Newcomer / Intro Elite: Dangerous – a comprehensive beginner’s guide [Beyond 3.3 edition]

Howdy virtual space folk!

In addition to the web version of my super-duper in-depth Elite: Dangerous beginners guide, there's now a PDF version also available for download from

Onedrive & Google Drive

Many thanks to CMDR Aurelius Borealis for creating the PDF version and Hondahoorz for hosting.

Also, the awesome Commander Chanurr has translated my entire Elite: Dangerous beginner’s guide into Spanish. So, if you’re a Spanish speaker, then be sure to download the PDF.

o7

Last edited: 26 Sept 2020

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdy virtual space folk!

It has taken several weeks of writing and playing (I was away for the whole of December), but I've finally finished revising my comprehensive beginners guide to Elite: Dangerous to reflect all the stuff introduced in Beyond 3.3. Weeeeeeellllllllllllllllll, mostly...

Anyway, the sections on mining and exploration have been extensively reworked and expanded, and I've also added some new sections on Squadrons and The Codex. Not to mention revising other bits and bobs affected by the changes in Beyond 3.3.

While I was at it, I decided to go through the whole document to update many of the screenshots and improve readability. This includes things like:
  • ironing out numerous typos — and no doubt introducing some new ones along the way
  • restructuring some sections
  • breaking down lengthy sentences into shorter ones
  • making paragraphs shorter
  • and utilising bullet points more (just like I am now!!!)

Updating the guide has been both hard work and a lot of fun — the blooming thing now weighs in at a rather unwieldy 35,000 words plus dozens and dozens of images.

I hope people find it useful, and I'll try to keep updating when necessary or whenever I can be bothered!

Also, I finally became an Elite explorer while doing "research" for the new exploration mechanics — just combat left to go now! :D

o7

Oh yes - I had found that already!

Great work, thank you for the heads up and for the update! I have it bookmarked...

[up] [up] [up] :)

You are to be congratulated on a tremendous piece of work. Thank you.
I've been playing this game for a year and there are several useful bits and pieces that I knew nothing about.

I haven't had a chance to read it all yet but I haven't found any reference to the new 'structures' that were recently introduced.
e.g. the traveller ships and the stations that can be defended from attack or attacked.

You cannot give Reputation to the same post twice.

Dammit! It deserves two dozens or so!

Edit:
(Just quickly browsing through it, chapter 9 has "111ashipyard" in there. That could still be beautified. :D )

Last edited:
As someone who generally hates those guides that tell you what to do, I give this one mega THUMBS UP.
It just helps you learn how to do things.

You are to be congratulated on a tremendous piece of work. Thank you.
I've been playing this game for a year and there are several useful bits and pieces that I knew nothing about.

I haven't had a chance to read it all yet but I haven't found any reference to the new 'structures' that were recently introduced.
e.g. the traveller ships and the stations that can be defended from attack or attacked.
Thanks. I don't have a specific section on that, but do very briefly touch upon that in my short section on scenarios. But maybe I can expand on that when I get a chance.

Basically, you turn up at megaship or installation, and if you hang around long enough a mini-battle starts and you get asked to choose a side (attack or defend). I've only done a few, but the battles don't last very long and, to be honest, are not really that interesting! The rewards also seem to be largely based around influencing the BGS of that system/faction.

Last edited:
Tremendous job thank you for all your hard work! This will be invaluable to new players and even veterans as a quick reminder. One quick question, any chance of a PDF version? ;)

Fantastic! Comprehensive but incredibly slim and effective to go the point of things.. while at the same time never sounding dry, sterile or boring. Very pleasing read and perfect for filling any doubt that comes during gameplay (those little details you don't know among other more important things you are already aware of!)

Excellent work - clear, well-organised and thorough. It's well-written too - easy to follow without being intimidating.

If I may offer some light criticism, I'd take issue with the claim in chapter 17 that it's very difficult for a single CMDR to influence the BGS. It's actually very easy for a single CMDR to influence the BGS; they just need to know what they're doing in each particular circumstance according to their goals. I mean, sure, good luck flipping Sol, but most systems don't see anything like that level of random traffic.

Last edited:
Excellent! rep+

little remark: imo, it's better to resolve the possible mix between "planetary ports" and "planetary settlements". Normally you are not supposed to "dock" at a planetary settlements (there are no docking facilities there).

Last edited:
Top Bottom