Newcomer / Intro Educate me on Passenger Travel

OK, guys, here we go again with the rookie questions.

So I bought an Orca. Flying it around outfitting it I love it. The views are great. I've been doing transport in my Python and it's been doing a commendable job, but I wanted to try out some of the "high end" travel missions that require a luxury suite.

Here's the problem: I've been doing bulk missions so I really didn't care which mission I took. I just realized that there's nothing in this game that tells me in advance what sort of cabin is required UNLESS I don't have that particular cabin fitted.

I just discovered this as I just outfitted the Orca, went to look for people that required a luxury cabin, but had no way of telling who was who. So I got rid of the luxury cabins and outfitted only business and economy and THEN it tells me what cabin I am missing, but not the cabin any particular mission uses.

Here it is in pictures:

Notice here that it tells me that I don't have a first class cabin fitted.

cabin-detail-there.png

OK, but notice here that it still doesn't tell me what sort of cabin this mission uses at all:

no-cabin-detail.png

What's more, even if I click on that particular mission, it doesn't tell me at all what cabin class it requires:

no-cabin-details-2.png

Even when you go to the screen to select the cabin, it doesn't tell you what's required. Now, sure, it shows you that you can use economy, but how on earth are you supposed to plan and outfit in advance when you have no way of knowing which cabin any mission in particular is going to use unless you don't have that cabin fitted?

no-details-3.png

Why can't they list which sort of cabin is required somewhere so that I can plan a loadout without having to refit my ship 5 times as I try to figure out which missions to take?

Or am I missing something really, really simple that's going to make me feel like a patent idiot?

The answer is quite technical and complicated, many Gungans died to bring you this information, so hold on ....

... it doesn't matter. If you can take the mission then you have compatible cabins, just select any that are offered - or, even better, auto-fill

Hope that wasn't too mind-bending ;)

You have to get allied with the local factions before luxury missions start to show up. They do pay more afterwards.

I think in the description of the missions it says what type of cabin you need, working backwards. Meaning you can put economy passengers everywhere, but not business class, etc..

Missions are also station relative, depending on state, economy, etc. I usually have a mix of all cabin types, fill the ship and fly!

You have to get allied with the local factions before luxury missions start to show up. They do pay more afterwards.
Already am. Didn't see any.

I think in the description of the missions it says what type of cabin you need, working backwards.
No, it doesn't. I just posted screen shots of it. There is nothing there on any screen in the game unless you don't have the cabin fitted that is needed.

I haven't seen any luxury missions in a long while, although i haven't particularly looked for them. I think the sightseeing ones used to offer them a fair bit.

No idea if that is still current though.

No, it doesn't. I just posted screen shots of it. There is nothing there on any screen in the game unless you don't have the cabin fitted that is needed.

Correct.
Odyssey passenger missions UI is really lacking. You cant see the cabin required unless you dont have the type, and you cant see the number of passengers until you actually get to place the passengers in the cabins

In Horizons you get this information in the mission description which makes is so much easier to plan what mission to take to optimize rewards versus cabin usage

And it's one year since we have to struggle with this UI, there are little to no chances we will get any UI improvements.
So i usually relog to Horizons everytime i want to do Passenger missions

I don't have Odyssey so my bad. I have a Beluga parked in Robigo and I just keep a couple of luxury cabins onboard. Sometimes you get the missions, or I just use them for first class passengers.

I mostly use a Dolphin for random places, where I just pickup 3-4 sightseeing missions and then fly around! But I've been playing for a while so I have multiple areas of systems where most factions know me well, already allied, so I see quite a few luxury missions. Rich systems, popular tourist locations, places like that.

For me most of the fun anyways is, getting these rich guys onboard, and the mafia lords are sitting in the next cabin putting everyone at risk of dying! But it's a secret! ;)

I saw some of the missions had a red skull on the logo does that mean they are showing us who the wanted passengers are now not just letting us trying to work it out from the mission statement?

OP The only 'passenger missions' I bother with are the ones evacuating burning stations the others were all too annoying, I prefer my cargo to not keep changing its mind or make silly requests to get stuff for it. This is over and above my general disinclination to do missions in general.

Hey Marv, I did a lot of sightseeing tours personally and that led me to now exploring. I believe I was accepting luxury missions when I took off on my own a month or so back. I kept all the cabin class stored in my favorite outfitter to swap around for the occasion. Sometimes two cabins or sometimes a cabin plus cargo. Nice and flexible. Saud Kruger. say it Marv. It's like Martian for Luxury.

You know you're gonna buy the Orca again and experience the true luxury liner, and wish to be in the top 1% of all Liners. Just like you reinstalled the game, Marv. You come into port and they'll be like, Saud Kruger Mike Alpha Romeo, you are clear to land.

Try ripping the cabins out so the mission board list is uniform then build it up for the job. But be careful if the mission list resets!

I prefer my cargo to not keep changing its mind or make silly requests to get stuff for it
I completely ignore them. You load up on my ship, you're going where the ticket says you wanted to go first. No stops, no requests, no detours; and you make a fuss about it you get no in flight coffee and desert cart either. 😁

In Horizons you get this information in the mission description which makes is so much easier to plan what mission to take to optimize rewards versus cabin usage
That's what I had thought. I had originally bought Horizons because of all the bad press against Odyssey and I thought I remembered seeing it but didn't say anything because I wasn't sure. I was also mostly mining back then and thought I may be mistaken.

Thing is, Odyssey looks SO MUCH BETTER than Horizons does I don't think I can go back. I'll just have to live with it. I'm back in the Python now doing mass travel missions to get my rank up in the Federation so I can get the Federal Corvette. I had only wanted to try the high end luxury missions as a change of pace. Didn't work out, sadly.

Oh well. Onward and upward. Back to the grind.

Last edited:
I completely ignore them. You load up on my ship, you're going where the ticket says you wanted to go first. No stops, no requests, no detours; and you make a fuss about it you get no in flight coffee and desert cart either. 😁

That's what I had thought. I had originally bought Horizons because of all the bad press against Odyssey and I thought I remembered seeing it but didn't say anything because I wasn't sure. I was also mostly mining back then and thought I may be mistaken.

Thing is, Odyssey looks SO MUCH BETTER than Horizons does I don't think I can go back. I'll just have to live with it. I'm back in the Python now doing mass travel missions to get my rank up in the Federation so I can get the Federal Corvette. I had only wanted to try the high end luxury missions as a change of pace. Didn't work out, sadly.

Oh well. Onward and upward. Back to the grind.
I know a place where I can fill more than one luxury cabin in my Orca every trip. Last year I complained on the forum this was not possible, over the last few weeks I've been transporting luxury passengers.

There is a catch.

The system where you pick up these missions is Diggidiggi near Colonia. So probably too far away to be of use to you, unless you decide to spend time in the Colonia area.

Top Bottom