News Elite Dangerous: Arena Removal From Sale

Nooo, my hopes of having it disappear from the main game are dashed! :(

I know I'm going against the grain, but those that have no interest in CQC like myself would like to be able to turn off the jarring red rank in the right panel, thanks. Maybe an option added to the function panel? :)

I have no interest in Combat. Can I turn off annoying orange rank in the right panel? :p

Last edited:
But what if in the moment you get released into a CQC session you already would be under attack (or short before)? Artificial CL then? :p
You could of course restrict this function to a docking state but would this be so much different than to the current situation?

Message sends when you're ready to be cued, you get 15 seconds to respond or it times out and starts again. So if you're ready you go and if you're busy you wait for the next opportunity

- - - Updated - - -

Any chance that we'll ever be able to queue for CQC from the main game? This seems fundamentally similar to the new multicrew lobby.

The major reason I don't play more CQC is that waiting in the CQC lobby for a game is as dull as a staring at a box of nails. If I could queue from my ship while playing the main game, I'd be queued for CQC all the time.

I totally would too!

Any chance that we'll ever be able to queue for CQC from the main game? This seems fundamentally similar to the new multicrew lobby.

The major reason I don't play more CQC is that waiting in the CQC lobby for a game is as dull as a staring at a box of nails. If I could queue from my ship while playing the main game, I'd be queued for CQC all the time.

Adding this ingame is a breeze due to Instancing. If you fly outside the zone you get the same "warning" but instead of blowing up you simply leave the instance. Any new Ships entering park at the new style huge docks and fly out to join in a Fighter of their choice. If other Ships attack then the dock blows them away! If the instances are not filled up by Players then the NPC make up for them. As soon as a player takes last slot the remaining NPC gets destroyed to make way.
WE WISH!!!

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Just a quick note about Arena below:

'Elite Dangerous: Arena will be removed from sale on Steam, Frontier store, and on the Xbox store. This change is planned for later today.

We’ve been looking at our metrics which suggest that the vast majority of new and regular Arena players tend to play Arena through the main Elite Dangerous client rather than the standalone Arena one. We’ve made the decision to remove the standalone version of Elite Dangerous: Arena in order to reduce the number of builds that have to be maintained and managed across Steam, Xbox One and in 2Q'17 PlayStation Network, as well as clarifying the choices for new players of Elite Dangerous on these storefronts.

Elite Dangerous: Arena continues to be available and supported as part of the wider Elite Dangerous game. Existing and new players that join the Elite Dangerous galaxy will continue to be able to enjoy the fast-paced action of Arena through the main menu. Existing Elite Dangerous: Arena client owners will still be able to enjoy Arena as they have always done.

Not much change but we just wanted to give you a quick heads up, to avoid any confusion.'

Thanks
FD still have a chance to make CQC great again. They just have to rethink the main concept. They have to move CQC INTO the game. Not menu or whatever else. CQC will work only in game.

Nooo, my hopes of having it disappear from the main game are dashed! :(

I know I'm going against the grain, but those that have no interest in CQC like myself would like to be able to turn off the jarring red rank in the right panel, thanks. Maybe an option added to the function panel? :)

I and others have asked this or rather suggested this many times.

As for CQC or Arena or whatever is the right way of saying it, never played it probably never will. But you know they keep on trying to make it seem like people are playing it with the live streams...surely that time could be spent doing it on something a bit more interesting rather than another failed concept of the game.

I look at it and think could of should of ahh what a waste it was. Can't believe people paid money for this, I guess after playing similar things in other games I sort of guessed this is where this one was heading.

Right and if you checked why few people buy/play Arena/CQC, it's because it needs more maps, game modes and most importantly AI/NPCs to fill the lobbies.

Seconded. Add CQC to the main-game. So while we play the game we can hop into CQC virtual matches.

I'm saddened to hear of this. I was hoping that the standalone version would mean that Frontier would do a bit of work on CQCC Arena to add a few more features. I'm now hoping that this change will make Frontier have another look at what it can do about the excessive times it takes to get into a game.

