Elite:Dangerous for Linux?

Hey,

I'd like to start YET ANOTHER thread asking.. Who here has already pledged for Elite: Dangerous, and would consider upping their pledge on the chances there'll be a Linux version? (I fall into this category.)

Who here would actually *considering* pleding if there was a chance of someday being a Linux version of Elite: Dangerous?

So far, That Other Space Sim(tm) (aka Star Citizen) has at least 20% of their communiting voting for a Linux version as their "stretch goal"

(http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/poll-additional-stretch-goals/)

TL;DR? 20% want Linux, 8% Want a mac version.

I realize that Windows would be the lion's share of the sales of Frontier:Dangerous, but I'd certainly say it'd be worth it to *consider* a Linux version at *some* point. That'd certainly be enough for me to increase my pledge.

If you look at the Humble Indie Bundle's sales numbers, you can see that the Linux gamer market is worth at LEAST as much as the Mac gamer market, if not more so.

(http://cheesetalks.twolofbees.com/humble/) -- humblebundle sales statistics by OS.

It's for certain Linux gamers would appreciate Elite: Dangerous more than Mac gamers would. Anyone gaming under Linux is most likely a giant science fiction fan to begin with, and would appreciate the deep technical nature of Elite:Dangerous.

Anyway, I didn't see a thread asking specifically about the odds. I thought I'd make one.

Linux isn't written by a company. If we, the players, don't ask about it, we'll never ever see it.

There's a Linux thread in every game forum these days, this isn't the only Linux thread on frontier.co.uk.

^_^
Cheers,
-m

Last edited:
Its answered in the FAQ already:

Link here

"Yes. It would be great. The PC version comes first though, and then we will look at the demand for other platforms. If the game exceeds its target, then there will be scope to increase the number of platforms. We will discuss with the backers in the design discussion forum, and how to address the issues that will arise, but I have every hope that we will cover some or all of these platforms."

Given the direction Win8 is taking and the fact that Valve and several other publishers are currently driving towards Linux, I'd say YES to any possibility of E:D going that way as well.

>_<

oh yea. After doing some more digging, I stand corrected. This is addressed in a few places.

Well I guess I'm off to pledge more then.

^_^

Last edited:
If Elite Dangerous could come Linux it will be a good thing. Linux is going to be more and more popular for games.
I vote for Elite Dangerous on Linux !

Another person interested in a Linux version here! Would be awesome if the game was ported..and would carry on the tradition of Elite being on multiple platforms (anyone remember the MSX version?)..or at least that's my excuse.

TBH, didn't even realise that there was a sequel until a few days ago..but I'll put some money in and hope that it at least works well in Wine.

*has hazy memories of cooing over the BBC Micro version*

Yes for sure. The only reason I'm still on windows are games. Desktop management, screen space utilization, and window functions have plummited since Windows 7 arrived, and I'm betting it won't get any better with Windows 8. It was *decent* (but not great) with Windows XP, but you had to use 3rd party software to get it - with Windows 7 that route has been shut down by Microsoft. With Linux, this stuff is native to the OS and active when you boot it up for the first time - great for being productive. Windows 7 have continued to work against me so much that I don't do any mod work at all anymore. I've tried getting used to it, but I can't.

So yeah, I'd very much like to see them support Linux. A game like this isn't very much about the visuals (for me) as it is long time exploration. So if OpenGL API was chosen over DirectX, I don't think I would loose out on much visually (in terms of supported visual features).

I too would like to see a Linux version of this game.

I only just found about this Kickstarter through someone saying that apparently Linux gamers were not being as vocal about wanting support. I have got quite fed up with asking for Linux support as there is a wealth of Linux committed kickstarters. So this is where my money as been going. Not being vocal does not mean that I am not interested, I just don't have the time to e-mail every interesting company on Kickstarter. If there was a poll somewhere that would be useful.

The thing about operating systems like Windows or Mac. Regardless of if they are "better" or not; is that it is no longer a sustainable form of development. There are so many parties invested in computer operating systems, all with different requirements and wishing for their own input. It is no longer feasible to have one company say what is right and wrong on a platform. And one company doing all the work and holding all the keys/code, and having all the responsibility; what happened if Microsoft or Apple suddenly went bankrupt? They would have to be artificially propped up by governments, because so many people use their operating systems. (I actually think that any company that goes bankrupt/closes or when it's products are no longer making money should be forced to open source their code - especially games, it's sad for the human race to have so many wasted man hours be lost into a legal vacuum for eternity). Finally there is no longer a huge amount of cash companies can throw around and waste on their IT infrastructure.

Co-operating and sharing is a much healthier form of development.

FD is an experienced software games development house, so I am thinking it will get to Linux if the "guesstimated" profits are very significantly higher than the estimated costs of the port. The amount that is determined to be will also prioritize when it is done in relation to many other possible ports.

Don't panic Linux users I am sure DB is keen to get to Linux, but he is bound to take into account the estimated financial situation of the port.

I am guessing it will be done though within a year or two after release. That is my guess.

I didn't pledge because there was no Linux version planned. I won't fund a product I can't use.

I would not have pledged had Linux been a stretch goal, either, unless that stretch goal had already been reached. This is because I'd still have to pay for a product that might be useless to me, if the funding succeeded but the stretch goal was not reached.

