Eliminate * Pirates of the *** Faction -- now I have a bounty?

I have to eliminate 30 pirates. The first 16 went smoothly I got lucky and had 9 attack at once (I'm carrying 400t of cargo) I go to the next mission objective poi start scanning targets I see mission target and open fire, boom I get a bounty.

What gives?

When you scan them, they show clean or wanted. You can only shoot the wanted ones. Any ship that has turned red and is shooting at you will be wanted as long as you have "report crimes against me" switched on.

When you scan them, they show clean or wanted. You can only shoot the wanted ones. Any ship that has turned red and is shooting at you will be wanted as long as you have "report crimes against me" switched on.
Unless you're wanted as well, or it's system authority ships and you have hostile rep.

I have to eliminate 30 pirates. The first 16 went smoothly I got lucky and had 9 attack at once (I'm carrying 400t of cargo) I go to the next mission objective poi start scanning targets I see mission target and open fire, boom I get a bounty.

What gives?
Occasionally, pirates aren't wanted.

These "eliminate 30 pirates+" need to go...
Put a Sensable number for the love of God.

To become a Fighter ace you need 5 kills, Even the Red Baron, Albert Ball, Douglass Blader never shot down 30+ planes in one day.

That's why I never do these missions any more,
(last time I checked it was around 90+ for me)
too much time consuming and the board`em sets in

This Has to change FD!!!

(last time I checked it was around 90+ for me)
Biggest I've seen is 30m for 60 kills these days.

It's been ages since I've seen one for 100-200 kills like it used to be.

Thing is, with careful planning and cross-faction stacking, you can get good money. I've got 40 kills lined up now which will award 46m. With a bit more effort, I could have made that more like 90m for the same amount of kills, but there's a couple self-imposed limitations I've got on that atm (being non-optimal rep, and deliberately not helping some factions).

Last edited:

What gives?

You are making a common mistake, in thinking that pirate are pirates in every ones eyes. To some, they are heroes - and if in the jurisdiction where this is the case, then people may want to kill you for killing their heroes.

The game isn't one big galaxy run by one government, with one idea of good and evil.

They have the 81 kills for higher paying missions. You need to pick the right system to do these in. I like CNBs because they spawn a lot of pirates of the needed faction.

I've never seen a pirate that isn't wanted. Otherwise they aren't pirates, just ships from that faction.

I have accidentally taken "kill deserter" instead, thinking it was a pirate mission, and the ships weren't wanted. These usually spawn for factions that are at war. I got a bounty, but it's not notoriety so I just paid it off at an Interstellar Factors. It's part of the game. That's what they get for desertion.

You are making a common mistake, in thinking that pirate are pirates in every ones eyes. To some, they are heroes - and if in the jurisdiction where this is the case, then people may want to kill you for killing their heroes.

The game isn't one big galaxy run by one government, with one idea of good and evil.
I wish it was that complex. It's not. You can become PNG with that faction if your rep gets to hostile. They will engage you on sight. It has nothing to do with protecting their heroes. The same faction won't engage you if you engage a ship right beside them, if they aren't winged so it's not the cool narrative we pretend.

Occasionally, pirates aren't wanted.

I guess I missed that part. I had two sections of text in red I'd assumed they were wanted.

as long as you have "report crimes against me" switched on.

I've been playing 3 years and have never found this feature, I'm an idiot sometimes and may have over looked it, where is it?

I have accidentally taken "kill deserter" instead,

I was stacking engage and destroy pirates missions, and did infact grab a kill deserter, who infact happens to belong to the same faction, who has "Pirates" in the name.

I'm Expert Combat Rank in a nearly maxed engineered t10 all MCannon stacking Frigaha Purple Pirate missions. And it was a deserter at a nav beacon. Who was not wanted. Interesting how that works.

I had noticed fdev "fixed" the stackable missions allowing you complete them all at the same time, instead of, in the order you picked them up.

Top Bottom