Elevator popups and why?

So... it's something that's been irking me since Odyssey launched, and I have to ask.

Why is there a popup to ask if I want to call the elevator AFTER I've already pressed the button to call the elevator? I mean, it serves no purpose I can see, so why is it there?

Also, I wonder at the fancy wheel interfaces when on the ground. Why do we have that? Wouldn't it have been more immersive to have the character pull out a PADD or communicator or something?

It's part of the same UI that gives you the option to join a team mate's ship when in a team. Presumably, it'll also allow other options in future. So it's a placeholder, technically. The argument might be that they could just get rid of it for now if not teamed up. So perhaps they'll do that.

Would say this is pretty low priority though (in my opinion).

Ah, I see... so you can choose WHICH docking bay to go to. Having only one ship, I always have just the one option, but if I was on a team, I might want to go to a teammate's ship and fly copilot.
Ok, that makes some sense. I do hope they dispense with it if you're not teamed, though, or if there's only one possible destination (eg. only one teammate actually has a ship).

Wouldn't it have been more immersive to have the character pull out a PADD or communicator or something?
Those interfaces can be a pain to make as they need to take things like screen dimensions and FoV into account in the animation so the screen isn't pushed through your character's eyes when holding it up. As Elite uses Frontier's own engine, they might not have the animation controls required since they've not been necessary until now so it'd require an engine dev's time. But yeah, it'd be better.

Those interfaces can be a pain to make as they need to take things like screen dimensions and FoV into account in the animation so the screen isn't pushed through your character's eyes when holding it up. As Elite uses Frontier's own engine, they might not have the animation controls required since they've not been necessary until now so it'd require an engine dev's time. But yeah, it'd be better.
I don't see why it would be a problem... we pull out various guns and grenades and tools without a problem. Just bring out the PADD instead, with the same kind of interface as terminals in starports (except with the wheel commands on it).

I don't see why it would be a problem... we pull out various guns and grenades and tools without a problem.
For most weapon animations it doesn't matter what orientation they end up or how close to you they are or how much is visible, you can use static animations. But for a UI it's pretty awful if the text is way too small or part of the screen gets cut-off or it ends up behind your eyes. So games parameterize those animations to get the UI to end up in the right place given your screen and FoV, and might also animate the camera FoV as you bring the item close to your face. It's not super hard to do but it requires a bit more sophistication in the engine's animation system.

Two button to press to enter the elevator is safety by design. Who knows what will happen if someone called the elevator and then decides to not get in?!? It will most likely break the whole BGS.

Also nice to see this concept of safety carried on into the elevator itself, judging by its 600kg limit and the fact, that only one person can enter. Well, either that or space obesity is a major problem in 3307.

I always pictured them adding things to it later. "Go to concourse" "Go to viewing deck" "Go to quarters" etc etc. That would be quite cool.

why are the doors closed on all the elevators? nobody else in the station uses them. It's just another pointless thing to do. I would imagine that stepping into an elevator would be a sure sign that the player wants to use it

Top Bottom