Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter One Beta FAQ

Paige Harvey

Community Manager
Hello everyone!

Here's a quick list of the most frequently asked questions about the Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter One Beta.

1) How do I download the beta?
The beta can be downloaded in one of two ways. Either via the game launcher as usual or for the first time ever, via Steam! When the beta goes live on January 25, 2018, please follow the instructions below to install the beta via Steam.
If you have Elite Dangerous in your Steam Library, you will be able to participate in the Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter One Beta using the Steam client. If you purchased the game from the Frontier Store and would like to add it to your Steam library, please follow the instructions in this support article.

To opt into the Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter One Beta on Steam:

1. Open the Steam client and navigate to your Library.
2. Right-click on Elite Dangerous and select Properties.
3. Click on the BETAS tab.
4. Select "Beta" through the drop-down box.
5. You will be prompted to restart your client. After restarting, launch Elite Dangerous to access Beyond - Chapter One Beta.
6. Select the beta from the launcher as usual.

Please note that once the beta build goes live, you may not see the "Beta" option immediately in the Steam client as the build may take some time to propagate. In this case, please restart your Steam client and try again in a few minutes.

*EDIT - Please note only PC players are eligible to download the Beta via Steam. Mac players, please download the beta via the launcher as usual.

2) Who is eligible to take part in the beta?
Every PC/Mac player is eligible to take part in the beta. This includes both players who own the Horizons Season Pass and those who do not. Not every part of the beta (and full update) will be available to those without the Season Pass.

3) How much does the beta cost?
The Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter One beta is free of charge.

4) Can consoles take part in the beta?
Unfortunately, we are currently unable to provide Elite Dangerous betas on consoles.

5) When will console players get
to experience Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter One?
Console players will be able to experience the full Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter One update at the same time as the PC players. Currently, we do not have a date available for the full update, but you'll be able to find out about it here on the forums or on our social channels when it's announced!

6) When will the beta go live on Thursday 25, 2018?
We don't have a set time for the beta to go live at this time, but we will keep you up to date via our social channels throughout the day

7) Should I take the day off to play the beta?
We wouldn't advise taking time off to play the beta first thing tomorrow, as we don't have an exact time that this will go live!

8) How do I report bugs that I've found in the beta?
A beta-specific bug forum will be opened on our forums tomorrow, 25 January 2018.

9) Do I have to start from the beginning of the game during the beta?
No. Your main game saves will have been duplicated within the last few weeks and applied to the beta server. This means you'll be able to play through the beta with most of your current game progress intact.

10) Does my progress during the beta carry over to the main game?

No. Everything you do in the beta will be wiped when the update goes live for the main game, and no progress will be carried across.

11) What content is in the beta?

You can find our beta Livestream recaps here to find out what content will be available in the beta!

12) What needs testing in the beta to make the most of this important testing period?

We will be adding notes to the beta test forums soon, with specific instructions on what would help us testing. Your continued support, feedback and testing is absolutely invaluable - thanks for getting involved! We'll post the link in here, too.1

13) I WANT TO TEST ALL THE THINGS AND REQUIRE CASH. Can I get extra credits on my account?
If you're playing the BETA, own the Horizons Season Pass and wish to test the majority of the new features, you can now DELETE YOUR BETA COMMANDER DATA and restart with 100,000,000 credits! Choose quick start IN THE BETA to do this. Remember, this is only in the beta... we cannot stress this enough!

Let us know if you have any further questions regarding the beta!

Social channels to follow:
Twitter - https://twitter.com/EliteDangerous
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/EliteDangerousOfficial
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/elitedangerous

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone!

Here's a quick list of the most frequently asked questions about the Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter One Beta.

The beta can be downloaded in one of two ways. Either via the game launcher as usual or for the first time ever, via Steam! When the beta goes live on January 25, 2018, please follow the instructions below to install the beta via Steam.
If you have Elite Dangerous in your Steam Library, you will be able to participate in the Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter One Beta using the Steam client. If you purchased the game from the Frontier Store and would like to add it to your Steam library, please follow the instructions in this support article.

