Discussion EDSM not updating after return to game

Tally Ho CMDRs

I stopped playing ED in the middle of last year due to personal circumstances, but glad to say that I recently returned the game. I had forgotten how long it had been...

Now that I'm back, my INARA still seems to work, but EDSM no longer updates for me. I have no idea if I need to setup an API for it again....

I'd be grateful for some help or pointers to get this sorted.

Yours Aye

Mark H

Which one? The PC (no idea, sorry) or the PS4 account?
If PS4, just go to console updater, use the frontier Sony auth and authorize Inara EDSM to fetch your FD data. Perhaps you need to unlink the previous API key first (under security) but EDSM will tell you so.
Then leave the browser update window open for some hours. Putting it into background might stop the script.

Last edited:
Which one? The PC (no idea, sorry) or the PS4 account?
If PS4, just go to console updater, use the frontier Sony auth and authorize Inara EDSM to fetch your FD data. Perhaps you need to unlink the previous API key first (under security) but EDSM will tell you so.
Then leave the browser update window open for some hours. Putting it into background might stop the script.

Thank you for the reply
It's my PC account

What tool are you using to send the data to EDSM?
Thanks for the response
That's where my expertise fails - I have no idea what tools there are - I had a sneaking suspicion that I was using an API key, but please educate me on what tools are options...

Cheers

Mark H

Rampant, tools are the programs you can run, like INARA or ED Discovery (there are many more) that are able with an API code to both get information from ED and share it among themselves.

I was having the same difficulty as you are in that EDSM was not getting my ED information from my play on my PC. The solution for me was to go to EDSM, generate an API code there and then go to ED Discovery (or whatever "tool" you use) and place that code in the settings as called for.

To get an API code at EDSM, use the drop down menu at your commander picture at the upper right of the home screen.

Last edited:
Rampant, tools are the programs you can run, like INARA or ED Discovery (there are many more) that are able with an API code to both get information from ED and share it among themselves.

I was having the same difficulty as you are in that EDSM was not getting my ED information from my play on my PC. The solution for me was to go to EDSM, generate an API code there and then go to ED Discovery (or whatever "tool" you use) and place that code in the settings as called for.

To get an API code at EDSM, use the drop down menu at your commander picture at the upper right of the home screen.

So I can copy the API key from INARA (It appears to me that INARA gets its info from the Frontier Servers, Correct?)

And then paste that key into EDSM? Would that be the solution? What would happen with the data already resident in EDSM, such as old flight logs - I have quite a few "first discovered" things like Wolf Rayets that I would prefer not to be wiped from my EDSM profile, because that's how I keep my records now that I'm a VR user (formerly I logged all exploration to notebooks as I played in pancake)

All help greatly appreciated

Thanks again

Mark H

Yes, that should do it since you know that INARA is getting your info already from ED.

The communications from Frontier Development (FD) AFAIK is one way, in other words read only. The FD servers with your permission give out the data to any of the other programs (tools) that make use of that data to keep track of what we do in ED. Then all those other programs can share, again with your permission, with each other and the API code that each tool gives you is the OK to do the sharing.

So, if you have only one tool (like INARA or EDSM) that is getting the ED info, you can branch from there to any of the other tools.

Your data, your entire history from ED will always be available from the FD servers unless you deliberately go and tell FD to delete your commander information. No matter what may happen with a tool, even if it goes offline for good, or for some reason should lose your data, it's always ready to be sent out again from FD.

Like you, I was off for about a year and on return got everything going again.

So I can copy the API key from INARA (It appears to me that INARA gets its info from the Frontier Servers, Correct?)

And then paste that key into EDSM? Would that be the solution? What would happen with the data already resident in EDSM, such as old flight logs - I have quite a few "first discovered" things like Wolf Rayets that I would prefer not to be wiped from my EDSM profile, because that's how I keep my records now that I'm a VR user (formerly I logged all exploration to notebooks as I played in pancake)

All help greatly appreciated

Thanks again

Mark H
No, the API key is generated by the 3rd part site and not by Frontier. Keys from EDSM and Inara are not cross compatible. Each key is intended to be used solely to connect an application like EDMC, EDDiscovery, EDDI, etc. with the 3rd party website that generated the key and provide authorization for the application to interact with that 3rd party website on your behalf (typically to receive or set personal data).

Here's what you can do:
  • Connect to the Frontier API from both 3rd party sites. Once logged in, the sites will be able to pull your recent logs from Frontier's server.
  • Import your old logs into EDSM. The detailed history available from the Frontier API only goes back about 28 days but you may have local logs on your system that go back further. These are located at [your Saved Games folder]\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\ and EDSM allows you to import your old journal logs to fill in any gaps in your records. This is possible to do via the browser, or I believe EDDiscovery also offers this as a service.
  • Use an application like EDMC, EDDiscovery, EDDI, etc. to upload the new logs you generate as you play the game to EDSM, Inara, etc.

No, the API key is generated by the 3rd part site and not by Frontier. Keys from EDSM and Inara are not cross compatible. Each key is intended to be used solely to connect an application like EDMC, EDDiscovery, EDDI, etc. with the 3rd party website that generated the key and provide authorization for the application to interact with that 3rd party website on your behalf (typically to receive or set personal data).

Here's what you can do:
  • Connect to the Frontier API from both 3rd party sites. Once logged in, the sites will be able to pull your recent logs from Frontier's server.
  • Import your old logs into EDSM. The detailed history available from the Frontier API only goes back about 28 days but you may have local logs on your system that go back further. These are located at [your Saved Games folder]\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\ and EDSM allows you to import your old journal logs to fill in any gaps in your records. This is possible to do via the browser, or I believe EDDiscovery also offers this as a service.
  • Use an application like EDMC, EDDiscovery, EDDI, etc. to upload the new logs you generate as you play the game to EDSM, Inara, etc.

Thank you.
I've relocated my journal files and imported everything since the last EDSM entry. I thought that the journal used to exist in another location, so thanks for sorting that out.
Whatever it is, I definitely cannot set up automatic updates from Fromtier for EDSM, so manual import seems to be the way to go now...

Here's what you can do:
Whatever it is, I definitely cannot set up automatic updates from Fromtier for EDSM, so manual import seems to be the way to go now...
EDSM does not support automatic updates from Frontier on PC-Accounts, only Console-Accounts can do that. You need a 3rd party application.

Top Bottom