News Elite Dangerous - 2.2 Beta is live

So, I have Horizons...how do I access the Beta 2.2?

You don't.

Beta is locked to people who buy Beta access or backed the game via KS and such.

This way less people just wanting to play the latest stuff and contribute      all to the feedback process clutter the place.... in theory.

You don't.

Beta is locked to people who buy Beta access or backed the game via KS and such.

This way less people just wanting to play the latest stuff and contribute      all to the feedback process clutter the place.... in theory.

ok ok...I will buy into it. do i have to keep buying into beta every time it comes out?

Ok, I just purchased it. I am a steam user but the file is taking me to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Frontier\EDLaunch" is this the correct path for beta or should I point it to steam apps?

Don't know why you're buying it this late in the Beta. From what I've heard it's supposed to end this week and go live on the main game.

I could be wrong though. That's just last I heard though.

To answer your question though, check your game launcher. Next to the play button there's a list of versions of the game. Scroll down that list. Should be an option similar to 'Elite Dangerous: Horizons - Guardians 2.2 (Beta)'. Just install that. Do be warned that the installation process will be slow (At least it was each time I tried to install the beta).

Last edited:
Don't know why you're buying it this late in the Beta. From what I've heard it's supposed to end this week and go live on the main game.

I could be wrong though. That's just last I heard though.......

We should have (at least) 2 more betas for this season (3 and 4) so even buying in to the beta now with (hopefully) a week or less before 2.2 goes live you are set for the future.

Even if you do not participate in the whole beta process, it is always nice to be able to try out that new setup without risk and the weekend blowout is awesome.

Last edited:
We should have (at least) 2 more betas for this season (3 and 4) so even buying in to the beta now with (hopefully) a week or less before 2.2 goes live you are set for the future.

Even if you do not participate in the whole beta process, it is always nice to be able to try out that new setup without risk and the weekend blowout is awesome.

Oh yeah. Disregard then.

And please always point out the fact that, during the beta acces, no matter what advancement you make in the beta, you lose it all when it ends and the update releases. Only your progression in the "non beta" main version does count.

There are many people who think the beta allows you to "progress before" everyone and unlock stuff you'll keep for the release : nop.

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
Ok, I just purchased it. I am a steam user but the file is taking me to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Frontier\EDLaunch" is this the correct path for beta or should I point it to steam apps?

You need to download the beta - its a separate build of the game and has its own set of folders. It should appear in the list of game versions at the bottom of the launcher.

Also (not being a Steam user myself) I am pretty sure that you can't run the beta via steam as it isn't a steam purchase.

I could be wrong though. That's just last I heard though.

Been a month today since 2.2 beta release. Anyone have any indication on live release?

Sadly i think it'll be next week, since there'll be some kind of event in the beta this weekend, and to be honest that makes me sad. Sader, Saderder, MostSader, SuperGreen Sad!

Last edited:
I am a little confused. BETAs for this game have always been 3/4 weeks long. This one is on going and there hasn't been an official release date for 2.2/1.7. I have looked everywhere I could find and even here there is no official release date mentioned.... Besides we SHOULD be in patch 2.5 right now or something like that (if you look at Horizon's advertisement page on this official website that we are on it it says that we would be in the first to last expansion this month they have not updated it. But clearly we are only in the third with 3 left (or was that 2 or 4?)). That delay for 4 months or whatever it was hit this "series" of expansions Hard.... I was hoping for the next list of expansions by now to be at least announced.

Sadly i think it'll be next week, since there'll be some kind of event in the beta this weekend, and to be honest that makes me sad. Sader, Saderder, MostSader, SuperGreen Sad!

If that is the case, it is disappointing because my R&R ends this week and I start work up next week. Was hoping to get some time in 2.2 before starting work. And yes, I could play the beta, but the amount of progress I made in the live game kind of made me not want to mess with the beta more than I have.

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
FD are responding to player criticism about buggy releases and are having a longer Beta period to address that.

Hope that reduces your confusion.

FD are responding to player criticism about buggy releases and are having a longer Beta period to address that.

Hope that reduces your confusion.
all good to complete your expansions before release. I like that. However their time table is all screwed up because of the extreme delay for 2.1 (I don't know why they delayed it, probably had something to do with money but I don't know).

Release of 2.2 was supposed to be Mid-October...It is getting closer to the end of October and still nothing...I think FD should commit to release dates and stick to them. I really don't like the delays...

Last edited:
Release of 2.2 was supposed to be Mid-October...It is getting closer to the end of October and still nothing...I think FD should commit to release dates and stick to them. I really don't like the delays...

Doesn't really increase confidence in release dates for 2.3 and 2.4 does it?
It'll happen when it happens I guess.

Top Bottom