The platform matters greatly. I don't own a copy of Windows, and if I bought one I doubt my PC meets the minimum hardware spec for the versions currently on sale.

While I personally have nothing against Linux, I cannot fathom what kind of person plays games on it. The OS simply isnt for gaming. To expect DB to not only create for Windows, but two other OSes, is a bit silly in my opinion, ESPECIALLY when it is such a small crowd. I personally don't know a single person in real life who uses, or has ever used Linux.

I would love to see DB develop a Linux version in the future, but I really don't under stand all the Linuxophiles who think that DB should have promised a Linux version. Linux is JUST NOW getting games, after ... I don't know how many years its finally getting a sizable library of 3rd party titles. (By that I mean Indie.) I can't think of a single title in recent memory that was developed exclusively for Linux.

So why would DB promise something like that? I don't get it.

Definitely would like to see a linux version for many of the reasons stated above!

Although Linux has traditionally been a smaller amount of users, this is actually changing very rapidly in the last few years. Thanks to some of the decisions by the larger OS manufacturers, people have decided to try other alternative operating systems that they've heard about. I fail to understand why you are against a game being made for Linux? There are some very well made games available for Linux; most folks never hear of them because they are not using Linux.

I pledged even though I am a Linux user, and have no interest in using any commercial OS to run it. I hope there will be a Linux version, but that's not the reason I pledged. I've waited 20+ years for a new version of Elite. I can wait a few more if I must.

I have a few older window/mac based machines that I can try the game out on, but I'd never connect them to the net for many reasons.

The real trick to marketing in this anti-linux world is to just not call it linux. ie: Ubuntu and Android :)

Linux is catching the attention of some major players in the gaming industry in the last few months, so get used to hearing about it in the future. :)

Last edited:
While I personally have nothing against Linux, I cannot fathom what kind of person plays games on it. The OS simply isnt for gaming. To expect DB to not only create for Windows, but two other OSes, is a bit silly in my opinion, ESPECIALLY when it is such a small crowd. I personally don't know a single person in real life who uses, or has ever used Linux.

Who uses a PC for games? Honestly, that's what consoles are for.

To say the OS isn't for gaming is rather bold, especially since you apparently haven't even seen it. Valve has ported Steam to Linux, and does the majority of its games development on Linux before porting their final product to Windows for release. Strike you as odd? It shouldn't.

Yes, but have you actually looked at the lineup for Valve's Linux? Tell me, would you like to play any of those games? I see mostly indie titles, which isn't a bad thing, but its not going to make me switch to Linux.

Who uses a PC for games? Honestly, that's what consoles are for.

I may not know much about Linux, but you clearly have no idea about PC. :D

Day Z, every flight simulator ever made, Star Craft 2, World of Warcraft, Planetside 2, Mount and Blade, X3, etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.

Are all extremely successful PC only titles. None of which work on Linux, or consoles.

My point is, PC gaming is a rather huge audience in comparison to Linux. Does it dwarf console gaming? No, but Elite will make a substantial amount of money before it moves to consoles. The same can't be said if they had done a Linux only release. Based on a Valve user survey a whopping 1.51% out of 40 million users use some form of Linux. (Well, all those who participated in the survey.)

40 million people around the world use Valve's Steam, which is a PC GAMING program.

No offence, but people DO use Pc's for gaming. So I have to disagree with you on that statement.

My entire point through all of this, is that Linux is not a gaming platform. It may be one day, but right now? Nope. I do hope Elite gets released on as many platforms as humanly possible however. It really deserves a place at the absolute top of the gaming pyramid.

No offence, but people DO use Pc's for gaming. So I have to disagree with you on that statement.

My entire point through all of this, is that Linux is not a gaming platform. It may be one day, but right now? Nope. I do hope Elite gets released on as many platforms as humanly possible however. It really deserves a place at the absolute top of the gaming pyramid.

I see my sarcasm was utterly lost on you, then. Never mind. Try harder next time.

Linux is a perfectly valid gaming platform. Certainly as valid as Mac OS X. You're going to see more titles for it in the near future, too.

Before you start shouting about games for Window... one of those you mention is X3. Do you have a copy? If so, look me up in the credits. How many times can you find me? (-:

Oh yes, and it's available for Linux.

I wasn't trying to be rude.

I see my sarcasm was utterly lost on you, then. Never mind. Try harder next time.

Nah. I don't think we have anything else to talk about. Especially with manners like this. Have a good one. :D

I'm mainly a Windows user, but I prefer a Linux version of the game more than a Mac one, personally I hate all the Apple products and their way in the industry. I think all the closed platforms are a step back in too many points.

Oolite runs on Windows, Mac and Linux. Being a long time member of the Oolite community, I can say that a large proportion of the community uses Linux, including several OXP developers.

I too am hoping for a Linux release and hopefully not years after the Windows version. Ironically it may be a Linux console "steambox" from valve that sees it, imagine that !

I have Linux, Windows and Mac all on the same machine, as they say... Two's company but three's a crowd ! :D

Ryan

Yeah, now that Valve has started releasing Steam titles for Linux, I don't think a Linux port of Elite: Dangerous would be too far off. Linux gaming is on the rise! (Granted, I'm a Windows user primarily but I dabble in various Linux OSes out of curosity - Mostly on my Raspberry Pi so I don't accidentally brick my good computer, though!)

Top Bottom