Elite Dangerous: FSD Reward Module for Phase 2 Colonia Bridge Community Goal | Experimental Effects Revised

Unsolicited recommendation time!

If CGs continue to award "double engineered" modules, they should have a different naming convention and "hide" the engineering. This would keep things consistent within menus and within the lore, result in less player confusion, and get rid of the cumbersome term "double engineered" which is just plain silly.

For example, instead of getting a "1f Multicannon" that has grade 5 Rapid Fire and grade 5 High Capacity on it we get the SAME THING but it is called "1f Experimental Multicannon" OR if someone there can put forth a few minutes of effort to think of a more specific name it is called "1f Shredder Multicannon" and gets the (Experimental) tag.

In this case the actual engineering that has been applied to the module is NOT VISIB LE TO THE COMMANDERS. For ease of item creation it is there, we just cant see it OR change it. A quick blurb in the codex, and to each CG that awards these modules can explain that (Experimental) weapons are highly tuned and fragile and no engineer will try to modify them further.

I believe this solution fixes the lore and menu inconsistencies with item reward engineering, allows the developers to mix and match engineering on stuff without the players seeing exactly how (Maybe it has THREE things added but two of them are only grade2?), is less confusing for players down the road, and keeps things relatively simple to do for the codemonkeys once a new UI template is developed.

Greetings Commanders.

Following very recent discussions had around modification issues with the latest Community Goal FSD reward (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...mentals-follow-up.593785/page-22#post-9613457), I'm here to share the following update on developments since issues arose and imminent action to follow this evening:

FSD modules from the Phase 2 Colonia Bridge Community Goal will allow Experimental Effects to be applied to them for both Odyssey & Horizons Commanders.​

The deployment to enable this action comes with two caveats:
  • Commanders currently online will need to log out to the main menu and back in again before a sudden game client error that will appear (reported as a station services server error) goes away, once this deployment has been made.
  • Commanders who use engineering to apply a Special Effect will see in their UI that their level 5 double-engineered module gets reset down to level 1 or 2 of a normal engineering mod.
    • This is a cosmetic issue and goes away when you relog to the main menu again for the game to read changes in the server's database.
  • Please be careful to not try to use normal engineering on your frame shift drives, as you risk permanently losing their unique nature.

On hand to read continued thoughts and feedback.
Thank you all for the conversation previously on the matter and once again, apologies for frustration and inconveniences caused.

o7 Commanders.

Thank you and the team for all the efforts needed to get this through, that was much quicker than i expected

One clarification please: the fix is valid only for the FSD rewards from the Phase2 of Colonia Bridge, right?
The Seekers from the Attempt to capture Grom (CG from October 2nd-9th) will stay "broken", correct? (they also throw an error when trying to apply experimental effects)

Thank you for your awesome work making this bridge to the devs happen. I didn't even earn one of those FSDs but think it was an important step that the higher-ups understood and decided to change the decision into what the player base expected from the CG. It was one of the fastest ones ever, with folks flocking to Colonia/Alcor and even returning from hiatus just for that one.

Now the new age of whining about supposed whiners can get underway for about a week.

Yeah. Final decision. I really don't wanna go back to yesterday and this morning thanks, haha.......
♥️Thanks for keeping us up to date Sally, and all the work you do for us. :)
I think you both need a raise

Edit: All need a raise, I dont even think the Mods get paid

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
One clarification please: the fix is valid only for the FSD rewards from the Phase2 of Colonia Bridge, right?
The Seekers from the Attempt to capture Grom (CG from October 2nd-9th) will stay "broken", correct? (they also throw an error when trying to apply experimental effects)
I'll double check first thing in the morning, Northpin.

Sally, thank you and all of your co-workers very much for reconsidering your decision, even if it was taken long ago.
Please, also consider having more people for playtesting to check the real effects for all in-game changes and decisions taken.
Don't forget that us, the community, also want to help you on considering what's the best for the game.

Greetings Commanders.

Following very recent discussions had around modification issues with the latest Community Goal FSD reward (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...mentals-follow-up.593785/page-22#post-9613457), I'm here to share the following update on developments since issues arose and imminent action to follow this evening:

FSD modules from the Phase 2 Colonia Bridge Community Goal will allow Experimental Effects to be applied to them for both Odyssey & Horizons Commanders.​

The deployment to enable this action comes with two caveats:
  • Commanders currently online will need to log out to the main menu and back in again before a sudden game client error that will appear (reported as a station services server error) goes away, once this deployment has been made.
  • Commanders who use engineering to apply a Special Effect will see in their UI that their level 5 double-engineered module gets reset down to level 1 or 2 of a normal engineering mod.
    • This is a cosmetic issue and goes away when you relog to the main menu again for the game to read changes in the server's database.
  • Please be careful to not try to use normal engineering on your frame shift drives, as you risk permanently losing their unique nature.

On hand to read continued thoughts and feedback.
Thank you all for the conversation previously on the matter and once again, apologies for frustration and inconveniences caused.

o7 Commanders.
From a PR perspective, this is probably the right choice. Kudos to you and the dev team.

Can we assume that future modules will have it clearly stated whether or not they will allow other experimentals allowed? Someone else suggested what I thought was a very elegant solution; have the secondary engineering effect coded in as the experimental. That way, if they want to add a new experimental, it'll replace the old one.

That would be the clearest way I can think of to convey exactly what's happening.

Having a legitimate concern is not whining. Don't just take what is offered............
sWsCp1p.jpg

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
From a PR perspective, this is probably the right choice. Kudos to you and the dev team.
Definitely from a Player perspective. PR perspective didn't even factor into this.

Can we assume that future modules will have it clearly stated whether or not they will allow other experimentals allowed?
Yep.

2? 3?

Yes, thic epic poop show was about additional 2-3 years for builds, which now can have let's say more than 80 range

Now community can make next show for example more nebulas models :)
2/3 lys!

I’m outta this thread, I’m embarrassed to be here.

Top Bottom