News Elite Dangerous - 2.4 and beyond

I think the "next" is key. A lot of players (both here, and on Reddit) have been crying out for long-standing bugs to be fixed, and many core features to be fleshed out. I guess that's what we're likely to see, in (whatever version numbers come immediately after 2.4).

So "Core Gameplay" doesn't mean what makes up the game right now? I guess i don't know what that term means.

Would these be considered "core gameplay":
-Planetary Atmospheres
-Walking around on ship and on planet surface
-Some Story Campaign?

"We’re happy to be able to confirm that the next major updates following 2.4 will focus on core gameplay, existing features, quality of life and other improvements! We’re delighted to be investing a considerable amount of development and effort into making the core gameplay experience even better for our fantastic community or players."

Not sure i understand what this means....it sounds like after 2.4 nothing new will be added. Just focusing on fixing/improving what is there already.

Am i reading this wrong? Does "Core Gameplay" mean something new?

No - you are correct in that Zac's post doesn't introduce any new cool features post-2.4. However, long-term players have been crying out for core gameplay mechanics to get the once over at some point, as several haven't been touched since release. So even though the post could be read as an announcement of an announcement, rather than an announcement of new features, it's still welcome news.

That said I'm keeping the torch and pitchfork handy in case no form of atmospheric landings appear in the next two years. ;)

This is the best thread I've read this year and to me at least shows you've been listening to the community nice one fd.

Unless I do a worzel gummage and put my negative head on and see no headline features as ED is finished and we are just going to polish it kind of thing ...nope the reply to Andy from zach has me flushing that negative head down the toilet this is good news.

So "Core Gameplay" doesn't mean what makes up the game right now? I guess i don't know what that term means.

-Planetary Atmospheres
-Some Story Campaign?

Core Gameplay indeed means the existing activities such as trading, mining, bounty hunting, exploration missions, planetary landings and so forth.

Many of which could do with some attention and improvement in my opinion.

There's likely to be new content, but that content will most likely be directly related to the existing core activities above.

That's my interpretation - and I really really​ read your post this time just to be sure I got the answer right :)

Last edited:
Core Gameplay indeed means the existing activities such as trading, mining, bounty hunting, exploration missions, planetary landings and so forth.

Many of which could do with some attention and improvement in my opinion.

There's likely to be new content, but that content will most likely be directly related to the existing core activities above.

Got it. Thanks. So unless something crazy happens AFTER the core updates...we wont see the stuff i was talking about until AFTER the "2.4 and beyond" is complete.

We’re happy to be able to confirm that the next major updates following 2.4 will focus on core gameplay, existing features, quality of life and other improvements!

That's the best news I've heard in two years lol. Reinforce the foundation, and whatever stands on it will be better.

Cheers FDev.

Thank you very much. I was expecting to hear some news at E3, but now that it is confirmed, i am pretty excited.

Looking forward, to join the fight in 2.3.1 beta as well :)

Thumbs up and keep on rocking o7

-Planetary Atmospheres
-Some Story Campaign?

I doubt it, I'd interpret it as improvements on existing game elements. Missions, AI, crime system improvements, RES / CZ changes etc., maybe trade tools. Maybe some Powerplay love - I don't know if that would be considered 'core'.

All the things you listed - which I personally would be gaggin' for - would be more future features, and likely to come a bit further down the line, not immediately after 2.4.

Top Bottom