Release EDSY - The ship outfitting tool formerly known as E:D Shipyard; reimagined, redesigned, reborn

At long last, I am pleased to announce the general availability of EDSY, a complete redesign of the original Elite Dangerous ship outfitting tool formerly known as E : D Shipyard.

The complete set of changes and updates are too long to list, but here are some highlights:
  • Complete visual redesign featuring a more modern look, more in the style of the game's own UI
  • Integrated Frontier API support to import your recently used ships directly into EDSY
  • Expanded loadout import support to more easily import many ships at once (i.e. your entire fleet)
  • Integrated shortlink support to generate an is.gd link for the current loadout
  • Bulk export of stored builds, modules and settings to more easily migrate and sync them between browsers or devices
  • Better usability on small screens and mobile devices
  • Full power distributor and multi-crew pip modeling
  • Thermal load and heat dissipation modeling
  • "Experimental Mode" to try out fantasy builds with oversized modules, etc
  • All the latest ship, module and blueprint attribute data updates, natch
To easily migrate all your saved builds and modules from the old site, simply visit http://edshipyard.com/migrate.html and click the button.

Post your comments, requests, bug reports and other feedback here, or in #edsy on the EDCD Discord.

EDSY's source code has always been open licensed and freely available, but is now also maintained at https://github.com/taleden/EDSY.

Last edited:
How do I get all the sections to open and remain open? Everytime I select a module, the details section closes and I have to close the modules selection section to see the modules details.

Also, I can't get all the info panes at the bottom open at the same time.

How do I get all the sections to open and remain open? Everytime I select a module, the details section closes and I have to close the modules selection section to see the modules details.

Also, I can't get all the info panes at the bottom open at the same time.
Both of these behaviors are detecting the browser window size and trying to avoid overflowing or overly compressing the content horizontally. So below certain horizontal width thresholds, the outfitting display switches to two- or one-panel mode where the panels are shown and hidden in response to user interaction. I'm planning to add an optional override to this layout behavior, but if your window is narrow enough to be triggering the behavior you describe, you may find that forcing all three panels to be displayed may not look much better.

Likewise, stats panels are automatically toggled off whenever they're too wide for the window, but you can use the toggle buttons to select which stats panels are relevant to what you're working on and display only those. I'll also add an override for that behavior, and then they'll just start scrolling horizontally when the window is too narrow.

The problem is that it takes longer to scroll down. Click on the switch pane button then scroll back up again, than it is too just flick left or right.

Being able to see everything at a glance more than outweighs the occasional need to zoom in or out.

Updated to 3.4.2.1:
  • added Dynamic Outfitting Modes and Dynamic Statistics Panels options to customize layout behavior at narrower window widths
  • fixed ROF of Guardian Gauss Cannons
  • fixed cost and mass of Krait Phantom bulkheads
The problem is that it takes longer to scroll down. Click on the switch pane button then scroll back up again, than it is too just flick left or right.

Being able to see everything at a glance more than outweighs the occasional need to zoom in or out.
Try disabling the Dynamic Statistics Panels options in the latest update; that should let you enable as many stats panels as you want, and if they overflow the window they'll just start scrolling.

Is there a way to import data from Coriolis?
Not presently, because I opted not to spend the time reverse engineering Coriolis' custom export format (again). But there has been some discussion of adding support for both tools to export in Frontier's Journal format in order to be able to export directly to eachother as well as other sites, such as Inara; I've done some work on that and am pretty close to being able to implement it, but I don't know if the Coriolis dev(s) have made any progress there.

Updated to 3.4.2.1:
  • added Dynamic Outfitting Modes and Dynamic Statistics Panels options to customize layout behavior at narrower window widths
  • fixed ROF of Guardian Gauss Cannons
  • fixed cost and mass of Krait Phantom bulkheads
Try disabling the Dynamic Statistics Panels options in the latest update; that should let you enable as many stats panels as you want, and if they overflow the window they'll just start scrolling.

