Elite Dangerous Community Schedule W/C 24 May 2021

Zac Cocken

Junior Product Manager
Frontier
Greetings Commanders!

It's the start of a brand new week and it's time to look ahead at the community activity this week in the world of Elite Dangerous! The launch of Odyssey brings with it a host of new community ideas that we're excited to start implementing in the coming weeks, but for now, here's the schedule for this week:

BI7o5BL.png

Please bear in mind, this schedule is for purely community activity, and doesn't include any planned hotfixes / patches. You'll be hearing more about those soon.

Tuesday

Supercruise News #34: It's our first Supercruise News post Odyssey launch! We'll be diving into all the exciting things Commanders have been doing since launch.

Wednesday

Stellar Screenshots: Stellar Screenshots has the potential to be special this week! For the first time, the galaxy is opened up for Commanders to explore on foot, so we're expecting some amazing images!

Thursday

Odyssey Missions: We're heading into Elite Dangerous: Odyssey to get started with some on-foot missions, and see what trouble we can get into!

Friday

Commander Creations: We're excited to continue the #CommanderCreations initiative after more amazing entries! Please keep them coming using the hashtag on Twitter!

Once again, thank you for your support and patience as we continue to take those first steps into a new era of Elite Dangerous!

o7

A "showcase" schedule is a very good thing to do when you have a finish/working new product you want people to hear and see about it.

Sadly, this is not the case for Odyssey.

I would really aim all the working force to fix the uncountable issues we players have.

Anyways, I have hope the coding team is working really hard to fix all the nonsense we are experiencing. And I really hope they have someone that knows about gaming developing leading that team.

Supercruise News #34: It's our first Supercruise News post Odyssey launch! We'll be diving into all the exciting things Commanders have been doing since launch.
'exciting' is not a word I would use to describe anything about Odyssey since launch. I can think of much more accurate words, but I'll settle for 'disappointed' and 'frustrated'.

I've spent more time trying to tune the graphics settings and playing with video drivers only see the analysis that someone with dev tools has done that prove that that rendering is just really bad. I thought getting lower frame rates than Cyberpunk 2077 must be a mistake - and is, just not mine.

The ONLY thing I want to see is someone senior at FDev to go on stream and apologise for the mess that Odyssey is today. Acknowledge the big issues and explain some of the why and give us some idea of a road map for fixes.

Saying "We know there are some issues at the moment and we all working really hard to fix them" is NOT enough.
We need to hear someone senior actually list the major issues and acknowledge them.

The Big Issues:
  • Server issues - lots of people simply can't play at all due to various client / server issues.
  • Frame rates - it's been proven with debug tools that Odyssey is not culling objects and is drawing a stupid amount of things that can't even be seen - resulting in frame rates that are just unacceptable in the title in 2021 ( It's not like you added ray tracing or support for DX12 or Vulkan or anything close 'current' generation! )
  • Planet Tech - majority of cases it actually looks worse than Horizons - the new system is generating repeating patterns, no interesting features and basically makes exploration pointless because all the planets are based on the same limited set of hand made textures, just randomly rotated and resized!
  • UI changes - too many little issue that add up to worse UI than Horizons - not to mention ugly blocky orange monochrome icons all over the place.
  • Rendering too dark - I'm not convinced by this but many people are complaining - so add an option and make the gamma settings work better so people can dial in levels that they want for space. ( not the whole screen!! planets and bases are bright enough already ).
There are more issues, lots of them, the forums are full of people complaining about 'different' things - it's not like one element is broken and everyone if shouting about it - there lots of serious issues that need to be Acknowledge and Addressed by management.

If the live streams ignore or brush off all these issues then the some people will just ask for a refund, some will just walk about forget about Elite, some will continue to shout and complain on the forums - none of these options are good for Frontier.

The ONLY thing I want to see is someone senior at FDev to go on stream and apologise for the mess that Odyssey is today. Acknowledge the big issues and explain some of the why and give us some idea of a road map for fixes.

Saying "We know there are some issues at the moment and we all working really hard to fix them" is NOT enough.
We need to hear someone senior actually list the major issues and acknowledge them.

The Big Issues:
  • Server issues - lots of people simply can't play at all due to various client / server issues.
  • Frame rates - it's been proven with debug tools that Odyssey is not culling objects and is drawing a stupid amount of things that can't even be seen - resulting in frame rates that are just unacceptable in the title in 2021 ( It's not like you added ray tracing or support for DX12 or Vulkan or anything close 'current' generation! )
  • Planet Tech - majority of cases it actually looks worse than Horizons - the new system is generating repeating patterns, no interesting features and basically makes exploration pointless because all the planets are based on the same limited set of hand made textures, just randomly rotated and resized!
  • UI changes - too many little issue that add up to worse UI than Horizons - not to mention ugly blocky orange monochrome icons all over the place.
  • Rendering too dark - I'm not convinced by this but many people are complaining - so add an option and make the gamma settings work better so people can dial in levels that they want for space. ( not the whole screen!! planets and bases are bright enough already ).
There are more issues, lots of them, the forums are full of people complaining about 'different' things - it's not like one element is broken and everyone if shouting about it - there lots of serious issues that need to be Acknowledge and Addressed by management.

If the live streams ignore or brush off all these issues then the some people will just ask for a refund, some will just walk about forget about Elite, some will continue to shout and complain on the forums - none of these options are good for Frontier.
David Braben already did the very first bit of your request (go on stream and apologise) but I too would like official comments/roadmap on getting all this sorted.

So no acknowledge of the immense bevy of legitimate grievances your players have with the game, then? Just "business as usual?"

I'd rather see a roadmap of when/how you are going to fix this dogpoop filled dumpster fire fiasco that you are calling Elite Dangerous:Odyssey, or announce that this is a late April Fool's Joke and it is really a beta test.

An apology is not just saying "sorry" (which he barely did), and it's not even fixing the damage (when he hasn't yet done), it's a commitment to avoid the behaviours that led to the wrongdoing in the first place.

So no acknowledge of the immense bevy of legitimate grievances your players have with the game, then? Just "business as usual?"
It's not Zac's fault, Andreus. He is as throttled as our CPUs and GPU's.

Sadly, your question needs to be asked of those who often do not deign to interact with us.

I'm so sorry that those at Frontier who actually do work with us and code have to put up with "corporate" decisions. We love you guys and know that you have to deal with a lot of digestive end product.

o7

<3 to the CM team!

Being at the front, it must be really tough for you: you have my solidarity! Hang on in there!

On the plus side, after this experience, I am sure Michael O'leary himself will reach out to you all to propose a PR role at Ryanair!

Expect a proper roasting this week.

Oh yes it's about time you tell us your PC SPECS. No more avoiding the question that has been asked by me and others on every stream.

Thanks for the update.

Some of you people are chasing them off the forums again, I know it frustrating but is this the right thread for it? If we lose all comms again Ill be growling. they have acknowledged the issue and it will take time to fix. And they wont say something until they have something to say like next hotfix soon or available now you must know that by now. Let the devs do their job and fix the issues and let the CMs do their job and communicate. They obviously cant fix it overnight or they would have. Just calm down its not the end of the world.

Edit: P.S. Some console news would be appreciated.

Top Bottom