Elite Dangerous History - Part 1, The Kickstarter.

Folks,

I've been through copious notes, videos and references I made during the lifetime of ED. I thought I'd document it as a bit of history now it's fading into the past... particularly the early stuff. Here's the first one, on the kickstarter of 2012-2013. Were you there? :)

Mods, feel free to move if in the wrong place, didn't seem to have a category really.

Youtube link if your cookies aren't happy.

Cheers,

Drew.

Last edited:
Could've, should've. Back then I stopped reading at "Elite, but as an MMO", overlooking the "but with an offline mode". When Horizons was announced (and the LEP was still available) I checked again, this time stopping at "we scrapped offline" before getting to "but there is Solo mode". 😭

Meta lore... nice. (y)
I'm not a backer, but I did my research and bought in in early 2015 when I saw the game on Steam.
Cheers.

Last edited:
I was there. Exiting times.

I'm assuming you have put a picture or youtube link in your post, but all I see is a blank space between your post and "Cheers". Anybody else not seeing the important bit ?

I was there. Exiting times.

I'm assuming you have put a picture or youtube link in your post, but all I see is a blank space between your post and "Cheers". Anybody else not seeing the important bit ?
Yep, same here.

Edit: As for Kickstarter, I was not here. I was not aware of the existence of ED until shortly before Horizons went on pre-order.

Last edited:
Any chance you can C&P the web address please. those of us who are paranoid about 'Essential Cookies Only' are not getting the link.

I've been through copious notes, videos and references I made during the lifetime of ED.

yet you still haven't learnt to post on frontier's forum! ;) 🤭

temp.png

Something to do with cookies apparently.

that's right. expanding on my pun above ...

the forum silently changed a while ago so that users won't see embedded videos unless they show their pants and submit to some end user agreement. so you have 2 options:

• limit your audience to suckers that mindlessly won't hesitate to agree to anything
  • avoid the incorporated post editor and post video links as simple urls. they will be embedded anyway but a working link will be added for everybody else (*)

hint: you may enable/disable the editor at will just clicking on the [] button.

choose wisely ;-)

(*) which is probably result of incompetence more than accessibility concerns, so this workaround might break at any point.

Folks,

I've been through copious notes, videos and references I made during the lifetime of ED. I thought I'd document it as a bit of history now it's fading into the past... particularly the early stuff. Here's the first one, on the kickstarter of 2012-2013. Were you there? :)

Mods, feel free to move if in the wrong place, didn't seem to have a category really.

Youtube link if your cookies aren't happy.

Cheers,

Drew.

I wasn't just there, in your question, which is referring to the kickstarter, I was HERE, on this forum when David Walsh announced the kickstarter. The true moment in Elite Dangerous history it started, yet always seems to be forgotten. It doesn't help that the thread that proves this, has been moved to a restricted section of the forum, only viewable by moderators and above. Some of us have been asking Frontier to return this thread to a section where we can all see it, but for now you'll have to make do with a wayback machine link ...

So yes, I was there, and I was HERE, at the start.

But I can make a claim one better than being on the forum when it was announced. A bit of Elite Dangerous history everyone has missed. I, yes me specifically, I was pushing Frontier to make Elite IV a year before the kickstarter. It started when a gaming magazine reported that The Outsider had been cancelled, a curious fact that Frontier still have yet to officially announce. I grew impatient waiting for news on Elite IV as the rumour back then was that Elite IV would begin development after The Outsider.

Frontier had not long published Kinectimals, and I asked for news on Elite IV. I told Frontier to "stop making fluffly kids games, and make the game everyone wants". I got this reply from Michael Brookes: "We'll announce something when we have something to announce". I told them they did have something to announce, the cancellation of The Outsider.

A year goes by and one night in November 2012, I was refreshing the forum when a post by David Walsh pops up "We'll have something to announce in an hour", and an hour later, the thread I linked to via the wayback machine popped up.

I .... me specifically ... I had a role to play in Frontier launching the kickstarter, which by their own words was "to gauge interest".

No-one ever remembers that that's what happened. But I do.

EDIT: This is going to be the last time I ever tell this story. In future I will just say "I have been here a while."

Last edited:
Top Bottom