Release EDSM - Elite Dangerous Star Map

Many Thanks GraphiteGB , I was grasping at straws as i cannot see my old route and retrace it with the new exploration tools . Thanks for your quick response

A small query . How far back would EDSM go back ? I'm an Xbox peasant and been playing for about 3 years , I had a trip out to Beagle about 2 1/2 years ago (but i have no historic trips via fdev and no response from them with ref to the ticket ) and was wondering if EDSM would be able to take data that far back ? Thanks in advance
I think it's 25 days back. It was introduced with update 3.3 (December 2018). So 2 1/2 years back would have been to far back anyway.

A small query . How far back would EDSM go back ? I'm an Xbox peasant and been playing for about 3 years , I had a trip out to Beagle about 2 1/2 years ago (but i have no historic trips via fdev and no response from them with ref to the ticket ) and was wondering if EDSM would be able to take data that far back ? Thanks in advance

I presume you’re sending data to EDSM from something like EDDiscovery? I seem to remember the log files format changed a while ago and had to be imported into EDD. So maybe that’s your problem?
Though my memory is not good!

Hi, I just decided to join EDSM and I'm wondering about a couple of the badges which I haven't been awarded:- "Best friend forever!" and "Work best as a team!"

How do these get awarded as I already have more than 10 friends...
Replying to my own message I believe (I could be wrong) that these get awarded if your in game friends also use EDSM as I just got the "Best friend forever!" badge after two of my friends, who use EDSM, logged on whilst I was playing.

Seems the records for coldest brown dwarfs are not right on EDSM. In middle of December found a Y star with temps of 270k-around the temperature on ELWs so checked EDSM records and the coldest Y star was registered at a chilly 168k.

But a week later I found a T star with temp of 701k so checked it out on EDSM and the lowest registered there is 994k. As most of the T stars found are colder than 994k this is incorrect. Then noticed the coldest Y star on EDSM has now warmed up to 655k!

They are not as broken as the coldest L star- EDSM has that registered at 0k- which makes it the coldest place the universe. 😂

A question about expeditions. Why is there a minimum of 10 for an expedition? I play alone -- I admit I am quite solitary, I don't play regularly and I'm not as nimble with controls as many seem to be, so I tend to keep to myself -- and I'd like to set myself a nice goal, keep to it, and see it marked on my travel map. Is there any way this could be arranged?

It doesn't have to be an official 'expedition', as on the 'Expeditions' page. Just some way of marking a period of travel as distinct. Perhaps marking the jumps in a different colour, and in the flight log marking them as an 'expedition'. An 'expeditions' page where I can click on an expedition, and it brings up flight logs, travel data, and such, for that defined period... like the standard interface but with defined endpoints. (I'm sorry, my brain isn't working well today so I'm having difficulty putting my ideas down.)

I'd like to go off around the galaxy on nice long trips. And I keep thinking of a certain famous 5-year mission. Each year could be a different colour. I don't know. And I apologise for rambling. I think it would be nice for us solo players to be able to keep track of our trips and have 'expeditions' too.

Thank you, and apologies yet again for any inconvenient incoherence.

Think you can already do this in EDDiscovery. Set a start & end marker for statistics calculation, change colour of track history...
But having done DW2 last year I’d recommend signing up to an organised expedition, together with membership of Fleetcom or Mobius etc private groups to minimise any griefing. I normally play solo but exploring with an organised expedition adds greatly to the fun and you’ll make new friends. A properly planned expedition will cater for people flying at different times of day and different speeds.

Is there a way to increase the zoom out on the commander's travel map? I just finished circumnavigating the galaxy and I'm trying to get the full circle to show for screen shots.

XBox player here. For some reason when I try to log into EDSM it says no account is found. I do have an account though, which was working fine two days ago. I try to enter my email again but then it tells me that my email is already being used. How do I get back into my account?

Do I need to keep my browser window open during the import of the journal? The files process quickly, but then it very slowly goes through every entry in those files. Is all this happening on the server or in my browser? Can I close my browser and the server will keep processing my files, or will closing the browser interrupt the process?

UPDATE - I found the API documentation and wrote my own Python script to upload my journals. It's no faster than manually uploading them via browser, but I can just leave it run without the overhead of a full-blown browser like Firefox.

Last edited:
who do i need to speak to about a password reset on EDSM? I've used the button but it doesn't send an email. I know i have an account with that particular email but i can't get in.

who do i need to speak to about a password reset on EDSM? I've used the button but it doesn't send an email. I know i have an account with that particular email but i can't get in.

@LooseMoose & @monogenetic: I think you’d do better raising these issues on the EDSM discord (I guess there is one).

Edit: yes there is, there’s a link on the bottom of the EDSM FAQ page
The EDSM devs are more likely to see you on that, or someone will know the answer to your issues.

Last edited:
Hi! Over the last couple of days, I've noticed errors cropping up when I import my journal:
1580558373744.png

All the rest of the data from the journal will process just fine, just leaving these. I've not been able to find anything useful on Google or the forum, anyone have any suggestions please?
TIA! :)

did biggest radius disappear from the galactic records or was It never there? bc it shows smallest in earth radius, then coldest.

could be a a visual thing too, maybe, I open in smartphone opera

did biggest radius disappear from the galactic records or was It never there? bc it shows smallest in earth radius, then coldest.

could be a a visual thing too, maybe, I open in smartphone opera

see screenshots taken now

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200202-193904.jpg
    Screenshot_20200202-193904.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 217
  • Screenshot_20200202-193832.jpg
    Screenshot_20200202-193832.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 221
I've been incommuncida for several months. Now trying to upload journal files for the missing data. Getting an error message "The commander name in one of the journal file (LoadGame event) is not the same as your current commander name on EDSM. Some journal file(s) will not be processed." However it is the same CMdr name!

I've been incommuncida for several months. Now trying to upload journal files for the missing data. Getting an error message "The commander name in one of the journal file (LoadGame event) is not the same as your current commander name on EDSM. Some journal file(s) will not be processed." However it is the same CMdr name!
Sometimes this is due to a mismatch in character encodings: it can happen if you open the journal file with a dumb text editor. The journal files should be in UTF-8.

Top Bottom