News Elite Dangerous - 2.4 and beyond

Zac Antonaci

Head of Communications
Frontier
Greetings Commanders,

It’s a very exciting time to be part of the Elite Dangerous galaxy. On June 27 we will welcome even more Commanders to the galaxy with the PlayStation 4 launch. These new players will join the ranks of our already incredibly active, passionate and dedicated community.

Since the launch of Elite Dangerous: The Commanders a number of weeks ago, we’ve received messages from members of the community eagerly awaiting details about the 2.4 update and the future of the game. I’m pleased to be able to share with you a little more detail on what’s to come in the short term and slightly longer term with Elite Dangerous.

The first thing I’d like to share with you is that we will be adding another point update on June 27, this will be for all platforms and will include a number of bug fixes, and stability and networking improvements. This includes the much-requested Anaconda cockpit appearance change and will also introduce greater security for multicrew hosts to be able to disable or limit crew members’ specific activity.

One large element of this point update is a number of “under the hood” fixes which are designed to improve stability and performance, particularly on planet surfaces. This means that we will be looking to run a beta for 2.3.10. However, we do understand that with this being a point update with a number of less visible improvements, it won’t have as many new features to play test. Nonetheless, this testing is very important to make sure the game works as we would expect. Due to the wider and more global nature of this small point update, we will be making the beta open for all and we would welcome your support in joining and spending a few hours playing and helping to ensure the update is as good and stable as it can be.

We’ll have more details on the beta, and exactly how it will work shortly.

2.4 – “????”

Back at EGX in 2015 we showcased the headline features that would be coming to Horizons. However, there’s always been an extra little update, a mystery if you will, that has yet to be revealed.

We’ll be providing a little more information about the update to the community and the press during E3 on June 12th and 13th. We’ll be hosting special community livestreams and activity so stay tuned for more news and updates as we get closer to the date.

I can, however, tell you that this update will be slightly different to previous ones - content will be revealed over time rather than all being available on day one. Additional pieces of exciting content will surface over the coming months as the narrative progresses.

Beyond

So with the Horizon season of expansions coming to a close, what is beyond 2.4 I hear you ask? Well, it certainly isn’t the end of this amazing journey… we’re only just getting started!

Our awesome dev team are dedicated to continuing to build and improve the Elite Dangerous experience with an exciting long term vision in mind. We’re happy to be able to confirm that the next major updates following 2.4 will focus on core gameplay, existing features, quality of life and other improvements! We’re delighted to be investing a considerable amount of development and effort into making the core gameplay experience even better for our fantastic community or players.

We’ll be sharing more news on that content and our roadmap at a very special event coming later in the year - more details on this event will be released in the weeks after E3.

On behalf of the entire Elite Dangerous team, thank you for your continued support. We are very excited to embark on the next part of the journey together as we continue to make Elite Dangerous an even more fantastic game and experience for our incredible community of players.

Nice communication there Zac, thank you.

...the next major updates following 2.4 will focus on core gameplay, existing features, quality of life and other improvements!

n0gny.jpg

Our awesome dev team are dedicated to continuing to build and improve the Elite Dangerous experience with an exciting long term vision in mind. We’re happy to be able to confirm that the next major updates following 2.4 will focus on core gameplay, existing features, quality of life and other improvements! We’re delighted to be investing a considerable amount of development and effort into making the core gameplay experience even better for our fantastic community or players.

Yes! You've just made my day Zac! Much love your way into the FD offices! [heart][heart][heart][heart][heart]

As always thank you to all the team at Frontier that make ED happen. Looking forward to hearing what is in store!

SO, Frekkin, AWESOME.
About time frontier!

Don't get TOO excited... ;) You missed an important part of that message.... let me re-quote... so, after 2.4 that will happen. :)

"We’re happy to be able to confirm that the next major updates following 2.4 will focus on core gameplay, existing features, quality of life and other improvements! "

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Thanks for this, its very much appreciated. More like this going forward please. Great news about Open Beta for the existing players. We'd like some PS4 news and technical details (From Gary, similar to this) if possible.

Still very good. Do this more! Positive communication that is worthwhile.

Last edited:
Greetings Commanders,

It’s a very exciting time to be part of the Elite Dangerous galaxy. On June 27 we will welcome even more Commanders to the galaxy with the PlayStation 4 launch. These new players will join the ranks of our already incredibly active, passionate and dedicated community.

Since the launch of Elite Dangerous: The Commanders a number of weeks ago, we’ve received messages from members of the community eagerly awaiting details about the 2.4 update and the future of the game. I’m pleased to be able to share with you a little more detail on what’s to come in the short term and slightly longer term with Elite Dangerous.

The first thing I’d like to share with you is that we will be adding another point update on June 27, this will be for all platforms and will include a number of bug fixes, and stability and networking improvements. This includes the much-requested Anaconda cockpit appearance change and will also introduce greater security for multicrew hosts to be able to disable or limit crew members’ specific activity.

One large element of this point update is a number of “under the hood” fixes which are designed to improve stability and performance, particularly on planet surfaces. This means that we will be looking to run a beta for 2.3.10. However, we do understand that with this being a point update with a number of less visible improvements, it won’t have as many new features to play test. Nonetheless, this testing is very important to make sure the game works as we would expect. Due to the wider and more global nature of this small point update, we will be making the beta open for all and we would welcome your support in joining and spending a few hours playing and helping to ensure the update is as good and stable as it can be.

We’ll have more details on the beta, and exactly how it will work shortly.

2.4 – “????”

Back at EGX in 2015 we showcased the headline features that would be coming to Horizons. However, there’s always been an extra little update, a mystery if you will, that has yet to be revealed.

We’ll be providing a little more information about the update to the community and the press during E3 on June 13th and 14th. We’ll be hosting special community livestreams and activity so stay tuned for more news and updates as we get closer to the date.

I can, however, tell you that this update will be slightly different to previous ones - content will be revealed over time rather than all being available on day one. Additional pieces of exciting content will surface over the coming months as the narrative progresses.

Beyond

So with the Horizon season of expansions coming to a close, what is beyond 2.4 I hear you ask? Well, it certainly isn’t the end of this amazing journey… we’re only just getting started!

We’ll be sharing more news on that content and our roadmap at a very special event coming later in the year - more details on this event will be released in the weeks after E3.

On behalf of the entire Elite Dangerous team, thank you for your continued support. We are very excited to embark on the next part of the journey together as we continue to make Elite Dangerous an even more fantastic game and experience for our incredible community of players.

Can I just say: thanks a lot. This is exactly the kind of (slightly buttoned-up but still) generous kind of communication that this community needs. Even though there are no ETAs and no Guarantees (well, actually, many more "promises" than usual!) still it shows a lot of good will on your part, and I am sure everyone will react extremely positively to this.

Top Bottom