5. You will be prompted to restart your client. After restarting, launch Elite Dangerous to access Beyond - Chapter One Beta.

Please note that once the beta build goes live, you may not see the "Beta" option immediately in the Steam client as the build may take some time to propagate. In this case, please restart your Steam client and try again in a few minutes.
Every PC/Mac player is eligible to take part in the beta. This includes both players who own the Horizons Season Pass and those who do not. Not every part of the beta (and full update) will be available to those without the Season Pass.

Unfortunately, we are currently unable to provide Elite Dangerous betas on consoles.

Console players will be able to experience the full Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter One update at the same time as the PC players. Currently, we do not have a date available for the full update, but you'll be able to find out about it here on the forums or on our social channels when it's announced!

We don't have a set time for the beta to go live at this time, but we will keep you up to date via our social channels throughout the day

We wouldn't advise taking time off to play the beta first thing tomorrow, as we don't have an exact time that this will go live!

A beta-specific bug forum will be opened on our forums tomorrow, 25 January 2018.

No. Your main game saves will have been duplicated within the last few weeks and applied to the beta server. This means you'll be able to play through the beta with most of your current game progress intact.

No. Everything you do in the beta will be wiped when the update goes live for the main game, and no progress will be carried across.

You can find our beta Livestream recaps here to find out what content will be available in the beta!

How big of a download is it?

Many thanks, Paige.

I am really looking forward to trying out the Beta. From what I've seen in the live streams Frontier have done an awesome job with this update. Thanks Frontier!

Paige Harvey

Community Manager
One for the FAQ: Does anything we do or say during beta have any effect on the game or is it just to placate us like the beyond feedback forum?

More than happy to answer that one for you Andrak :)

In regards to your actions during the beta, the main purpose of this beta is to receive bug reports and thorough testing of the new mechanics so that we can ensure any major issues are fixed and to gain valuable insight and feedback on those new mechanics. What you do and report during this time does indeed affect the game, much like the discussions held in the beyond feedback forum do! We've received some very valuable feedback from those forums which have influenced our designs and decisions for the Beyond set of updates, and we're really looking forward to running more ideas by the community as the year goes on.

If I take part in the beta through Steam following the instructions above can I still choose to launch the current live version from the launcher?

I'm keen to try the beta but I don't want to be prevented from playing the current live version for the duration of the beta.

Paige Harvey

Community Manager
If I take part in the beta through Steam following the instructions above can I still choose to launch the current live version from the launcher?

I'm keen to try the beta but I don't want to be prevented from playing the current live version for the duration of the beta.

When you launch the game, you can choose to play the live game or the beta :)

Tradução não oficial para o português

Hello everyone!

[EN-US]Non-oficial translate to Brazilian Portuguese:
[PT-BR]Tradução NÃO-OFICIAL para Português Brasileiro:

Olá a todos!

Aqui está uma lista rápida das perguntas mais frequentes sobre o Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter One Beta.

1) Como faço para baixar o beta?
O beta pode ser baixado de duas maneiras. Ou através do Game launcher como de costume ou pela primeira vez na história do Elite, via Steam! QUANDO O BETA FOR LANÇADO EM 25 de janeiro de 2018, siga as instruções abaixo para instalar o beta via Steam:

Se você tiver o Elite Dangerous em sua Biblioteca Steam, você poderá participar no Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter One Beta usando o cliente Steam. Se você comprou o jogo da Frontier Store e gostaria de adicioná-lo à sua biblioteca Steam, siga as instruções neste artigo de suporte: https://support.frontier.co.uk/kb/faq.php?id=200 <- está em inglês

Para optar baixar o Beta de Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Capítulo 1 no Steam:

1. Abra o cliente Steam e navegue até a sua Biblioteca.
2. Clique com o botão direito do mouse em Elite Dangerous e selecione Propriedades.
3. Clique na guia BETAS.
4. Selecione "Beta" na lista de seleção.
5. Você será solicitado a reiniciar seu cliente. Depois de reiniciar, inicie o Elite Dangerous para acessar o Beyond - Chapter One Beta.
6. Selecione o beta do launcher como de costume.

