Release Elite Cougar MFD Cockpit Display - game changing new companion app

Version v1.310 Released
I'm please to announce a major set of fixes for Cougar Display.
  • EDDB downloads - optimised for speed and improved robustness (8 seconds for 4 million records)
  • License file - fixed issue with decryption algorithm
  • Journal reading - fixed issues with cached loadout.json, improved performance
  • Mission Explorer - fixed current ship display - pad size/ fuel/cargo
  • Signal Sources/Station Services - now uses font size from Noticeboard attribute (Exploration layout) in the XML file
  • AutoUpdate improvements
  • Improved start-up logging
Many thanks to those who helped me create this update. Some of those bugs were very hard to diagnose and I couldn't have done it without your assistance and feedback.

Version v1.400 Released
I'm please to announce a major set of fixes for Cougar Display and some new features too.
  • The maximum number of displays has been increased from 2 to 4 with a user interface to select. The extra displays can be used to display the GalaxyMap and/or orrery.
  • Windows master sound volume (speech synthesis tab)
  • Improvements to the Solar system demo mode
  • The number of joysticks detected has been increased from 6 to 10
  • Significant number of bugs fixed which could cause random issues (galaxy map crashes, key presses not going to Elite)
  • Fixes to the journal decoding (cargo event)
  • Fixes to allow journal decoding across the midnight boundary
  • Fixes to the icons responding to the mouse clicks/touch
  • Layout Editor fixes and better documentation to explain how the settings affect the display

Hello this look EXTRA... but i've tried everything ( except registry modifications) and still have "journal file is missing" ... My client is in french could it be the problem (don't think so). My Controls react in your interface, the lights pop up when i activate a module, everything looks fine except "journal file" any clue?

I have been having the same problem since the last update. I found that pausing and resuming Cougar MFD app clears it up for me.

Last edited:
Hello this look EXTRA... but i've tried everything ( except registry modifications) and still have "journal file is missing" ... My client is in french could it be the problem (don't think so). My Controls react in your interface, the lights pop up when i activate a module, everything looks fine except "journal file" any clue?
Is the journal file in the default folder or redirected else where?
The code is designed to go and look for the latest journal, I think it has a two minute detection window - so if it hasn't detected any events then it resets the counter and performs a directory scan and looks for the latest file based on today's date.

Thanks for that fast reply :) One log file at the expected position, two shortcuts and a chrome cookie named 'journal' is it the chrome that fails it all?
journal.JPG

Many thanks.
...Journal file missing... i'm sad... :'( still investigating.

Last edited:
Thanks for that fast reply :) One log file at the expected position, two shortcuts and a chrome cookie named 'journal' is it the chrome that fails it all?View attachment 194484
Many thanks.
...Journal file missing... i'm sad... :'( still investigating.
Thanks for the post. I've been looking at the code and the "journal file is missing" means that the code to scan the Elite Journal folder has failed to find a file matching the words 'journal' + today's date and time + '.log'
To prove this, the app would not be reacting to in-game events, such as NPC speech, Selecting a new target (eg NPC ship), FSD jump to new system.
Every two minutes it rescans the folder until it successfully finds a journal file to decode.

Looking at your image, it seems you have a valid file to decode, so I don't know why it is not decoding it. I need to find out if the code is even looking at the right folder, and then if it can find the files. Can I PM you and give you a debug build of the EXE to find out what the issue is?

Thanks for the post. I've been looking at the code and the "journal file is missing" means that the code to scan the Elite Journal folder has failed to find a file matching the words 'journal' + today's date and time + '.log'
To prove this, the app would not be reacting to in-game events, such as NPC speech, Selecting a new target (eg NPC ship), FSD jump to new system.
Every two minutes it rescans the folder until it successfully finds a journal file to decode.

Looking at your image, it seems you have a valid file to decode, so I don't know why it is not decoding it. I need to find out if the code is even looking at the right folder, and then if it can find the files. Can I PM you and give you a debug build of the EXE to find out what the issue is?
Yes you can!

In addition to the journal file missing problem which I mentioned above (and my way around it), the ship COVAS still announces that I have no limpets yet MFD 2 shows that I have 80 cargo. All limpets in this case.

In addition to the journal file missing problem which I mentioned above (and my way around it), the ship COVAS still announces that I have no limpets yet MFD 2 shows that I have 80 cargo. All limpets in this case.
Can you post me your journal file for that session. I'll have a look at fixing that if I can spot a reason.

Version v1.410 Released
A minor set of fixes for Cougar Display
  • Fixes to the journal cargo event (limpet counter)
  • Added debugging switches to the MFDCougar.ini to aid with debugging
  • AutoUpdater updated ready for next major release

Version v1.500 Released
I'm pleased to announce the early release of the December update for Cougar Display.
A major new feature - the shipyard - has been created as a new layout role which is activated when your ship is docked at a station.
  • Two simultaneous and independent displays
  • Blueprint schematic of your current ship
  • Module loadout information
  • Engineering detail on each selected module
  • Customisable in the layout editor
  • Documentation updated
shipyard.png

Last edited:
Version 1.511 Released.
Minor update to replace the ASP graphic and create a better shield shader that handles wide screen aspect ratios better.

Top Bottom