Thanks that's much better. :3

Is this a fundamentally different code base than the one Harry has been supporting at the other address (don't wanna steal your thunder with that link)?

Is this a fundamentally different code base than the one Harry has been supporting at the other address (don't wanna steal your thunder with that link)?
Hardly different. Harry just copied the EDSYv3 beta code to his own site and hacked at it.

In Harry’s defence, an update to EDSY was badly needed at that time — many new modules were missing.

Hardly different. Harry just copied the EDSYv3 beta code to his own site and hacked at it.

In Harry’s defence, an update to EDSY was badly needed at that time — many new modules were missing.
That's right, but still not nice to steal the code from someone and use it without his permission. Have to admit though, I used the updated EDSY during Taledens absence as well, needed it especially during and before DW2.

Switching now back to the original - thanks Taleden!

As mentioned, that site was a clone-and-edit of my EDShipyard v3 preview site (edshipyard.com/new), so the codebases are very similar since they both derive from the same source. But I'm not aware that the other site is actually still supported by Harry, its last update still seems to be from December 2018.

That's right, but still not nice to steal the code from someone and use it without his permission. Have to admit though, I used the updated EDSY during Taledens absence as well, needed it especially during and before DW2.

Switching now back to the original - thanks Taleden!
In fairness, Harry did send a message asking for permission, I just didn't see it for the same reason I wasn't updating EDSY at the time -- I had to take a long break from hobby projects to focus on work/life/etc. When I didn't respond, he went ahead with his clone, but again in fairness that was explicitly permitted by EDSY's Creative Commons license. So although there may be plenty of legitimate reasons to take a dim view of some of Harry's behavior in other contexts, in regards to EDSY I don't think he did anything wrong (except for the shortlink prank, I think that was pretty obnoxious).

That said, I'm glad I was able to get back to maintaining the project myself. :)

I wasn't sure anyone ever used the text export any more, but sure, I can add that back in. I probably won't re-implement importing in that format though,at least not yet.

I, for one, used it extensively. Imported it to Excel an dismounted the lines for further use. Yes, it would be great if it would be back. (y)

I wasn't sure anyone ever used the text export any more, but sure, I can add that back in. I probably won't re-implement importing in that format though,at least not yet.
Thanks!

Personally I love to keep a .txt file with my ships outfits, so I can compare them without having to load X sites/pages.

Updated to 3.4.2.2:
  • added text export format, back by (surprisingly) popular demand
  • added a different green tint for power priotiry groups that fall between 40% and 50% of capacity; these will operate with a damaged Power Plant, but not during a malfunction
  • added support for the +4% power capacity allowance of the Guardian Hybrid Power Distributor
  • fixed the shot speed of fixed medium and large Cannons
  • fixed Shield Generators' negative optimal mass modifier not applying to minimum mass
  • fixed missing mouseover tooltips on Shipyard column headers

Updated to 3.4.2.3:
  • added support for hull and module costs as actual values (i.e. from imported ships) in addition to simple discount levels
  • added support for blueprint rolls of any progress level rather than being limited to the 0/50/80/100% presets (previously imported ships must be re-imported to read progress levels)
  • improved consistency of handling numeric values according to browser locale (i.e. comma decimal separators), both when displaying values and interpreting user inputs
  • added a workaround discount approximation for a game bug that omits module credit costs from imported Journal/API builds

Updated to 3.4.2.4:
  • added support for importing and exporting builds in SLEF format to facilitate interchange with other sites and applications, such as Inara and hopefully eventually Coriolis
  • added support for font and color customization, including applying a GUIColor matrix as is used for custom in-game HUDs
  • added support for sorting Shipyard tables by clicking on column headers, including two sort modes for hardpoint, military and optional internal slots
  • fixed a bug with remembering what stored build name to suggest for a loadout that was imported previously
  • fixed a bug when loading old builds that includ now-obsolte Life Support or Surface Scanner blueprint variants
  • corrected Guardian Frame Shift Drive Booster costs

Top Bottom