Elite Dangerous: Cyber Monday 2021 Event is LIVE

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Greetings Commanders!

Happy Monday...CYBER MONDAY no less and there's a familiar treat in store.

View attachment 277487

Swooping in to join the fleet of Black Friday offerings from last week, some absolute favourites have arrived - 'STYGIAN' paint jobs for all ships and vehicles are now LIVE as part of our Cyber Monday event.

For our Cyber Monday event we have:
  • Stygian Paint Jobs for all ships/vehicles (here until December 3rd).

As a recap to last week...

For our Black Friday event we have the following on offer until December 3rd:
  • A 50% discount on Ship Kits.
  • A 25% discount on Suit Customisation.
  • The release of Midnight Black Paint Jobs for all ships/vehicles.

FAQ:

I was really hoping for Midnight Black and Stygian customisation options for my Commander/Fleet Carrier/Weapons. Can we expect these some time?

• It was great to see how many of you wanted the Midnight Black paint jobs across as many customisation options as possible in game. Thoughts have absolutely been passed on, so never say never, they're just not something to expect during this present event period.
My Midnight Black paint jobs look more on the 'grey' side in Odyssey compared to Horizons. Is this a known issue?
  • Noted. With the new lighting systems introducted in game, we're naturally still seeing instances of mismatch on paint job colours between Horizons and Odyssey. We'll continue to take note of the main offenders and discuss tweaks as we go, to bring colour matches as close as possible where we can and when possible.
Are the development team working on addressing outstanding, high priority issues for Elite Dangerous Horizons and Odyssey, despite the release of store content?
  • Yes, 10000%. Promise.
    • We're all still working toward Update 9, targetting early December release as previously stated - so watch this space for news on that as soon as it comes in. I'm really excited actually.
    • Once again, thank you all for the conversations we have here in the forums in narrowing down harder on main offending issues.
      • We continue to be on the case, but this thread won't be a place to get answers about their progress. I'm trying to keep the feedback channels as narrow as possible, for productivity sake.
How are the team working on addressing outstanding, high priority issues for Elite Dangerous Horizons and Odyssey at the same time as making content for the store?
  • Developers focused on store content are a subset in skill all of their wonderful own. We are not taking time away from core code, for example, to bring such things to the game today.
    • We would also not expect the creatives behind store content to fix such things as core code issues either - again, subset skills - Just trying to be as transparant for you as possible with this o7

Have a fantastic day, Commanders o7!
Another week ahead.
Really was hoping for Midnight Black etc. for Fleet Carriers this time around, pretty please for next year?

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
I'm sorry Sally (and since I'm not shooting the messenger here, I really mean Frontier Developments PLC) but this is quite frankly not good enough.
No need to apologise, it's not like I put that line in there and thought "good 'nuff" or anything. I'm actually calling out the action plan there to help out a bit.

What I would expect from Frontier here is to proactively review all paint jobs that are not in line with the advertised store image/Horizons vs. how they look in Odyssey, and fix them as a matter of priority - you sell these items right now at premium prices, and I do not believe for a second that Frontier is not aware of the discrepancy between EDH/EDO in terms of how they look in each client.
I can see why you're frustrated, WE can, and people do consider them a priority but unfortunately there are also a lot of other priorities that I get a lot of "this is not good enough" messages about that need as much attention in line (all valid-tm!).
We'll do everything we can within the realms of possiblities with client updates and workload spread.

You (Frontier) can easily address this internally, by comparing Horizons/Odyssey side-by-side, without the need to rely on customer feedback by "taking note".
We're working our way through them! You don't need me to tell you how many paint jobs are in the game since it launched plus how many ships they are to get through. I hear you though.

And no, I don't care whether it's a lot of work. You broke it, you fix it, because I already paid for it.
I don't want to appear 'weak' or anything with this response and we are on it, but sadly I've got to remind you that humans do run off a limited volume of energy per day. We've got lots to do to ensure as many of you are felt as fairly treated as possible with this monsterous sized beast of a Galaxy game. Many of whom paid for that too o7

Have an otherwise wonderful afternoon.
You too! Thanks!

