Elite Dangerous : Crash To Desktop/Console Crash Instances (Over Coffee?)

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Going in with the wild approach.

Greetings Commanders o7

Few things on the lists, but one of them I'm making a bit less headway in tracking than I'd like is the apparant increase in 'Crash to Desktop/Console Crash' occurances since Update 8/latest Horizons update.

Now, that's not to say there were no reports of CTDs/Console Crashes before Update 8/latest Horizons update.
We're totally aware that crashes still happen and the team continue to dig deep into diagnostics available to them - but I want to be a massive pain here.

This early on a Thursday and ask if you would reply to this thread for me with a few things if you're experiencing a sudden occurance of OR an increase in CTDs/Console crashes since Update 8/latest Horizons update.

The team think they have leads on some specific stability issues pre 8/Horizons update, that's great, we're working on those, but something else might be causing an impact and I'm up for trying this "info farming" approach this morning if you are? You never know, the results may prove we've already nailed it BUT...Just want to make absolute sure.

Info needed please (as concise a format as this below, would be lovely):
  • In game Commander Name / Commander ID.
  • Odyssey or Horizons encountered? (report from all platforms to me, throw them in the pot).
  • Do you have any more information you can briefly summarisefor me along with this information please?
    • I'm aware there are still a number of you experiencing CTDs using the galaxy map/system map for example.
    • Entering Livery? Using the different Hubs?
    • Instances of high action/high volume areas?
As I say, we're continuing to investigate internally, always, I just want to jump in here and provide any extra layer of support from individual player reports and logs we can dig into.

No need to provide logs directly unless asked o7

Thanks so much.

Last edited:
Cmdr netchild
EDO
yesterday: On-foot high CZ in a team
once we got a CTD both at the same time (we had to restart the entire CZ)
twice I got it alone (and was able to join the CZ-team)
several other issues with the CZ, like no mission objectives (no Alpha/Bravo showing up, only enemies), checkerboard-tiles-look-alike as ground-texture

today in a low CZ, no team: no issues

edit: I didn't experience those issues or CTDs before in ground-CZ, I'm not sure if I played ground-CZ in u7... but at least in u6 I didn't had issues.

Hello,

this is commander Imo writing. :)

I experience a massive amount of quit to desktop in Odyssey since Odyssey launched, not only since update 8.

It often happened right after clicking start via the Launcher so that it crashed before the game even opened.

Also often it happens in supercruise, maybe in the moment when the drop out at the destination should happen.

Of course I send back any single crash reporter that opens to make Frontier aware of this issue.

Greetings, Cmdr Imo

CMDR zimms
Odyssey

Crash at high intensity CZ.
Arrived via Frontline Solutions, dropped out of the ship, game froze for a few seconds, crash to desktop.
Logged back in, spawned about 7km outside the settlement. Ran towards it and could already see ships and turrets firing. Arrived at settlement, freeze, crash to desktop.
Quit for the day.
Next day, logged back in, 7km outside the settlement. Ran towards it. No crash, participated in CZ successfully.

Cmdr Deriv
CTD in a surface low CZ yesterday, we had nearly won. First time I've had a CTD in a CZ.
I do get lots of CTDs in the Galaxy map but that's been happening for some time.

The team think they have leads on some specific stability issues pre 8/Horizons update, that's great, we're working on those, but something else might be causing an impact and I'm up for trying this "info farming" approach this morning if you are? You never know, the results may prove we've already nailed it BUT...Just want to make absolute sure.
Commander name: Angus
Odyssey
The CTD's have only been happening since Update 8. I spent a lot of time last weekend (and before?) in Settlement Conflict Zones and it would happen in about 20% of the fights. There would a brief stutter-stutter then Crash! I've since been flying around checking out signal sources in space and it hasn't happened there at all.

Was teamed up with my wingmates last night at a compromised nav beacon but when any of us were returning from my carrier we experienced several Purple Python's but seemingly only when jumping back into the beacon if one of our team was already in the instance. If we were jumping in together there was no issue

CMDR Malius
PC / Steam / Odyssey
Among a few other strange problems with bookmarks, I had a local bookmark related crash recently. I haven't tried to replicate it, but it involved adding a bookmark to a planet from the nav. panel, then going to the system map and looking at 'manage bookmarks' tab of the bookmarks section. A second later my game just closed. Crash report submitted though.

