Elite Dangerous Crime: Fines, Bounties and Notoriety

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
@sallymorganmoore

Would it be possible to make three changes to the crime system:
  1. Add a "reputation" system that helps other CMDRs tell what sort of CMDR you are (1) historically and (2) within the last 30, 60, and 90 days? This would help CMDRs tell what sort of player they're about to interact with and decide if and how they would like to interact with them.
  2. Uncap the per-faction bounty payouts? For example if someone is wanted for 100M by, say, Felicity Farseer and that bounty was scanned upon ship destruction, the CMDRs destroying the criminal should receive the full 100M payout, not just 2M of it.
  3. Cap the maximum global bounties at 1B and hold CMDRs at this threshold at notoriety 10 until they either turn themselves in or get killed by a CMDR?

EEEEEEEEk I really need to get all of the amazing feedback from this thread down. Every time I think I'm done, I'm not hehe. Thanks so much for adding these suggestions :)

EEEEEEEEk I really need to get all of the amazing feedback from this thread down. Every time I think I'm done, I'm not hehe. Thanks so much for adding these suggestions :)
Well, got persuaded to re-do my C&P suggestions thread for Odyssey. Made a new thread 'cause it's big and it'd get buried here.

Just as another note on the issue:

You really should be able to still pay off local fines even with notoriety.

Given notoriety is basically unavoidable for most Feet content, any small fine acquired say for missing the completion window of a cargo mission or a loitering fine shouldn't immediately lock you out of stations while all your notoriety for murder offenses decays.

This is especially punitive to new players who may find themselves inadvertently locked out of their mission-giver's station after just a little casual Odyssey activity. If we're stuck with notoriety as a system please consider making it apply to bounties only, not fines.

Edit:
1628287620292.png

For extra anti-immersion points, this is an anarchy faction.

As an experienced player this isn't the end of the world, I have other stuff I can be getting on with, to a new player this would be extremely confusing. It is senselessly hostile and badly in need of a rework. Notoriety is nigh-unavoidable with the undocumented changes in Update 6, and having notoriety is punitive in the most pointless terms possible (here I'm being 'punished' for having a life outside of the game).

Last edited:
Oh PHEW, so it's not just me! I've been playing ODSY since the first day of beta and never once got notoriety. Tonight I came back to the first time in the bubble since update 6, landed at a settlement and messed up my scan; ended up having to take out 3 people. Next thing I know I've now got a notoriety of 1. My first time EVER (in about 6 months of playing). So something has certainly changed since update 6.

Yeah it absolutely wasn't a thing before Update 6, official stance notwithstanding. We non-stop chain murdered literally thousands of NPCs prior to update 6, received no notoriety for it at any point. I posted some codex stats earlier in the thread. Devs probably don't want to admit they didn't know it wasn't working as intended for the last 3 months and that it got 'fixed' accidentally, though. Which I guess is understandable.

Last edited:

Given notoriety is basically unavoidable for most Feet content, any small fine acquired say for missing the completion window of a cargo mission or a loitering fine shouldn't immediately lock you out of stations while all your notoriety for murder offenses decays.

This is especially punitive to new players who may find themselves inadvertently locked out of their mission-giver's station after just a little casual Odyssey activity. If we're stuck with notoriety as a system please consider making it apply to bounties only, not fines.

Edit:
View attachment 255279

As an experienced player this isn't the end of the world, I have other stuff I can be getting on with, to a new player this would be extremely confusing. It is senselessly hostile and badly in need of a rework. Notoriety is nigh-unavoidable with the undocumented changes in Update 6, and having notoriety is punitive in the most pointless terms possible (here I'm being 'punished' for having a life outside of the game).
This is a really good point.

Fines you should just be able to pay off even with notoriety, it's a bit silly you can't.

Edit:
View attachment 255279

This ABSOLUTELY needs rectifying!! it's horrid.

Please consider pinging a CM about it.

Oh PHEW, so it's not just me! I've been playing ODSY since the first day of beta and never once got notoriety. Tonight I came back to the first time in the bubble since update 6, landed at a settlement and messed up my scan; ended up having to take out 3 people. Next thing I know I've now got a notoriety of 1. My first time EVER (in about 6 months of playing). So something has certainly changed since update 6.
Presumably it wasn’t an anarchy?