While we’re making demands, I’d like to be able to color my weapons and thrusters on an individual basis. I just might build a Nyan Cat ship and leave rainbow thruster trails behind me, which would increase the general happiness of the galaxy by a small but meaningful amount. Thus we would all benefit from this change.

FAQ:

I was really hoping for Midnight Black and Stygian customisation options for my Commander/Fleet Carrier/Weapons. Can we expect these some time?

• It was great to see how many of you wanted the Midnight Black paint jobs across as many customisation options as possible in game. Thoughts have absolutely been passed on, so never say never, they're just not something to expect during this present event period.

🤞 Hopefully next year.
starts saving
😁😁

My Midnight Black paint jobs look more on the 'grey' side in Odyssey compared to Horizons. Is this a known issue?
  • Noted. With the new lighting systems introducted in game, we're naturally still seeing instances of mismatch on paint job colours between Horizons and Odyssey. We'll continue to take note of the main offenders and discuss tweaks as we go, to bring colour matches as close as possible where we can and when possible.
Just wanted to say thank you for acknowledging this! I have the original Horizons pre-order package of Midnight Black paint for all the original ships plus bought a couple over the years for newer ships, and in Odyssey some have been fixed but indeed some do still look more dark grey than the original smexy, sleek true black.
Cheers! o7

It really would be nice if you add these stygian also for Cobra IV ... it belongs into "all ship", right? :D I use this ship quite often in Odyssey and some nice new paints (or even shipkit!) would be welcomed :cool:

... btw, my alt account is really gratefull for all these purple stygian paints! Thanks much! (y)

I'm sorry Sally (and since I'm not shooting the messenger here, I really mean Frontier Developments PLC) but this is quite frankly not good enough.

I loathe writing angry posts like this but it's really irritating the :poop: out of me at this stage as my patience has run out waiting in good faith (and knowing I have zero recourse to get my money back) - it's been over half a year now, well beyond what should be reasonably expected.

Have an otherwise wonderful afternoon.
I'm sorry, Obi - but neither is this good enough.
The problem is that a lot of people seem to think that "Just fix everything" is a matter of a couple of guys doing ten minutes of work to solve every problem. No matter how big or small.

It isn't.

What you fail to realize is that Odyssey and Horizons uses significantly different code paths for how lighting is rendered in the game scene. So when you ask them to make every paint job appear exactly the same in both Horizons and Odyssey, you're not talking about tweaking some lighting settings in Odyssey. You're talking about potentially having to recreate a copy of every paint job ever made specifically for Odyssey.

Now, I'm not a Frontier developer, but I do think we can agree the lighting subsystem in the Cobra engine has been given a major overhaul for Odyssey. And we do know that Cobra uses physically based rendering. Meaning that every texture in the game world tries to emulate how light hitting a surface actually works; how glossy it is, how metallic, what color light reflected off that surface would look like, etc etc. This means that you pay attention to how you set up the materials for your in game objects with regards to lighting, rather than using lighting 'tricks' to give the objects a more realistic appearance.

So when you ask for your paint jobs to appear exactly the same way in Odyssey as they do in Horizons, you're not asking for a small consideration. And your paint jobs are apparently more important than the plethora of other problems that FDev still has to solve in Odyssey.

I know how I'd rather they spend their valuable time over the next few months. Even if you "already paid for your paintjobs" and you're all out of patience.

Maybe you should read through your words one more time and see if it doesn't taste a bit heavy on the privilege, eh?

Deleted member 182079

D
The problem is that a lot of people seem to think that "Just fix everything" is a matter of a couple of guys doing ten minutes of work to solve every problem. No matter how big or small.

It isn't.

What you fail to realize is that Odyssey and Horizons uses significantly different code paths for how lighting is rendered in the game scene. So when you ask them to make every paint job appear exactly the same in both Horizons and Odyssey, you're not talking about tweaking some lighting settings in Odyssey. You're talking about potentially having to recreate a copy of every paint job ever made specifically for Odyssey.

