Elite Dangerous Community Schedule W/C 19th July 2021

Zac Cocken

Junior Product Manager
Frontier
Greetings Commanders!

Monday's mean a brand new week and a new Community Schedule to go with it! Let's take a look at the week ahead in the world of Elite Dangerous:

DFRKrht.png

Tuesday

Supercruise News #42: Zac & Sally are back for another instalment of Supercruise News where they'll be sharing all the highlights from the Elite community.

Wednesday

Stellar Screenshots: Last week's entries were one of the best in recent weeks, can you top them? Make sure you enter by Wednesday!

Thursday

Odyssey Open Play: Zac and Arthur will be heading into Open to take on some missions in Odyssey and see where the adventure takes us! Due to a special stream from our friends at Lemnis Gate, Thursday's Elite stream will be on Twitch only, so see you there!

Friday

Commander Creations: Have you got a creative side? Show it off using the hashtag #CommanderCreations for your chance to be featured in our weekly roundup of the finest art the galaxy has to offer!

Have a great week, Commanders.

o7

To anticipate obvious questions coming: no, no update 6 this week, it won't be coming before next week at best.
Probably AFTER the second dev update (they need something to write about in it afterall!...), so it might be further away

edit: slightly too late!

Last edited:
Greetings Commanders!

Odyssey Open Play: Zac and Arthur will be heading into Open to take on some missions in Odyssey and see where the adventure takes us! Due to a special stream from our friends at Lemnis Gate, Thursday's Elite stream will be on Twitch only, so see you there!
Yay Open! While it will probably end poorly for you, it is a way for the community involved. I used to love chasing down Ed when he played in Open, though my goal was to protect him, not gank him.

As for Twitch only, this is just the livestream yes? You'll still be able to post a YouTube vid after-the-fact, I hope. I'm curious how the Open play will go.

Update 6: Nothing to announce at the moment, obviously as soon as it's all locked in we'll let you know.

Dev Update 2: Still on track for the end of the month (not this week)
Goes without saying, but the sooner you can get us info, the better. We're still in dire need of good news and further improvements to the game, so that at least the people who still wanna be here can have a good experience.

Thanks for everything you do, Zac.

Update 6 is going to take a bit I would imagine. Updates 1 - 5 probably handled the bulk of the "easy" fixes, most of what's left are probably hard problems.

I do not mean to diminish the Dev's work in June, by the way. That was a hell of a crunch you guys went through. I'm sorry the beancounters did that to you.

Also they probably have to re-plan the next phases, since another beancounting-based decision had them on the path to work on consoles next but has since changed course.

I feel for you guys. Seriously. Every time I'm down at the bottom and told I must work 90 hours a week for three months straight for no extra money, because if I don't the guys at the top might not get their full multimillion dollar bonus at the end of the fiscal year, I experience death on the inside, again and again.

Update 6: Nothing to announce at the moment, obviously as soon as it's all locked in we'll let you know.
Zac, I dont know how obvious it is you will only let us know something once it's all locked in. Companies like Asobo keep everyone in the loop at all times and it works great. In contrast, FD's community management approach has been a consistent failure year after year.

Maybe I am no expert on this, but why not do something proven to work instead of an approach that never worked?

Zac Cocken

Junior Product Manager
Frontier
Zac, I dont know how obvious it is you will only let us know something once it's all locked in. Companies like Asobo keep everyone in the loop at all times and it works great. In contrast, FD's community management approach has been a consistent failure year after year.

Maybe I am no expert on this, but why not do something proven to work instead of an approach that never worked?

Hey Ian, Asobo do great work, but each product and studio do things differently, for better or worse. We are working on becoming more consistent and open with our messaging, but it's not a quick fix, it's a bit like turning a big ship. We're working on it one day at a time. We have an end goal in mind for our communication, and we're not there yet.

Hey Ian, Asobo do great work, but each product and studio do things differently, for better or worse. We are working on becoming more consistent and open with our messaging, but it's not a quick fix, it's a bit like turning a big ship. We're working on it one day at a time. We have an end goal in mind for our communication, and we're not there yet.

Hi Zac,

Can you give us an idea on what the "end goal" that you have in mind is please?

Thanks.

Zac Cocken

Junior Product Manager
Frontier
Hi Zac,

Can you give us an idea on what the "end goal" that you have in mind is please?

Thanks.

I think the main thing as a team we want to pull off is more insight into what's coming next, and the current progress / challenges, as David said in his recent message. I'm looking forward to getting the ball rolling on that kind of thing on a regular basis if possible. I know it's not game related but sharing things like the community calendar ahead of time in a WIP state is something that we would like to translate into game news - we did so with the Outfitting UI changes that came in recently, and I think it went down well.

I'm afraid that all the waiting for Update 6 will send expectations through the roof again. So with the current state of the game, I'm almost expecting a new game. It certainly would help to explain, why certain things take so long to fix. And no, I really don't want to be in the developers' shoes now and even less so if update 6 doesn't deliver again.
I don't expect too much from update 6, i think that the longer development cycle than the others five is due to them trying to introduce less new bugs in it!

I think the main thing as a team we want to pull off is more insight into what's coming next, and the current progress / challenges, as David said in his recent message. I'm looking forward to getting the ball rolling on that kind of thing on a regular basis if possible. I know it's not game related but sharing things like the community calendar ahead of time in a WIP state is something that we would like to translate into game news - we did so with the Outfitting UI changes that came in recently, and I think it went down well.

Thanks Zac. I'll look forward to more insight into what's coming next, and current progress / challenges. (y)

Dev Update 2: Still on track for the end of the month (not this week)
Zac, I hope its obvious at this point, but Dev Update 2 should not cover what's in Update 6 if its being launched within a week of the dev update and contains general fixes and performance optimization. I believe the community expecting to expand upon David Braben's post of feature updates to Odyssey.

Zac, I hope its obvious at this point, but Dev Update 2 should not cover what's in Update 6 if its being launched within a week of the dev update and contains general fixes and performance optimization. I believe the community expecting to expand upon David Braben's post of feature updates to Odyssey.
Maybe the'll release update 6 a few weeks later to make it legit.
For sure at least half of the dev update will cover update 6 in some way

Top Bottom