Elite Dangerous: Console Hotfix plans and Light Catch Up [POST UPDATED 07/01/2022]

Greetings Commanders,

A very warm and happy 3308 to you all - it's really great to be back in The Black with you all in another epic journey across our evolving Galaxy with another year set ahead of us.
We're taking time this week to gather our plans, catch up and prepare - so bear with us for a few days more on schedules and such as we get out stars aligned.

What I am happy to share is that the team have been working on a small hotfix this week for Elite Dangerous console players, to address the following:
  • Cannot edit fire groups - menu navigation does not work.
    • If your ship has modules that fall under the Utility category, you're unable to set your fire groups because navigation within the fire groups tab does not work.
    • Further Reading: Commanders can become unable to set fire groups for such modules as the Detailed Surface Scanner (DSS), Data Link/Comp Scanner due to not being able to navigate down the menu at all. After subsequent investigation, it seems the Fire Groups menu works without issue when Hardpoints or large Optional Modules (such as a Multi-Limpet Controller) are equipped, but after removing those so only Utility Mounts or smaller Optional Modules (such as the DSS) remain, the Fire Groups menu becomes unresponsive.
The hotfix is looking good for release early next week with the usual caveat of "subject to change", but just wanted to give you a rough idea of timescale.
You'll be kept in the loop as we move with the release schedule specifics.​

I'm also refreshing lists with known issues we were tracking last year which are not yet planned for immediate fix (in the form of hotfixes like the above) BUT are in sight as candidates for Update 10 (again, as usual, if anything changes with scheduling fixes we'll let you know for sure).

One to call out specifically is that we've picked up on the following issue reported from the Community, which has been noted and logged:
  • Credit Balance Not Updating On Ship System Panel When Performing Any Balance-Changing Action (Buying/Selling Commodities, Missions etc.) Until After Relog.
    • Checked internally for both Commodity Market changes and rewards from missions. Credit balances update only with a relog.

The common heavy hitters/some fallout from Update 9 which are always worthy of noting are listed but not limited to the below:
  • Investigations on reports of performance issues continue (thank you for the latest threads/conversations!).
  • Starting Frameshift makes the game freeze/lock.
  • Unable to access Session Logs.
  • Disconnect/suspended in Supercruise.
  • Empty Faclities lists for Stations in the system map.
  • Continued experiences of stability issues on console, particularly PS5 but also on Xbox.
  • Inconsistency with Codex entries.
  • Commanders are unable to use the Profile Analyser to clone the profile of NPC corpses (Can't believe Paul didn't use the term 'Corpse' in his last post on Known issues. Even Bruce didn't. I just wanted an excuse to use it again, but their use of 'deceased' was way more elegant to be fair).
  • Hostile ships can appear incorrectly (as non-hostile) on the radar.
  • “Floating” Guardian Materials at Guardian Sites were sighted and logged.
  • The Scorpion turret remains to be inheriting textures/decals from the ground that dance/parallax across it. Texture movement is at its worst when the SRV itself is in motion.
  • Instances of the Odyssey On-foot tutorial being unable to be completed due to it not finishing.
    • Occasionally, when the player disembarks, the game will display ' Board the Dropship' even though Dylan leaves the port. The player can then go into the concourse of the social space, but nothing will work as it should as they're not supposed to be here.

I'm absolutely sure that I haven't included every issue you'd like to have seen mentioned in this real quick update for you super stars today, but rest assured that the same statement still stands in that these lists are just the surface "callouts and nods" to issues that have been more openly discussed previously.

We're still actively reading, noting and trawling the Issue Tracker/Forums/Social Channels for reports which we remain ever grateful for. Thank you always! o7

Hope you've had a lovely week so far! Here's to 3308!

o7
Welcome back and here’s to a great 2022!

:D S

• If your ship has modules that fall under the Utility category, you're unable to set your fire groups because navigation within the fire groups tab does not work.
  • Further Reading: Commanders can become unable to set fire groups for such modules as the Detailed Surface Scanner (DSS), Data Link/Comp Scanner due to not being able to navigate down the menu at all. After subsequent investigation, it seems the Fire Groups menu works without issue when Hardpoints or large Optional Modules (such as a Multi-Limpet Controller) are equipped, but after removing those so only Utility Mounts or smaller Optional Modules (such as the DSS) remain, the Fire Groups menu becomes unresponsive.
The further reading details don't fit my case. I've got heat sinks (utility), a wake scanner (utility), and a collector limpet controller (optional), and the only thing that shows up is "Controller." Navigation in the tab does not work. I removed the controller, putting it in storage, and the fire groups tab still says "Controller."

Edit: I switched to a ship that didn't have a controller, and the only thing listed was "Controller," but relogging fixed this.

Last edited:

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
The further reading details don't fit my case. I've got heat sinks (utility), a wake scanner (utility), and a collector limpet controller (optional), and the only thing that shows up is "Controller." Navigation in the tab does not work. I removed the controller, putting it in storage, and the fire groups tab still says "Controller."

Edit: I switched to a ship that didn't have a controller, and the only thing listed was "Controller," but relogging fixed this.
Okies, thanks. All extra case info I'll glady pass on as always :) Might just be that I don't have ALL of the scenarios to include in the known issue info and it's covered but definitely worth the check o7

sallymorganmoore

You mention this for consoles. I don't have a console but have this (or very similar) issue in ED Horizons for PC. workaround seems to be exit to desktop and configure firegroup after logging back in and before doing anything else. A 2nd visit to the firegroup tends to revert to unresponsive menu. I assumed this was known as I recall it being mentioned a few weeks ago.
Yess sorry, earlier in the thread I addressed another Commander asking why I didn't mention PC - it's only because right now I only have info regarding the fix for consoles BUT if you give me a little mo I'll have an update on expected fixes for firegroups on PC shortly and will update the thread accordingly :)

sallymorganmoore

This fix is highly likely (please prepare for it) to require you to once again reassign your firegroups for all ships once the hotfitx is applied. I was going to mention this in the deployment schedule on the day BUT I'm just thinking ahead and popping it here early. I don't want it to be as much of a pain for you as it would be to hear this on the very morning of the hotfix going live (I know it's a pain either way but I hope having the note here softens it even a little).

bZlYHsA.gif

P.S. Happy new year Sally! (think I forgot to say before) - once more into the fray eh? 😄 💜

Hello Sally, all the best to the New Year! 🙂

Fix mentioned for fire groups will affect also Odyssey players? (It’s little chaos with all these different game versions…)

sallymorganmoore

If I could be more gentle, know I would be (his iconic expression here - fun story - I closed my eyes for as a kid because it used to really upset me).

P.S. Happy new year Sally! (think I forgot to say before) - once more into the fray eh? 😄 💜
Happy New Year to you too, Alec! Always a treasure. Gosh, we go again ay?! Let's do this!

sallymorganmoore

Hello Sally, all the best to the New Year! 🙂

Fix mentioned for fire groups will affect also Odyssey players? (It’s little chaos with all these different game versions…)

Hello! Happy New Year to you too! Thank you so much!

A chunky firegroups issue I can see as fallout from last year, which isn't related to the one in my OP is:
  • Empty fire groups surrounded by populated fire groups do not automatically clear (I'm double checking on this from last year).
There are a number of others which were reported at the end of last year which I'll need time to follow up on and get my head around, but any further fixes coming with the Horizons hotfix In this particular post - I'll let you know about.
Right now, as mentioned, these hotfixes only touch Horizons.

@sallymorganmoore
Good morning to ya sorry if this problem has already been mentioned but only came across it last night. Went to equip a Rescue Multi Limpet Controller when trying to assign it in fire groups was only showing my existing collector limpet controller. Even when current collector was removed this was still showing in fire groups with no sign of the Multi Rescue limpet controller, when trying to cycle through fire groups it crashed to home screen. Ship was an Anaconda with other utilities assigned and hard points equipped, this was on Xbox Series S happened approx midnight 07/01/22. Also in outfitting the new Rescue controller was not assigned a name in outfitting just an image only when selected did a name appear and then appeared bugged as repeated twice " 3c 3c Rescue " looks like you came into 3308 running lol hope you got comfy trainers 😜
Cheers muchley

sallymorganmoore

@sallymorganmoore
Good morning to ya sorry if this problem has already been mentioned but only came across it last night. Went to equip a Rescue Multi Limpet Controller when trying to assign it in fire groups was only showing my existing collector limpet controller. Even when current collector was removed this was still showing in fire groups with no sign of the Multi Rescue limpet controller, when trying to cycle through fire groups it crashed to home screen. Ship was an Anaconda with other utilities assigned and hard points equipped, this was on Xbox Series S happened approx midnight 07/01/22. Also in outfitting the new Rescue controller was not assigned a name in outfitting just an image only when selected did a name appear and then appeared bugged as repeated twice " 3c 3c Rescue "
Thanks for this! REALLY nicely written out for me with all the deets, so it's hugely appreciated and easy to check in on.

looks like you came into 3308 running lol hope you got comfy trainers 😜
My laces were tied 48 hours before I even clocked in. You all should know this ;)

Top Bottom