Release EDSM - Elite Dangerous Star Map

Yes, keeping in mind I didn't know about the 1/32 grid when I was speculating.

Sorry, that last part about the coordinates was a reply to the next response whch I neglected to quote anything from and the forum merged my two posts together.

Now (this is for Anthornet I think) in check-coordinates, there is a matrix of 1s and 0s which gets longer the more variations there are. I presume this identified which particular "blue dot" and/or combination of distances is under consideration for that particular variation? Also, there is an angle shown? What is the angle (shouldn't there be 3 angles?)

This is one of the angles between the shown system and the system we are trying to locate, for this variation?

Yes coordinates are stored in INT and divided by 32 to show on the FrontEnd.

The matrix represent the references systems (4 each time) (EDIT: They are now shown in blue so you can see them) we took to calculate a coordinates, then those coordinates are tested on the set of chosen distances.
When the coordinates are good and they is only one matching all distances, we test it against a cube around those coordinates to determine if they could be other coordinates in that grid.
For performance we limit the distances to 32.

To select those distances, we took the closest distances and the farthest (The first two distance shown), which give us a pretty good vector for the system we are trying to find the coordinates,
then all distances we have are sorted by the angle from this vector and we took the 30 first to come.
It gives us less calculus to handle the matrix.
At first only the first submitted distances where taken, so all distances submitted after where not taken into account, and sometimes with bad distances it gives bad results.
I try after to randomize the selected distances, but sometimes, results where differing so now we are sorting by angle so we have always the same results when coordinates are checked again.

Last edited:
Heyyy Inhumierer... I want to consume your API for a little project (shouldn't be causing hits on your site of more than a couple per hour on average, going to show it off when I have something presentable), and it would be really nifty if you could offer a "fuzzy search" for system names. Your database backend probably has a "fuzzy select" feature built in already and it should be easy to tune it so that simple typos in long system names would result in a couple of likely results.

If you could make that happen I would be happy to contribute something towards your operating costs.

Heyyy Inhumierer... I want to consume your API for a little project (shouldn't be causing hits on your site of more than a couple per hour on average, going to show it off when I have something presentable), and it would be really nifty if you could offer a "fuzzy search" for system names. Your database backend probably has a "fuzzy select" feature built in already and it should be easy to tune it so that simple typos in long system names would result in a couple of likely results.

If you could make that happen I would be happy to contribute something towards your operating costs.

Hi,
we do not have any fuzzy search actually. But you can find systems by entering only a portion of his name.

If you have more details we may find a solution to suit your needs.

As AnthorNet already wrote, we actually do not have a fuzzy search. And since tools like EDDiscovery & AndDiscovered get spread around, typos become very rare.
Can you describe your idea of a fuzzy search a bit more? What do you expect?

I know about searching by partial name, and that's great. My need is to find systems provided by other people who may have made typos. Specifically, this is for the fuel rats. We need to quickly find out the location of clients and they're very often a bit clueless.

Very interesting explanations, thanks for th eitme and effort!

On a side note, as mentioned before, it seems quite hard to trilaterate systems in my region of space ( 60k+ Ly), and suggestions on the number of systems I should be aiming for as a "good start"? I'm currently trying to work out the best systems to use for my trilateraitons, once I have a list of 10-20 systems that consistantly works in my region of space, I'll start logging a lot more systems, though it does take a lot of time at present, so I usually only try to log one every 600-1200Ly.

Z...

Very interesting explanations, thanks for th eitme and effort!

On a side note, as mentioned before, it seems quite hard to trilaterate systems in my region of space ( 60k+ Ly), and suggestions on the number of systems I should be aiming for as a "good start"? I'm currently trying to work out the best systems to use for my trilateraitons, once I have a list of 10-20 systems that consistantly works in my region of space, I'll start logging a lot more systems, though it does take a lot of time at present, so I usually only try to log one every 600-1200Ly.

Z...

I'd be curious as to how you'd get on with my page (downloadable from https://github.com/SteveHodge/ed-systems). Once you've entered 3 distances it should be able to suggest systems that will enable the trilateration to succeed.

Allright, kinda only registered to check out how this works. Manually entered a system in the database now, seemed to work. It seems there are some helper programs for this process, I will investigate further.

Manually entered a system in the database now, seemed to work. It seems there are some helper programs for this process, I will investigate further.
FYI the EDCodex entry lists three tools that you can use to interact with EDSM, rather than inputting system names manually.

Last edited:
Yeah, went ahead and got EDDiscovery. Not certain how this will help exactly, unless verboselogging also outputs to netlog all distance queries made through galaxy map interface...

I was supposed to go on a test ride, but ED servers seem to be a bit down (for me at least) at the moment. Oh well, life is.

EDIT: Well, that test flight certainly didn't last long...

Last edited:
Ah well - at least there's the quick entry to add distance to next system. I suppose if you'd send a fleet of explorers to the same, rather small, area of space, doing random routes, everyone uploading their route to EDSM/EDSC, you might get some trilaterations from all the intersecting courses! Note how I said a 'fleet' of explorers. :)

Anyway at least now I'll finally have some kind of history of where I've been. I'm tired of waiting FD to fix up some kind of exploration data history lookup :p

ps. 1.4 should fix galaxy map lookup, getting trilateration data for missing systems should get much, much easier after patch

Hi AnthorNet / RedWizzard!

I've just registered with the web interface, but is there any chance you could merge my web account with my previous EDD2 submissions please?
Name is in the sig. :)

I also make no apologies for submitting some extreme system locations "by proxy".
Instead of visiting KV Ursae Majoris, I took measurements from a load of systems across the galaxy to lock it down.
Same with MM Velorum, Cygni X-3 and so on. The end result is that I was being offered KV Ursae Majoris, MM Velorum and Eta Carinae as suggestions very often while I was heading rimward recently.

Last edited:
If you're talking about your EDSC submissions, done that.
And why apologise for submitting distances? That's what I do most of the time, submitting distances from well known systems to unknown or unsure systems. I bet that 90 or 95% of my distances were from known locations.

I also make no apologies for submitting some extreme system locations "by proxy".
Instead of visiting KV Ursae Majoris, I took measurements from a load of systems across the galaxy to lock it down.
Same with MM Velorum, Cygni X-3 and so on. The end result is that I was being offered KV Ursae Majoris, MM Velorum and Eta Carinae as suggestions very often while I was heading rimward recently.

I use that technique sometimes as well. Anyone doing that with my page might want to turn on expert mode in the settings as it helps with tracking which systems have been located and which ones need more distances.

Top Bottom