Elite Badge

Do you want a new Elite Badge

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Frankly, achieving "Elite" rank in the 80's era games was a considerably more difficult prospect than is presented in ED... they earned it.

ED is like Muppet Babies in comparison.
Indeed; but that was then and this is now - with the thread about a new Elite badge. It would be a meaningless symbol some people would latch onto to feed their ego's - and considering the gaming community of today, versus the one of yesteryear .. I can hazard a guess that there'd be a sudden outpouring of elitism.

Personally I would just want one when I reach elite because I have worked hard for it and I like to adorn my cap with lots of pretty badges. You want to call it Elitism when and if they do produce a new one for pilots who achieve elite in ED go ahead. To me its just a game and I know I will never be able to defeat another reasonably fair player at combat even if I have killed enough NPC's to have got there with combat whether I am elite or mostly harmless. Doesn't make me better than even the new player with his/her shiny sidey. In fact if he/she is even a tenth of my present ability I would probably lose but I care not. The badge isn't an Elitist thing to me it is just a shiny pin so I can pat myself on the back and say well done to me for the work and play that has gone into it.

You see OamodSias not everyone feels Elitist because they got a small shiny pin for reaching a standard. For me its just a milestone that makes me feel good for my self, and I seriously doubt the NPC's I killed will consider me any different when I reach that stage.

You mustn't think that because you feel a certain way about something that all other people in the world feel exactly as you do.

Personally I would just want one when I reach elite because I have worked hard for it and I like to adorn my cap with lots of pretty badges. You want to call it Elitism when and if they do produce a new one for pilots who achieve elite in ED go ahead. To me its just a game and I know I will never be able to defeat another reasonably fair player at combat even if I have killed enough NPC's to have got there with combat whether I am elite or mostly harmless. Doesn't make me better than even the new player with his/her shiny sidey. In fact if he/she is even a tenth of my present ability I would probably lose but I care not. The badge isn't an Elitist thing to me it is just a shiny pin so I can pat myself on the back and say well done to me for the work and play that has gone into it.

You see OamodSias not everyone feels Elitist because they got a small shiny pin for reaching a standard. For me its just a milestone that makes me feel good for my self, and I seriously doubt the NPC's I killed will consider me any different when I reach that stage.

You mustn't think that because you feel a certain way about something that all other people in the world feel exactly as you do.

1. I said people tend to drift towards elitism when they are given things other people are not (a badge for achieving a rank, lots of money, power etc); operative words here are "tend to."
  2. That's you, that's not everyone else. Elitism happens, see point 1 - this isn't some random conjecture; it's fact. If a badge won't give you a sense of superiority, that's great, but for other people that's most certainly not the case. Hell, I've seen Elitism in World of Warcraft because players were getting legendary items. I mean really, it's a silly in-game item that's ultimately quite useless but people paraded it around, believing themselves to be superior. Case in point, Elitism can happen over the smallest of things. Or how about people who enjoy number crunching and end up pushing the most DPS which in itself creates a bubble of elitism with those players thinking themselves superior. This isn't an imaginary bubble either, I'd say almost every WoW player that followed the official forums or the MMO-Champ WoW forums, could attest to it.
  3. I didn't say everyone did feel elitist. See point 1.
  4. I was expressing my opinion that a free badge would be a bad idea, and I am entitled to voice that opinion - that doesn't automatically mean I am assuming everyone feels about things the way I do. That's quite an assumption that misses the mark quite badly. I was speaking about the concept of elitism from a psychological stand point; on how objects like a badge, or a unique item in a game, or lots of money can lead people down the path towards to elitism.

Edit: If you feel that I've personally attacked you, then I apologise as that was not my intent.

Last edited:
My wife got me an Elite T shirt from the store last christmas. I have promised myself i will not wear it until i reach Elite in combat. I have been playing for 10 months now and i am 52 % dangerous, so i have someway to go. Reaching elite in E,D is far harder and more time consuming than in the original game.

Here's my badge. I know that it was one of the first. There was a competition when it launched. I think there were a few £100 prizes for the best first Elite players, which I was trying for. I sent mine off as soon as I was Elite, but the winners had taken it a stage further to become Elite millionaires. I became a millionaire a few days later, and when I saw the results published, I remember wishing that I had waited a bit before sending it off. I got the certificate and the badge anyway. Something at the back of my mind says that there were 100 badges awarded from the original launch. It's all black.
elite badge.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome :D

How are you finding the new game?

In the original, it took me 4 weeks to be come Elite. I became Elite in this version in the same time, so that bit is similar. Now,after 10 weeks, I have the nearly 2 billion and loads of things I'm working on. The main difference between the two is that there wasn't much to do in the original after becoming Elite, but there's loads to do in this one. The open play brings up so many more possibilities. What I do there is my little secret. I use another account for that so that I can be incognito.

Last edited:
Be VERY happy to pay a contribution towards an Elite badge once Elite rank has been achieved. Perhaps have different designs showing what you achieved Elite in (Trading, Combat, Exploration and that other thing that 4 people play in...Er COC is'nt it ;) )

I did a little cast silver work when I was a child. School projects. I could see doing a 3d print in wax and casting a replica if someone wanted it bad enough. Cost of a decent silver alloy, oxy/cet and renting a slinger would be no more than $100.00 total. Less than half that if your'e already a member of a crafting group.

Hi d8veh & Nicnox

I saw a post by d8veh in another thread and noticed his badge, I thought I would dig up this old thread and point him to it. When I got here I found he had already discovered it along with Nicnox.

Now there are 15 CMDRs with original badges...

26482299291_432da265a5_b.jpg

Last edited:
Huw - that's a Welsh spelling.

Really what is with the Welsh and Elite?
It's becoming like the national sport.

Frontier definitely need to make a Welsh dragon cobra skin and decals.

On topic. -
You can just buy the new ones, so I have, but I wouldn't wear it until I've earned it.
Might even give it away for a prize.

Last edited:
Top Bottom