Waiting for a "match" in Elite Dangerous: Arena without even a small idea how long its gonna take its pointless. Thats why this feature wasting so much potential and loosing players.
To solve this problem we should get an access to Arena through the main game for example: click queue in specific mode and just wait for a pop, after that we have to decide to join in 1 min or leave.
Or at least we should know how many players waiting for a match in particular game mode if Frontier don't want make any big changes in CQC.

Vermill

Banned
FD when You make Arena more fun and worth playing? It's empty but should be good alternative for people who like pvp with skill, without engineers RNG.
Meke some events, rewards, credits. Merge it with regular gameplay that we can queue from stations or our ships instead of wasting time waiting for match.
It's not hard to make this part of Elite great, just put some effort... Maybe instead making new skins for ships and waisting your time for only cosmetics, focus on something more fun in gameplay that CQC pvp is for sure.

Last edited:
A pity that it didn't work out better. It's not really my type of game, but it's fun and seems to fill a gap among arena shooters. I can't help but think that its poor sales were more of a marketing problem.

But what if in the moment you get released into a CQC session you already would be under attack (or short before)? Artificial CL then? :p
You could of course restrict this function to a docking state but would this be so much different than to the current situation?
Pretty simple really. You'd get a 15 second countdown timer, similar to the logout timer you get if you're in the middle of combat and try to leave the game. You have the option to say 'yes' and wait the 15 seconds to join the CQC match, or say no and be dropped from the CQC queue, and continue on in the main game.

What effect does this have on any future CQC/Arena updates?

Assuming there will ever be any updates, the builds will still need to be maintained

I seen many new players in CQC every day.

There are loads of games going. The problem is at least partly, the lobby. There are three modes to queue for but only one, Death Match, is likely to get a game. When people sit there for five minutes waiting for a Team Death Match, there is no way for them to know that there are several Death Match games going on at that moment or that there are already 4 other people trying for Team Death match and only one more is needed.

The lobby needs a way to show people that there IS actually a CQQ/Arena community and people nearly always attempting to play.

This is the main benefit of the CQC discord. You can see people who are either in a game or are actively waiting for a particular type of game.

Link to the CQC discord is in my sig.

I seen many new players in CQC every day.

There are loads of games going. The problem is at least partly, the lobby. There are three modes to queue for but only one, Death Match, is likely to get a game. When people sit there for five minutes waiting for a Team Death Match, there is no way for them to know that there are several Death Match games going on at that moment or that there are already 4 other people trying for Team Death match and only one more is needed.

The lobby needs a way to show people that there IS actually a CQQ/Arena community and people nearly always attempting to play.

This is the main benefit of the CQC discord. You can see people who are either in a game or are actively waiting for a particular type of game.

Link to the CQC discord is in my sig.

Happy for you but not my experience nor that of many others. In my case, it's likely a timezone and geographic thing (eg lack of players in my region rather than a lack overall), but that's why we need bots to fill empty spots.....

Last edited:
Overwatch regularly has 5-10 minute waits for games but they let you into a skirmish mode so you actually have something to do. Why not have a free fly mode where you can learn the maps and pew at other waiting players with no consequences?

Harbinger

Volunteer Moderator
As the OP states existing Arena owners will still be able to play it but as Frontier have now removed the product from Steam it does seem to imply that any further development of Arena/CQC is dead in the water seeing as Arena only owners will not be able to get any further client updates. They could of course push out further updates directly via the launcher but I think it's pretty unlikely any further updates will be forthcoming.

Last edited:
good. this was nothing but a time suck for developers and a mistake from day 1. Not sure why anyone thought this was a viable option when wing commander did the same thing like a decade ago and it sucked just as hard while being shunned just as appropriately by the community. It's a horrid concept that results in a rare situation where nearly all of the playerbase shares the same opinion.

I used to play another game (related to your avatar oddly enough) where that was exactly how arena queuing worked. The arena itself was an atrocious failfest but the queuing method did in fact work fine.

Top Bottom