20
  • down Joy_21
  • back Joy_22
  • click Joy_23

I know this is an old forum post but i cant find my answers anywhere, how does this work how do i transfer the binds into the game, when i put it in one of the bind files for the ones that are preset in the game that preset dissapears in game, i dont understand how to make this work

I know this is an old forum post but i cant find my answers anywhere, how does this work how do i transfer the binds into the game, when i put it in one of the bind files for the ones that are preset in the game that preset dissapears in game, i dont understand how to make this work

Very briefly:

Download the binds file you want from the bottom of the website page detailing the binds that you are interested in using (right-click and select "save link as")

Change the name of the downloaded file to a name of your choice - "A NAME".3.0.binds

Now you need to edit that "A NAME".3.0.binds file, so right-click and select "open with" and choose "notepad" in the window that opens next and click OK.

You will see a text file where the top two lines are:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<Root PresetName="Custom" MajorVersion="3" MinorVersion="0">

You need to change the word "Custom" (or another name if it had been changed by the originator) to a name of your choice ("A NAME") - this is what shows in the drop-down list in the game. Having changed that name now just save and close the notepad window.

Now copy that file and paste it into your Options\Bindings directory (%LOCALAPPDATA%\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings).

Now start the game, go to Options / Controls and click the Preset drop-down menu arrow, scroll (if needed) to the "A NAME" name, click the name and then click apply at the bottom of the page.

Go play your game with these "A NAME" settings.

Last edited:
Just want to say this has been a complete godsend coming back to the game for the first time in five years.
luckily I found my original Thrustmaster T.Flight X because I couldn’t see the T.Flight HOTAS One in the supported list although it is virtually the same layout.

@VerticalBlank

First of all, Thank You! Maintaining this service must take a lot of time, and it is greatly appreciated.
If you need any further info, please let me know.

Please upload your config to <https://beta.edrefcard.info>, supplying a description so that it is saved, and let me know the resulting URL
Please create a persistent save, by supplying some text in the description field, and let me know the resulting URL for the saved config.

I'm getting the "Unknown Controller Detected" notice for the bindings saved at: https://beta.edrefcard.info/binds/jkqrjf
Out of my 3 connected controllers, the only one listed under "Supported Devices" is my rudder pedals, so the "unknown device" may actually
be both of the others? The TrackIR isn't a "traditional" HID-type device (no buttons, etc) but ED recognized it, and mapped my head-look
axes automagically so there must be some type of interaction with the ED control mapper.

My setup is:
Saitek X-65F (2011, pre-Madcatz) USB\VID_06A3&PID_0B6A&REV_0165

Saitek (shows as MadCatz) Combat Rudder Pedals USB\VID_06A3&PID_0764&REV_0201

TrackIR 5 USB\VID_131D&PID_0158&REV_0000
(listed under "Natural Point Devices in Device Manager)

I also have TM MFD Cougars and an OLD (2006) Steel Series Z-Board Fang gamepad that I could supply VID&PID info for if
needed, but I don't currently use them in Elite.

One thing about controller config in ED that I wish I knew when I was starting out:
ED's built-in control mapper will only recognize 32 digital controls (buttons/switches, etc) on any single controller.
The game, however, will accept key commands sent by (I assume) any number of controls.
So to use all 46 of my X-65F's buttons, I open ED's Options\Controls and set my desired key command key for each function in the built-in
mapper, deleting any existing mappings to stick & throttle buttons, (be sure your analog axes are set as desired, too) and I save that .binds
file. I later rename the .binds file from the default "custom.binds" to a name that matches the X-65 profile I create below.
Then, I program my HOTAS using the key commands in that .binds file so I can assign any function to any button I want. Once I'm in-game,
I simply choose the .binds file that matches the profile I have loaded into my HOTAS, and I'm up & flying.

O7,
- CMDR LuckyStiff

This is AMAZING! Thankfully I found a lost Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X, but had bought a ONE when I thought it was lost - this will be my backup but I see there is no preset for the ONE model. How can I help you get this added in? I had a quick look online for images but none that are all that clear for the other buttons.
When I initially connected the ONE up, ED actually recognised it with some preset bindings.

Here is the URL https://beta.edrefcard.info/binds/xkqfxn (URL updated)

I am using a CH Pro Throttle and a Logitech Wingman Extreme joystick (in my binds file as Device="046DC207").

This is an image of the joystick
View attachment 167349
Button 1 is the trigger, button 2/3 is left of the HAT, button 4/5 is right of the HAT (2 and 5 are the top of each pair), button 6 is on the corner of the base, button 7 is between 6 and the stick. The HAT makes up the rest of the buttons. The stick has X,Y, twist(Z) and a throttle-like axis (RXAxis).
I have the same device with Device ID of VID_046D&PID_C283

Also I have another device of Saitek cyborg 3d force with a ID of VID_06A3&PID_FF12

cyborg3d.gif

I have no idea which key is which lol where do we can check that? :D

In Windows USB controller setup (choose controller, choose proprieties ), you can check which button is numbered XX.

Not able to find an adequate photo from backwards sorry its best to use the above I provided I guess. Sorry I would not being able to make one as easy to do a white backgrounded photo but I have no power as I'm kinda dying from toothache and antibiotics I use :(
ApplicationFrameHost_j5DjKpWqkp.jpg

Unknown controller detected
You have a device that is not supported at this time. Please report details of your device by following the link at the bottom of this page supplying the reference "dzybih" and we will attempt to add support for it.

I am on PC but using an Xbox Controller + Wireless Adapter for Windows 10

Got the Unknown controller detected message with my Virpil CM2 Throttle and MS Sidewinder Force Feedback 2.

You have a device that is not supported at this time. Please report details of your device by following the link at the bottom of this page supplying the reference "fwvtxg" and we will attempt to add support for it.

The Virpil throttle is here:

There are some line drawings of the CM2 on this page, but I'm not sure if they're ok to use or not:

This one in particular looks useful (url taken from that forum post):
Source: https://i.imgur.com/Xfrj0xW.jpg

The sidewinder force feedback 2 I can find patents for with line drawings...not sure if those are fair use or free to use (they are publicly available patent docs...but I don't know what the laws/rules are for using images from a patent):

This image looks potentially viable if patent images are ok to use:

I have a photo of my stick, but i don't think its what yout want or usable (but if you can make use of it, feel free to use it, modify it, or whatever you like):
Source: https://i.imgur.com/A0xhNhN.jpg

Such a great tool -- amazing concept and execution! Works great for me.

One additional feature I'd love is the option to generate a dark themed version of the card (black background, white main text). I think this would be easier on the eyes when playing at night with the refcard image on my second monitor.

Thanks again for this!

Hi,

I'm probably doing something wrong but whenever I submit my binds file I get a pageful of python errors spat back at me.

any idea what could be causing this?
1590421753870.png

Top Bottom