It could be anarchy faction ruled system while settlement was controlled by non-anarchy faction ... it will issue notoriety in such case, happened to me too. Notoriety si not issued only in case of settlements controlled by anarchy faction or if there are scavengers.
Just checking if that actually worked I.e. that you still don’t get notoriety in an anarchy controlled settlement. Thanks.

Why do I still have bounties for "LHS 3439 Value Party" and "LHS 3439 Vision Organisation" and they don't even show up on the Interstellar Contacts menu?
I can't pay them or hand myself in despite having a notoriety of 0. Am I doing something wrong or is it bugged again?

Edit:
View attachment 255279

It is a shame that FDEV seems hell bent of punishing it's player base rather than just letting them enjoy the game. To try and make it more clear the FDEV....
NOTORIETY ISN'T FUN!!!!!
ALL IT DOES IS FRUSTRATE THE PLAYERS AND STOPS THEM FROM ENGAGING IN THE ACTIVITIES THEY WANT TO DO!
ARE YOU ACTIVELY TRYING TO DRIVE PLAYERS AWAY?

It is a shame that FDEV seems hell bent of punishing it's player base rather than just letting them enjoy the game. To try and make it more clear the FDEV....
NOTORIETY ISN'T FUN!!!!!
ALL IT DOES IS FRUSTRATE THE PLAYERS AND STOPS THEM FROM ENGAGING IN THE ACTIVITIES THEY WANT TO DO!
ARE YOU ACTIVELY TRYING TO DRIVE PLAYERS AWAY?
There's a certain contingent of the playerbase that gets very finger-waggy and insist that people be punished for playing a video game differently to them. You can't even report bugs in C&P without one of these yahoos rocking up to be all "well don't commit crimes then".
like I don't see boot-flavoured lollipops on the commodities market here

There's a certain contingent of the playerbase that gets very finger-waggy and insist that people be punished for playing a video game differently to them. You can't even report bugs in C&P without one of these yahoos rocking up to be all "well don't commit crimes then".
Last week I was completing missions in order to mod my suits and weapons, some of the missions where illegal but in an anarchy state. I need to do these missions in order to get the mats. I managed to get up to notoriety level 5 in a very short period of time which made it pretty much impossible to fly anywhere without getting interdicted all the time by bounrty hungers.
So I just started using Apex Intersteller all the time and avoiding missions where a ship was needed, but i'm also now unfriendly with some of the local systems meaning I can't even land at the those ports. This doesn't stop those missions being offered however.
I logged off last Sunday confident that it was bugged and they would fix it by this weekend (I can only play on the weekends as I work 65 hours a week).
So I've logged in this weekend to find that despite there being a patch and multiple players complaining about exactly the same issues FDEV haven't fixed it and even though my notoriety is 0 I still can't pay any of the bounties off or hand myself in. What exactly are players suppose to do if they can't get rid of the bounties. I've tried dying multiple times and this also fix anything.

Why do I still have bounties for "LHS 3439 Value Party" and "LHS 3439 Vision Organisation" and they don't even show up on the Interstellar Contacts menu?
I can't pay them or hand myself in despite having a notoriety of 0. Am I doing something wrong or is it bugged again?

Hand them in by switching to horizons..only way

I might have found a way to clear the Bounties, I little unconventional but it worked for me.
Find a surface port that is associated with the faction you have a bounty with.
Turn off shields and just boost into the ground near the port to kill yourself.
Make sure "Wanted" is displayed on your hud.
Do this for all factoins you have bounties for that aren't appearing under Interstellar Factors.
Works even if the port is under war and is acting as a conflict zone.
Don't bother letting bounty hunters kill you as that doesn't seem to actually remove any bounties and just costs you your rebuy cost.
It's a shame we have to resort these sort of tactics but FDEV doesn't seem to be doing anything about it yet.

Well since it is called "Crime and Punishment" the obvious corollary is that if you don't want to endure the punishment, don't do the crime. Moaning about players pointing that out is rather asinine. If one wants to play as a psycopathic serial killer, fair enough - but there should be repercussions.

N.B. I am not saying that the C&P system is OK, it needs work, but going back to the old days of killing anything you want and then go pay off to become squeaky-clean again is not a good alternative.

Top Bottom