Por favor, note que, uma vez que a compilação beta for ativada, talvez você não veja a opção "Beta" imediatamente no cliente Steam, pois a compilação pode levar algum tempo para se propagar. Nesse caso, REINICIE SEU CLIENTE STEAM E TENTE NOVAMENTE EM ALGUNS MINUTOS.

2) Quem é elegível para participar da versão beta?
Todo o jogador PC / Mac é elegível para participar da versão beta. Isso inclui os jogadores que possuem o Horizons Season Pass e aqueles que não o fazem. Nem todas as partes da versão beta (e atualização completa) estarão disponíveis para aqueles sem o Passe de temporada.

3) Quanto custa o beta?
The Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Capítulo 1 BETA É GRATUITO.

4) Os consoles podem participar da versão beta?
Infelizmente, atualmente não podemos fornecer beta-beta Elite Dangerous em consoles.

5) Quando os jogadores do console começarão a experimentar Elite Dangerous: Além - Capítulo Um?
Os jogadores do console poderão experimentar a atualização completa da Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter One, ao mesmo tempo que os jogadores de PC. Atualmente, não temos uma data disponível para a atualização completa, mas você poderá descobrir sobre isso aqui nos fóruns ou nos nossos canais sociais quando anunciado!

6) Quando o beta será exibido na quinta-feira 25, 2018?
NÃO TEMOS UM HORÁRIO FIXO para o beta entrar em operação neste momento, mas o manteremos atualizado através de nossos canais sociais ao longo do dia

7) Devo tirar o dia de folga para jogar o beta?
Nós não aconselhamos a tirar tempo para jogar a primeira coisa beta amanhã, pois não temos um tempo exato para que isso vá em frente!

8) Como relato os erros encontrados na versão beta?
Um fórum de bugs específico para beta será aberto em nossos fóruns amanhã, 25 de janeiro de 2018.

9) Tenho que começar desde o início do jogo durante a versão beta?
Não. O SEU SAVE PRINCIPAL DO JOGO FOI DUPLICADO NAS ÚLTIMAS SEMANAS E APLICADO AO SERVIDOR BETA. Isso significa que você poderá jogar através do beta com a maior parte do seu progresso no jogo atual intacto.

10) O meu progresso durante o beta é transferido para o jogo principal?
Não. TUDO O QUE VOCÊ FAZ NO BETA SERÁ APAGADO QUANDO A ATUALIZAÇÃO FOR INCORPORADA PARA O JOGO PRINCIPAL, e nenhum progresso será realizado.

11) Qual conteúdo está na versão beta?
Você pode encontrar nossa versão beta da Livestream aqui para descobrir qual conteúdo estará disponível na versão beta!

Deixe-nos saber se você tem mais dúvidas sobre o beta!

Os canais sociais a seguir:

You do know you're breaking with a tradition here, now? I mean, setting up a beta FAQ before the beta went live?

But a nice change - keep it up, and maybe even get the release notes out before the actual beta download starts? Pretty please, so I have something to read at work while everyone else is already downloading the beta?

Paige Harvey

Community Manager
You do know you're breaking with a tradition here, now? I mean, setting up a beta FAQ before the beta went live?

But a nice change - keep it up, and maybe even get the release notes out before the actual beta download starts? Pretty please, so I have something to read at work while everyone else is already downloading the beta?

Will do what we can! :)

I've not actually participated in a beta for a LONG time.

Will there be a list of specific things you want us to test or is it simply a case of dive in, try out all the new stuff, report anything that doesn't seem right?

Also - there are lots of long standing bugs (dark rectangles on planets, missing quantity decrement sound, jumbled messages in comms panel, etc, etc). If these are not specifically mentioned in the patch notes (do we get patch notes for a beta?) then should we be retesting these and re-reporting them if they're still in the game?

Top Bottom