Elite and mechwarrior

I think frontier should look at a possible "mech" type scenario though i think it would be awesome to drop to a planet deploy mechs have a battle and be able to synthesize them like fighters, could also make them for ground exploration

maybe but I feel like we're not a society presenting as robotic in Elite Dangerous, I do not know if this mixture would please me, it's a little weird to get out of a SVR in combination and to cross a mechs, where is he from ?

on the other hand, guardian-type extraterrestrials but exclusively on land, without space or flying technology, that would develop autonomous mechs that walk rather than float, it would be good, I think.

it would still be a game in a game, Frontier will have to partner with other game designers to achieve such a result.. there is also the possibility of deploying a submarine that will explore aquatic planets, but without partnerships with other video game designers .. this business is almost impossible before 30 years old lol.

Last edited:
Holy hell that would be awesome. I wouldn't want to see elite lore overwritten by Battletech's which is awesome), so maybe frontier could just make us an open-world battletech game using all the existing stuff. Get on it devs!

+1 for mechs in ED!

And hover tanks!

Hovertanks could basically just be reworked SRVs. It moves, it has a turret on top. Just replace the wheels with the repulsors we already now see on the drones all around.

Technically, even mechs could be done on that basis. But you would need a "crawl mode". An SRV (or a SRV-like hovertank) can fit below a landed spaceship. A humanoid mech of similar scale would not.

Hovertanks could basically just be reworked SRVs Skimmers

We already basically have hovertanks in the game, it's just that we can't use them. I just wish that we could include them in our SRV bays. Heck, I'd be happy enough if we could operate a goliath out of one of our fighter bays.

We already basically have hovertanks in the game, it's just that we can't use them. I just wish that we could include them in our SRV bays. Heck, I'd be happy enough if we could operate a goliath out of one of our fighter bays.

Same thing, described from a different point of view. What i wrote was like "take the SRV, replace the wheels wheels with the skimmer propulsion". What you wrote basically is "take the skimmers, put the SRV turret on top".

So i guess we both agree that we'd like something like that. :)

Add me to that fantasy!

I would absolutly love to fly a dropship (yes the Federal Dropship) that would be accomodating mechs instead of SRV inside it's beautyful industrial bulk.

Deleted member 38366

D
Hehe, imagine this :

You fly your Anaconda Mk. II over the LZ of a hot and disputed Surface. Civil War. Ugly as usual.
At 400m Altitude, you hit "deploy" on the heavy load you've been carrying : the Mech in your Class 7 Bay.

115tons of fun are now getting released and dropped, its thrusters fire at 150m and 10 seconds later you hit the ground of 0.6g.
Your NPC takes defensive position in the Mk.II Conda and deploys hardpoints.

Reactor - Online. Sensors - Online. Weapons - Online. All Systems nominal.

You recheck Heat, Sensor array and Weapons. The Conflict Zone is behind the Crater wall, Range 1200m, bearing 240. Battle for System domination awaits!

Yeah, that could easily work :)

FD had a graduate class assignment once where basically a mech suit with legs, tracks for feet and Doc-Oc robotic arms was rigged up and animated. It was framed as based in Elite Dangerous.

So . . . it could be a thing, but I not holding my breath.

FTL travel is less trivial in Battletech universe. The latest video game gives you a fairly good idea, though the Kearny-Fuchida drive charging seems to be speeded up considerably.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKtRfmhBxuk

That’s because in the latest game, you don’t own your own jumpship, but are instead buying passage aboard merchant vessels. It’s very likely that the ship is already charged and ready to jump, but was waiting for you to arrive, because empty dock collars don’t make them money.

The unbelievable part isn’t the short charging time. It’s how easy it is to find a jumpship going in the same direction you want to go. ;)

That’s because in the latest game, you don’t own your own jumpship, but are instead buying passage aboard merchant vessels. It’s very likely that the ship is already charged and ready to jump, but was waiting for you to arrive, because empty dock collars don’t make them money.

The unbelievable part isn’t the short charging time. It’s how easy it is to find a jumpship going in the same direction you want to go. ;)
That's what I thought at first but see what happens when your destination is multiple jumps away. I guess they edited out the ship switching. I don't actually mind some inaccuracies for the sake of gameplay, but the nerd in me must say "axchully" to set things right.

Of course the easy availability of jumpship transport is an inaccuracy as well, especially in Periphery.

Last edited:
Never really liked MWO. Felt a bit clunky, control wise, and the maps were too small. MWLL was better, as was MW4, IMO...with MW2 netmech a runner up.

Anyway, I'd definitely like to see ground combat fleshed out better, and integrated well with ship combat.

Elite and MW have been two of the most constant games I've enjoyed, from the C64/Amiga onwards. Elite seems to have filled the gap after MW4 tailed off.

I'm not sure the lore would mesh together that well (especially with gameplay and travel between star systems), but there is some compatibility between the cockpit based gameplay and the idea of Elite spaceships delivering Mechwarriors (and supplying resources) to a battleground and base is very appealing.

I was very active in MW3 and MW4. MechWarrior Online has been a massive disappointment - the controls are too clunky and MW should allow joystick control (as is shown in ED).

A lot of the UK based MW clan I was in (United Kingdom Mercenaries - UKM) played JumpGate, and I'm aware a couple of us still play ED. There is a big crossover in the 'feel' of both games.

Hey imagine this but first a lil background if fleet carriers are squadron made but player owned mines going to be known as the Uss Matthew Nicholas named in honor of my dead twin brother who I barely knew what if the fleet carriers could have dedicated catapults for mechs maybe as an optional Capital class optional heck maybe have reflex satellite limpets which when deployed would work with the main gun on your bow by reflecting the shot across a best case route. by that I mean if a thargoid scouts is on the other side of a planet just deploy a set of numbered satellites that when deployment your covas will report on what satellites are open and ready. your covas will telll you something like Satellite 56, adjustment complete or something like that and when you hear Charging complete (this can be monitored on the info panel: and can be applied to any capital class weapon that doesn’t come online instantly another thing is make crew compulsory with this and maybe once we hit the auto launch button the crew come aboard monitored on info panel and then you take off

Top Bottom