News Elite Dangerous: Arena Removal From Sale

Now the question is: when will FD pull the plug and finally let CQC go to software heaven? It is quite obvious to anyone that it was a total failure. FD managed to reuse graphic assets, which is good (less money wasted), now it's time to stop wasting human resources and server space.

I thought CQC had loads of potential, but I don't know if FD ever had/have the time/money/patience to fulfil it.

Being able to meet people in-game and challenge them to a game of CQC would have been great. As would the option to take your main-game ships into CQC games (even if it isn't fair). Boosting the CQC rewards so they're not so trivial (would be very handy for those who die without rebuy). Allow player faction v player faction CQC challenges & tournaments. Maintain system/regional/galactic leaderboards, make CQC players into main-game sports stars. Add a race-mode through checkpoints, with force-shell weapons. Add more varied scenery (planetary surface maps). Add assault/defence modes (Defend the Scarabs vs Hunt the Scarabs etc.)

Just make it free. Or integrate it into the actual game. Or, you can let anyone get an Elite account for free but only be able to go into the Arena from the main menu. It should entice people to get the game, no?

On one hand, the news wasn't unexpected - CQC was never very popular and if dropping Arena from Steam will save Frontier a few dollars, then that's a few dollars that can be used elsewhere.

On the other hand, it's unfortunate that there doesn't seem to have been any investment in CQC since its launch. Considerable expense was required to create it, and all that went to waste because it was hamstrung by bad matchmaking. As others have pointed out, all it would take is some bots and better matchmaking and it would already be a far superior game to what it is now (practically unplayable).

Now if it would disappear from the Status menu in the cockpit in the main game it would be perfect!

I agree, have some rep. It should never have been there in the first place.
Makes me wonder if in 12/15 months time Multi Crew will be going down the same road :rolleyes:

Now if it would disappear from the Status menu in the cockpit in the main game it would be perfect!

I agree, have some rep. It should never have been there in the first place.

Double-agree.
I'm very chilled in-game: pirates, griefers, random neutron star jets, server crashes, all meh... but my OCD gets triggered whenever I see that 0% CQC stat ;)

FDev probably won't remove it though, as those that did play deserve to see their accomplishments. Best hope is they wrap CQC into the main game somehow, which just made me worried 2.4 is "CQC 2.0".

On the Waterfront

I thought CQC had loads of potential, but I don't know if FD ever had/have the time/money/patience to fulfil it.

Being able to meet people in-game and challenge them to a game of CQC would have been great. As would the option to take your main-game ships into CQC games (even if it isn't fair). Boosting the CQC rewards so they're not so trivial (would be very handy for those who die without rebuy). Allow player faction v player faction CQC challenges & tournaments. Maintain system/regional/galactic leaderboards, make CQC players into main-game sports stars. Add a race-mode through checkpoints, with force-shell weapons. Add more varied scenery (planetary surface maps). Add assault/defence modes (Defend the Scarabs vs Hunt the Scarabs etc.)

All of these ideas are great. The virtual fights with your current ships might be unfair, but they would've been valuable and inexpensive lessons.

The problem we have with our fighter club ladder is that we have to crawl our way towards the same physical location.

It could've been great.

The lobbies are empty because there's not enough active players... so to fill the lobbies add AI bots and also make it playable while in the main-game.

I think this is a good idea. I'd like a way to hone my (semi-incompetent) combat skills without having to risk my ship. In theory, CGC should a safe place to do this but without enough players it makes joining matches difficult, if not impossible. Personally, I'd like to train only against bots.

People have issues getting together for so much as a cup of tea in the same location. I don't think requiring in-game organisation of any kind to participate in CQC will work if we can't even do it now clicking a button in the menu.

Just leave it as a menu game where it is now, and at best allow players to queue up for participation while docked. Then if you cannot improve matchmaking through networking, just give us the damn bots guys...surely SJA will appreciate a second breed of minion?

I'm not surprised in the least--as I'm sure no one here will be either.

CQC/Arena was a marketing gimmick to attract the XB1 crowd. Now that those numbers are either in decline or stagnated, there's no reason to keep that sinking ship around. Pull the plug, Frontier, as it's obvious you had no intention of repairing it anyway.

CQC/Arena was a marketing gimmick

Problem is, biased conspiracy or not, it is fun and has potential. I for one will not lament the less confident having somewhere to build themselves up, and matchmaking aside thoroughly enjoy it when I go on.

It's actually something that should be encouraged so CMDRs can get that arcade pew-pew out their system. A melee of sidey/smaller ships with no consequence should be exactly for that.

We can then go back to doing the game/combat like big boys.

Last edited:
Good +1 from me to remove the ... qcq rank from the right panel which gets on my nerves every single time and dont try to make it happen again, even in game. I was one of the many who didnt like the rank while it was an outside activity and not in the main game. I was also one of the many who asked for it to be implemented inside the main game as part of it. No more. Failed once now let it die and admit the mistake, instead of the silly excuses.

Hope the same fate for power play and the engineer grind which converted this glorious game to a torture.

Lost a lot of faith in FD's sense when they brought out cqc. It's actually quite satisfying seeing it brought to an over-due end.

Just PP & rngineers to go.

winkingsmileyface of course

Last edited:
People have issues getting together for so much as a cup of tea in the same location. I don't think requiring in-game organisation of any kind to participate in CQC will work if we can't even do it now clicking a button in the menu.

Just leave it as a menu game where it is now, and at best allow players to queue up for participation while docked. Then if you cannot improve matchmaking through networking, just give us the damn bots guys...surely SJA will appreciate a second breed of minion?

I don't know how many people want "meeting up in game" to be a *requirement*, but an option to take an in-game dogfight to CQC would integrate it into the game more. Plus, you'd skip the match-making step since you already have the players selected - unless you want to wait for additional players to join.

Top Bottom