Now, I'm not a Frontier developer, but I do think we can agree the lighting subsystem in the Cobra engine has been given a major overhaul for Odyssey. And we do know that Cobra uses physically based rendering. Meaning that every texture in the game world tries to emulate how light hitting a surface actually works; how glossy it is, how metallic, what color light reflected off that surface would look like, etc etc. This means that you pay attention to how you set up the materials for your in game objects with regards to lighting, rather than using lighting 'tricks' to give the objects a more realistic appearance.

So when you ask for your paint jobs to appear exactly the same way in Odyssey as they do in Horizons, you're not asking for a small consideration. And your paint jobs are apparently more important than the plethora of other problems that FDev still has to solve in Odyssey.

I know how I'd rather they spend their valuable time over the next few months. Even if you "already paid for your paintjobs" and you're all out of patience.

Maybe you should read through your words one more time and see if it doesn't taste a bit heavy on the privilege, eh?
I wasn't going to reply to Sally's response (which was fair and which I appreciated, although I could've rebutted some of her responses perhaps, in the end I didn't think it was worth doing so I left it at that), but since you felt the need to post the above ...

When you pay a company a lot of money (and as I said, I spent about 500 Euros on cosmetics alone, not to mention ED, Horizons and EDO at full-fat prices, so we're not talking about a couple skins worth a fiver or so) you expect a product that works as advertised, and it absolutely did, until Frontier decided to change their render engine, and they went about it in a very poor way - why didn't they check the implications of doing so on their cosmetics before they released the game? Those cosmetics are a revenue stream for them so I just don't get why they just went ahead with it like they did. And it's not just "my" paintjob, it's a matter of principle here - Frontier are selling items in their store to millions of people knowing very well that they're not in line with how they're advertised. You think that's ok? If I ordered a med-rare steak, and got a well-done one instead, I'd send it back straightaway. Makes sense no?

This is not the first time I brought this up by the way, which is why the tone of my post is a lot less polite than it would normally have been. And honestly, Frontier don't even have to fix them if they provided an alternative solution - in the form of refunds for faulty items (by that I mean cash, not a worthless parallel currency with which I can only use to buy more faulty cosmetics that I don't want, but there you see the benefits of Arx first hand, for FDev at least - I bought Arx, not skins, technically speaking), but since they won't I can only vent here. I know full well it's kind of pointless and nothing will really change, but it's all I got left so may as well.

Frontier is not my company, I'm not a "fan" or "supporter" of them, I simply purchased their product (or rather a licence to play it) nothing more nothing less. Because they make pigs ears out of their product for whatever reason isn't, and shouldn't be, my problem. They received my money, I expect the agreed service in return when I made the payment. I understand that things can break now and then, in that case a swift remediation of the same is fine. Six months is not what I would call "swift" though, and some may never get fixed at this rate.

The lesson learned is "cut your losses and don't spend money on cosmetic items in games because they can change at a moments notice" and I have learned it, yes. I still have the right to call them out on it though, because they have and will keep my money. And they'll take the money of other customers who won't know until they see the skins in-game, and this stuff simply triggers me from an ethical viewpoint. Why other customers like yourself feel the need to defend a PLC on such practices is however a good example of why they keep getting away with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
No need to apologise, it's not like I put that line in there and thought "good 'nuff" or anything. I'm actually calling out the action plan there to help out a bit.

I can see why you're frustrated, WE can, and people do consider them a priority but unfortunately there are also a lot of other priorities that I get a lot of "this is not good enough" messages about that need as much attention in line (all valid-tm!).
We'll do everything we can within the realms of possiblities with client updates and workload spread.

We're working our way through them! You don't need me to tell you how many paint jobs are in the game since it launched plus how many ships they are to get through. I hear you though.

I don't want to appear 'weak' or anything with this response and we are on it, but sadly I've got to remind you that humans do run off a limited volume of energy per day. We've got lots to do to ensure as many of you are felt as fairly treated as possible with this monsterous sized beast of a Galaxy game. Many of whom paid for that too o7

You too! Thanks!

