Community Event / Creation 'Elite Dangerous: GR' animated short... kind of

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
That's pretty cool, but why is the character "shaking" so much during the fall and what's with the "smoke"? (Just something I noticed).

Looking forward to Episode 1! :)

The Shaking is a result of how drag affects the body when falling. I think I went a bit overboard in an attempt to compensate for the fact that the model does not have cloth dynamics and how the camera is unrealistically steady during the drop.

The smoke[where is it]... Okay, in hindsight I should have probably turned it down a whole lot more or done away with it altogether but I just liked it too much. It's a 'cartoony' method of selling speed.

Well, when you enter any station while you have a canopy breach, it resets the timer; all agricultural, wealthy, and tourism stations have open air plants; when zooming in on any of the buildings, none of them seem to have airlocks, and that the wiki explains that the barrier at the access corridor keeps the air in.
I'm not going to lie, I really didn't want to do the math to determine what it looks like when someone decides to jump from one end of a station to the other. I just went with what I felt looked cool[noob].

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
As far as I remember from the lore there is atmosphere inside the dock. The gravity is 0.1 G IIRC.

It does look cool indeed Gaia! Just cut down on the smoke :D

Well, when you enter any station while you have a canopy breach, it resets the timer; all agricultural, wealthy, and tourism stations have open air plants; when zooming in on any of the buildings, none of them seem to have airlocks, and that the wiki explains that the barrier at the access corridor keeps the air in.

Well, consider me educated! Thanks.

I'm not going to lie, I really didn't want to do the math to determine what it looks like when someone decides to jump from one end of a station to the other. I just went with what I felt looked cool[noob].

Yes, it does looks cool.

As for the math...

One thing to keep in mind is that the station rotates to simulate gravity, and when you jump, you appear to travel anti-spinward from the perspective of someone standing on the station itself. This is something I really hope Frontier simulates when they eventually do Elite Feet, because it’s something spacers would need to adapt to. To actually perform the feat above, jumping from one side of the cylinder to a target on the far side, your character would need to aim spinward of their target, which IMO is a much more impressive feat. ;)

edit: I did the math while on lunch, and if the numbers I pulled off the wiki are correct, the “ground” of the docking bay is moving at about 130 km/h. Of course, they also indicate that surface gravity should be 0.258 g, as opposed to 0.1 g. Make of it what you will. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom