Elite dangerous Episodes...I want your feedback!!

Ok...I'll make this short and sweet, I've had a bash at making an elite dangerous video and if well received I may make some more. These will reflect my experience with my first 50 days on the game (currently on my 52nd day so still learning everyday) and hopefully have some kind of story element to it.

Please take a look and let me know what you think, it would be most appreciated. Fly safe o7

[video=youtube_share;vzsLb9Y41y4]https://youtu.be/vzsLb9Y41y4[/video]

Very nice, have some rep. You might want to change the video settings so that it can be played back from other sites, ATM it can only be watched directly from YT.

You know what? ... I really REALLY liked that!

You've got some great camera angles and scene compositions there (I especially like the shot of the SRV at 2:38), really compelling stuff when paired with that stirring soundtrack.

The only criticism suggestion I would make is that I felt like it needed some commentary (or at least might in the future when you start trying to tell more of a story). If you have one of those voices that can do those grand "once in a lifetime comes a movie that will change your life forever bla bla" vibes to it then go for it. If, like the rest of us, you absolutely despise the sound of your own voice, then you could do it with sub-titles (have you seen Isinona's videos and the way he uses sub-titles to tell a story).

Anyway, good work and I'm subscribed to this thread now so hopefully there'll be more in the future!

o7

Wow cheers Alec...thanks for the feedback!

The editing is a doddle, the hard part is actually mastering the free-cam to get the right shots...that and fiddling with the audio to get the right levels/effects etc.

Im a northern chap so i dont exactly have one of those "epic" voices lol, i get what you mean though, a narration would really bring out the story elements and provide further direction for the action. I may lean towards the subtitle side and see how that goes. Thanks once again.

Epic. Enjoyed this a lot. Music was perfect, not sure if you use or are aware of docking computer if you want good docking shots without the worry of control. Oh and not everyone in space will be Queens English so nowt wrang with a bit o northern bonny lad, be an interesting experiment me thinks.

Aye I'm aware of the auto dock, cheers for reminding me. It wasn't too tricky to get the landing shots but it will be much easier if I use one that's for sure!

Must admit I had a massive smile on my face when I heard the Yorkshire lass flight controller in one of the orbital docks...made my day!

Thanks for watching it buddy!

Wow, just wow!!!!
I love the music you've used, not that screaming hardcore stuff but dramatic and royal.
Great composition, a small story in itself.
Kudos to you and I'm looking forward to your next video!!!!

o7

Thanks cmdr o7.

Ive always loved the epic, dramatic music, not to say that I dont have other musical tastes too....I just dont think head banging hardcore stuff is suited for this type of game. Maybe Gears of war...but not this.

This first episode was meant to show a new arrivals first trip into this area of the galaxy, a new recruit ready for joining the ranks of the Elite dangerous playerbase by travelling to the bakers prospect enrolment centre and getting hold of his/her first sidewinder.

The timeframe for each release could be 1 per week but im hoping to push to around 2...time,wife and kids permitting lol.

Im going to cover everything ive done so far in ED...which is to say quite a lot, so theres plenty of content to keep me going. I personally cant wait to film and edit the capital ship battles...thats gonna be amazing, i can feel it!

I absolutely love this, Commander! Fantastic work. What platform did you do your editing on? Is that the XBox Upload Studio?

Very nice piece of work. Well put together and flowed nicely. Good camera work too. I'm looking forward to seeing further episodes too.

I absolutely love this, Commander! Fantastic work. What platform did you do your editing on? Is that the XBox Upload Studio?
Thanks man!!

Nah xbox doesnt have the tools needed for all the sound editing and fade ins and fade outs...its really really basic as far as editing goes. I recorded it all on xbox, used the xbox app to download onto my PC and then edited it from there.

What I use is Da Vinci Resolve 12.5 its difficult to use first of all but after a day of youtube tutorials youll be well away and editing in no time...and its free too!! Yeah sure you can buy the full package for around £700+ but thats only if you want to get really in depth with colour corrections and extra high level features. Apparently its one that some hollywood top dogs use (so the website states)...the only problem is that its resource hungry...if youve got a laptop then its gonna struggle to run it. My desktop isnt anything fancy and it stutters from time to time when its running Da Vinci but its gets the job done. o7

Xbox editing software just wouldnt cut it...for example, say you need just the audio for "frame shift drive activating" but you want to overlay that with another clip of your ship doing a fly-by...xbox just doesnt have the capabilities to do that. With this software though its just a case of grabbing your clip, removing the visual part and then bam...youre left with the audio to do as you please. Thats what i did for the vocal parts of the vid as well as the landing blips and so on.

Hope this helps.

Very nice piece of work. Well put together and flowed nicely. Good camera work too. I'm looking forward to seeing further episodes too.

Thanks man...glad you enjoyed it. Took me a little while to get it to a place where i was totally happy with it...then again saying that as i watch it back im still critisizing it and wanting to change a few minor things lol..but still...if you lot enjoyed it...then im happy.

Thanks man...glad you enjoyed it. Took me a little while to get it to a place where i was totally happy with it...then again saying that as i watch it back im still critisizing it and wanting to change a few minor things lol..but still...if you lot enjoyed it...then im happy.

I know just what you mean. In the few videos I've done, I'm always looking at them after, thinking of what I could have done differently.

Top Bottom