I kinda feel like I should keep my nose out of this. :) But is there a reason the Frontier Store for ship paintjobs doesn't have a message saying "Image might not match delivered product in Odyssey" or something to that effect?

Sure it's only a "stopgap", but it's one that seems entirely reasonable, and very considerate to the end user / buyer.

It isn't only the PJs that are 'off' in EDO - Bobbleheads, decals and string lights all come to mind too. All of them being purchased either with old-fasioned cash or with modern Arx (also purchased for cash as well as earned in-game). Yes, the rendering in EDO differs to EDH, but the effects would have been incredibly visible during the development of EDO, surely?

Deleted member 182079

D
It isn't only the PJs that are 'off' in EDO - Bobbleheads, decals and string lights all come to mind too. All of them being purchased either with old-fasioned cash or with modern Arx (also purchased for cash as well as earned in-game). Yes, the rendering in EDO differs to EDH, but the effects would have been incredibly visible during the development of EDO, surely?
I focused on paintjobs because I wanted to keep my complaint as focused as possible and 'pick your battles' and all that.. but yes, absolutely - the bobbleheads are off (my personal favourite being the chrome Coriolis wireframe one, which is no longer chrome but grey - it's not the only one either - I don't know how exactly PBR works but I guess somewhere you have to define a"material" property being Chrome maybe? And that wasn't done... if I'm oversimplifying this anyone feel free to explain better), not to mention ship kits that affect actual gameplay by preventing firing of hard points if a kit part is in the firing arc. Broken for months with no ETA in sight.

Could very well be "first we get the lighting, rendering and related performance issues resolved and then we fix the paintjobs and dash decorations"
Otherwise you're shooting at a moving target and redoing the work each time you adjust how the lighting and shaders interact.

Deleted member 182079

D
Could very well be "first we get the lighting, rendering and related performance issues resolved and then we fix the paintjobs and dash decorations"
Otherwise you're shooting at a moving target and redoing the work each time you adjust how the lighting and shaders interact.
Since this is a thread about the Stygian PJs it's worth pointing out that those were fixed pretty early on (to my own surprise as they wouldn't go on sale for quite some time) unlike a ton of others - so this doesn't seem to be an issue at all here.

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Commanders.
I can absolutely see that this thread has ignited a lot of discussion over comparison issues between Horizons and Odyssey cosmetics.
Just a blanket comment to say I'm having discussions on the situation. I'll do my best to keep people as up to date on progress as always but we are gradually working through the backlog of visual differences as we go. Can only thank you again for your patience of course.

Commanders.
I can absolutely see that this thread has ignited a lot of discussion over comparison issues between Horizons and Odyssey cosmetics.
Just a blanket comment to say I'm having discussions on the situation. I'll do my best to keep people as up to date on progress as always but we are gradually working through the backlog of visual differences as we go. Can only thank you again for your patience of course.
At the very least, since Horizons and Odyssey behave differently could you have a toggle that changes the store picture to Odyssey lighting / Horizons lighting? At least then you can see what they 'really' look like.

It isn't.

Fair enough, however a responsible and professional company would make all of these considerations before they decide that a product is ready for release. These are not random unforeseen bugs.

The irony there is after playing in Odyssey for the last few months, I had to nip back into Horizons for some matierals gathering, and honestly... my Thargoid string lights lit up my cockpit like Vegas during a power surge.

As to the paint jobs, I've gotten more or less used to them at this point. The exceptions to me seem to be any iridescent paint jobs like the Azure, or metallic ones like chrome, which now look just flat and dull. I'd love those fixed, but then I remember the current to-do list in Odyssey and while I still want them fixed (@ObiW is right, they cost money after all) I'd rather several (dozen) other things were fixed first like teeny landing pad HUDs, floating blips on the ground radar, and the @#$@# bookmarking system which decides that EVERYTHING I bookmark is a system and not a settlement, body, or port.

That said - in terms of this sale... I thought all ship kits were 50% off? How come the raider ones are still full whack?!?!?!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom