Elite Dangerous: Console Hotfix plans and Light Catch Up [POST UPDATED 07/01/2022]

What's the exploit? What's the advantage they have over stashing a 'conda in a FC and logging off?
On its own not much, though it could combine with other things.

Head out to distant X in a ship, docking only at megaships/FCs (Colonia Bridge makes this easy for some routes), do stuff with the ship out there.
Use the megaship escape pod to return to your home station, switch to Horizons to instantly get your ship back too.
Similar to the prison taxi but without so much dying. So ... probably more than nothing but not enough to be worth bothering about.

Best actual exploit I can get out of it is:
- get an Anaconda, lightweight it as much as possible, big fuel scoop, rest of the optionals passenger cabins. Range is still over 50LY.
- start in a Colonia system at a conventional orbital or surface port, pick up 10 famous explorers at 50M each for tourist beacons in the bubble
- fly to the bubble, docking only at CB megaships to repair FSD (technically "unsafe locations")
- scan the beacons
- dock at a FC/megaship, escape pod to the mission source station
- switch to Horizons to get your ship back too, hand in the missions
Should be possible to do the whole thing in under 4 hours, for >125M/hour. But it's a lot of effort and there's easier ways to earn more than that even so.
(Equally, if just in-game time is counted, there's 28 days realtime to do the missions so you can already go both ways while asleep on a carrier and get ~500M/hour for the logged-in hours if you're fast enough on the tourist beacon circuit)

On its own not much, though it could combine with other things.

Head out to distant X in a ship, docking only at megaships/FCs (Colonia Bridge makes this easy for some routes), do stuff with the ship out there.
Use the megaship escape pod to return to your home station, switch to Horizons to instantly get your ship back too.
Similar to the prison taxi but without so much dying. So ... probably more than nothing but not enough to be worth bothering about.

Best actual exploit I can get out of it is:
- get an Anaconda, lightweight it as much as possible, big fuel scoop, rest of the optionals passenger cabins. Range is still over 50LY.
- start in a Colonia system at a conventional orbital or surface port, pick up 10 famous explorers at 50M each for tourist beacons in the bubble
- fly to the bubble, docking only at CB megaships to repair FSD (technically "unsafe locations")
- scan the beacons
- dock at a FC/megaship, escape pod to the mission source station
- switch to Horizons to get your ship back too, hand in the missions
Should be possible to do the whole thing in under 4 hours, for >125M/hour. But it's a lot of effort and there's easier ways to earn more than that even so.
(Equally, if just in-game time is counted, there's 28 days realtime to do the missions so you can already go both ways while asleep on a carrier and get ~500M/hour for the logged-in hours if you're fast enough on the tourist beacon circuit)
Maybe an exploit that would be easier - fill up the conda with PP items, use apex to travel where they are needed, relog to Horizons to bring your ship to you. Hey presto, you can automate PP with no need to bother with any flying at all. If that works then automating PP becomes trivial.

Maybe an exploit that would be easier - fill up the conda with PP items, use apex to travel where they are needed, relog to Horizons to bring your ship to you. Hey presto, you can automate PP with no need to bother with any flying at all. If that works then automating PP becomes trivial.
Ah, yes - the range isn't the crucial bit, is it. Also works for normal cargo transfer, cargo missions, etc. And they can't stop it simply by deleting the cargo in that situation (as it would on a normal in-Odyssey ship transfer) because that would just plain be a bug in other situations. That does need fixing, then... as per my previous comment on the bug tracker, it probably needs a Youtuber to produce a "zero risk open powerplay" video to initiate a hundred-page Hotel California thread since there's no way something this niche is getting ten confirmations in a month otherwise.

Easiest fix I can think of: if you log in to Horizons you teleport back to your active ship, not the other way round. Still has exploits possible but rather less severe ones, I think.

Won't that just send you to the last FC/megaship you docked at?
No - the escape pods are designed for the case where you arrived at a potentially [1] movable dockable via a method - either Apex or your own ship - where the movement of the ship could then strand you. So you go to the last "safe" station instead - there's a few "what does this button do? / oh, it means I have to spend a billion on ship transfer" threads from just after they were introduced.

[1] They're present on ones which have no intention of moving as well.

I could think of a few mitigations if it were possible, but it boils down to making PP less hauling dependent and more involving in the 'doing' part- in short designing the loophole out.

In fact my latest proposed changes are immune to this.

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
@sallymorganmoore I tried filing an issue over the holidays regarding missing entries in the journal but the issue tracker was not working. Is that resolved? Or is there an alternative place to report this?

Glad to see you back!
-- Cmdr Coddiwompler
Morning :)
Is it definitely still not working at all for you now (just seeing as it's after the holidays and ANYTHING could have happend...). If you can managet to ger the issue in you can reply to this with the link for me to run with.

Sally's on a roll today.
Look I know this may have been asked before, but does Frontier have (or is it preparing) a statement regarding the "illegal experimental tech" and "stolen Zorgon Peterson prototype" that were demonstrated a few days ago by an unnamed individual?

Ah, yes - the range isn't the crucial bit, is it. Also works for normal cargo transfer, cargo missions, etc. And they can't stop it simply by deleting the cargo in that situation (as it would on a normal in-Odyssey ship transfer) because that would just plain be a bug in other situations. That does need fixing, then... as per my previous comment on the bug tracker, it probably needs a Youtuber to produce a "zero risk open powerplay" video to initiate a hundred-page Hotel California thread since there's no way something this niche is getting ten confirmations in a month otherwise.

Easiest fix I can think of: if you log in to Horizons you teleport back to your active ship, not the other way round. Still has exploits possible but rather less severe ones, I think.
I just tested it and it is ok - after a Apex trip then relogging to Horizons just puts you back where your ship was - so then we're back to using physical m/c which limits the scope. I wouldn't say it was an exploit any more than suicidewindering - more a 'quirk'. And we know how people love to complain about quirks :)

I just tested it and it is ok - after a Apex trip then relogging to Horizons just puts you back where your ship was - so then we're back to using physical m/c which limits the scope. I wouldn't say it was an exploit any more than suicidewindering - more a 'quirk'. And we know how people love to complain about quirks :)
Agreed, if you can physical multicrew there, then someone could just have flown the cargo in anyway. Wing nav-lock in some systems is already pretty much sufficient for star-station teleporting.

What about:
- load cargo at A
- Apex A->B
- Get onto a ship at B, then disembark again (maybe with that ship doing a launch-and-dock)
- then switch to Horizons

Ah, I hadn't realised that applied to setting your active ship to someone else's ship as well. In that case, yes, no problem.
I think I'm probably missing something from your post - I didn't see anything to do with m/c so was assuming that was all in your own ships.

Was the intention:

What about:
  • load cargo at A
  • Apex A->B
  • Physical m/c onto a ship at B, then disembark again (maybe with that ship doing a launch-and-dock)
  • then switch to Horizons

In which case I have no idea :)

Noted it down, thanks (eager Carrier jump AI there!).
There's something screwy going on with carrier jumps in general. this is just second hand information but a cmdr told me yesterday that after plotting a course the carrier gave a departure time of an hour and twenty minutes. They logged out and logged back in later and it still hadn't jumped. Sorry there's no proof but it mightt add colour to the issue.

1641817484273.png

Top Bottom