Last edited:
CMDR's hems303 and hems762 (2 accounts single player)
Odyssey launched from FDev launcher, PC, PC specs in sig below, CTD's occuring Post both Updates 7 and 8
CTD on entering the Galaxy map or on hitting exit Galaxy Map once route has been plotted.
This mainly in concourse but twice in ship, so assume NOT location specific.
(Lately I have been accessing the Galmap proportionally more in concourse than sat in cockpit) o7

• CMDR Zantetzou
  • Odyssey
  • 2 crashes in thargoid structure, first crash seemed random after sitting in the main chamber for a time then attemping to leave, as interior doors open CTD, 2nd crash was in same structure when i crashed into a scavanger that was on patrol

CMDR YlooC
PC / Steam / Oddysey & Horizons
Today CTD in Oddy while in the ship flying - boost , slowdown and crash.
After this, not able to run the ED in Oddy and in Horizons as well. After "Play" in launcher , black screen , and game freezes.
Task manager showing alot of processes "Nvidia share" , and "Nvidia container". Low resolution when hitting "ctrl+alt+del" - a low resolution screen.

Last edited:
CMDR Sotth
PC / FDev / Oddysey
Many crashes of the game to the desktop Guardian Constructs:
system Synuefe ZL-J d10-109
planet Synuefe ZL-J d10-109 E 3

Departures to the desktop occur when Guardian Constructs:
  • movement in the SRV
  • movement of the character with his feet
  • in the ship when entering the game in the Guardian Constructs.

Last edited:
Commander Michael Rhodes here:
My CTDs have been almost exclusively while in FSS mode (Odyssey only) - it seemed to be more numerous when 'zooming in' to a landable planet. Nowhere near civilization - just out exploring (i.e. not near any settlements or megaships). I haven't had any since updating my graphics card driver a few days ago though. But - I have also tried:
1. Going to a single monitor
2. Putting the game in low-quality graphics settings
3. Playing in solo
4. Adjusting a graphics card setting in the registry
5. Updating graphics drivers (the most current graphics card update looks good so far)
6. Playing at a lower resolution and frame rate

CMDR Epaphus
Odyssey

Had a couple of CTDs yesterday when using the Galmap, first one I think was shorty after entering the Galmap and the other was going from galaxy view into the system view. (Slept since then 😁, will add more details on future CTDs) In all cases I upload the CTD reports for each one.

Since update 8 I have also had CTDs when I open Open Broadcaster Software, if OBS is running when EDO starts then it is fine, but if open OBS after EDO then EDO will crash within 30 seconds or so.

Thanks for this thread, Sally and FDev!
I've been experiencing crash to desktops since update 8. First, my info:
  • In game Commander Name: TrithemiusD
  • Odyssey (from Steam, if that's useful)
  • I'm on a AMD Ryzen processor with NVidia card.
My crashes were:
-Accessing the system map in solo and open mode. That's very usual. Just when browsing the Odyssey POI and selecting them, but that maybe just casual
-Last week, playing update 8 in Group mode with a friend, it suddenly crashed when we were at a settlement. We weren't on combat at that moment.
-Today it crashed just in the start menu, after launching the game for first time today. The "social" option was still disabled, and after a few seconds it crashed. I relaunched and worked fine.

I hope you can find the reason. It's being a lot of crashes!

CMDR Jayce Hird
Odyssey
Several CTD since update, always whilst in an on foot CZ. Not performing any specific activity, game typically stutters audio two or three times then blackness and crash reporter.

I've been getting sudden crashes, am doing exploration, well, heading out to colonia for the engineers, there are some patterns, it crashes usually within first 5-10 minutes of gameplay from loading in, its always on a switch of screen mode, such as opening system map, using the zoom function in fss to get the planet details, etc. oddly it will crash 2-3 times and then become stable. If I leave the game alone after loading in without touching anything for around 5-10 minutes that often stops the crashes from happening, though not always, maybe 90% reduction in crashes roughly.

In game commander name, Vernithrax
running odyssey bought from frontier store, solo mode

I have submitted the crash reports usually that come up after the crash, anyway, hope this helps :)

Top Bottom