Release EDSM - Elite Dangerous Star Map

I think I'm going to have to stay confused.
Those 2 systems, the Greou Eor and Plua Thoi are in the same Galactic Sector, Errant Marches.

So, someone reported a Neutron Star in Plua Thoi. You then found one on Greou Eor, which confirmed that Neutron Stars exist in the Errant Marches sector. So you got a Confirmation entry.

That's how the Codex works. It's not a personal log, it just records stuff that you've found as confirmation of that type of body in that sector.

Only one person can be the first to find that type of body in that sector, and they get the "reported" entry. Everyone else gets confirmation entries.

It's like a checklist of stuff, in each sector.

Those 2 systems, the Greou Eor and Plua Thoi are in the same Galactic Sector, Errant Marches.

So, someone reported a Neutron Star in Plua Thoi. You then found one on Greou Eor, which confirmed that Neutron Stars exist in the Errant Marches sector. So you got a Confirmation entry.

That's how the Codex works. It's not a personal log, it just records stuff that you've found as confirmation of that type of body in that sector.

Only one person can be the first to find that type of body in that sector, and they get the "reported" entry. Everyone else gets confirmation entries.

It's like a checklist of stuff, in each sector.
Ah, now that is a great and clear explanation, thank you...

Is there any plans to add estimated scan value exobiologist totals since last docking like there are estimated scan value totals of star systems?

Hi All,
I recently changed my CMDR name, but now EDSM is not syncing. Is there any way to correct this without losing all my previous data?

Well, there are more than 600 biological codex entries in IOS, there are only 86 on EDSM. And I know for sure that several players submit everything they find to EDSM/EDDN, so the EDSM codex isn't updated at all.

Where are you getting your data about EDSM? That number doesn't make any sense at all.

Which show bios only found in the Inner Orion Spur! You've missed out most of the galaxy, even some of the older bios only appear in one particular region and nowhere else, so of course showing bios for only one region will only get you a small selection of the total bios.

In fact this is exactly what I thought you were doing when I asked.

I don't disagree that the codex is somewhat dodgy, but it is also in game. People may in fact have scanned other bios in the region that don't show up even in the ingame codex, that was a big issue a while back with Anemones not showing properly, don't know if they ever fixed that properly.

Last edited:
Well. Open the in game codex. Go to IOS. There are more than 600 biological codex entries in IOS alone.
So 86 entries on EDSM is way too few.

Well. Open the in game codex. Go to IOS. There are more than 600 biological codex entries in IOS alone.
So 86 entries on EDSM is way too few.

Yeah that is a good point I do concede that, I think the changes in the way the bio reports in the journal may have changed which makes updating outside websites with that data more difficult than pre-Odyssey, I mean we don't even have the pictures and there's some buggy names in the EDSM codex as well. Odyssey was a huge update as far as bios go and the new procedural method of placing the bio on planets maybe broke a lot of the old API stuff. it would be interesting to compare the old journals to the new ones.

One interesting point I can see where the issue may be happening is the way we scan the bio now. For instance if I use the old scanner method of scanning bios, the scanner on the ship or in the SRV, I get a report in the EDDiscovery history page of a codex discovery, and I get paid for that codex discovery, but if I use the new method of scanning 3 samples for Vista Genomics with the tool on foot I don't get a codex entry report in EDDiscovery, so it appears the on foot scanning uses a different method to add data to the in game codex. It probably doesn't actually get added until we sell the data to Vista Genomics and then may make a bulk report that's not explicable in the outside tools. It would be interesting to scan some bio using the old method to see if that updates the EDSM codex or not!

I'm well aware of all these things.
EDSM seems to have stopped processing CodexEntry events as some new entries I sent to EDSM in the last day aren't even in the nightly codex dump. So it's not just the visible EDSM codex that's out of date, it's the entire codex system.

€: Anthor just confirmed on Discord that the entries sent to him are in fact stored, but not processed, so the EDSM codex is in fact faulty.

As for the ScanOrganics events: Don't worry a new panel is coming in the next major release ;)
Screenshot 2022-01-03 133952.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Cmdrs
Having trouble linking my new PC steam account to EDSM. No matter what I try it just picks up my old PS4 account, even though i'm verifying through steam and i dont even give any old account details (its even a clean build so no cookies from old account )
If I create an EDSM account (rather then FDEV validate) that works but does that pick up journal info?
different cmdr name, different email

Confused

Hi Cmdrs
Having trouble linking my new PC steam account to EDSM. No matter what I try it just picks up my old PS4 account, even though i'm verifying through steam and i dont even give any old account details (its even a clean build so no cookies from old account )
If I create an EDSM account (rather then FDEV validate) that works but does that pick up journal info?
different cmdr name, different email

Confused
EDSM does not pick up or link to your commander itself. It is other third party tools that do that for your e.g. EDDI, EDDiscovery. In those tools you supply the location of your journals and your EDSM API key. They then send your journal data to EDSM tagged with the API key. You will need to find out which tool(s) you have set up to send data to EDSM.

EDSM does not pick up or link to your commander itself.
yep It only uses CAPI access for console players as they don't have uploading function...
For PC it requires third party add-ons or manual uploads of completed log files from the days before...
Screenshot_20220113_114535.png

You can do it manualy or use tools like limpet journal web site to auto mate uploads if you dont want to install addons to the PC.. (aka its a work issued PC or you play via geforce now )

Last edited:
Is anyone having issues with EDSM updating their progress? I play on Xbox, everything is linked correctly and I'm on my dashboard and it counts down, refreshes and does nothing. The current date says January 25th, yet none of my progress for this entire month has been saved. EDSM twitter claims everything is a-okay but on my end its not

I've unlinked and relinked the account dozens of times, reset the API key, refreshed the auth token. Nothing is working

Is anyone having issues with EDSM updating their progress? I play on Xbox, everything is linked correctly and I'm on my dashboard and it counts down, refreshes and does nothing. The current date says January 25th, yet none of my progress for this entire month has been saved. EDSM twitter claims everything is a-okay but on my end its not

I've unlinked and relinked the account dozens of times, reset the API key, refreshed the auth token. Nothing is working
Just a quick thing..
Did you fill in your live details manualy typing each letter after cicking the green Xbox icon or did the Xbox account auto complete when you clicked the Xbox icon...
Many PS4 users only get the correct syncing when they manualy are able to type in the email and password in the SONY ID log in box
Having the cookie from PSN/Live remember normaly fails to get the correct account syncing...
Screenshot_20220125_193927.png

Top Bottom