ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Horizons for PS4

This confirms that the PS4 version will launch with update 2.3 (maybe also 2.4).

Presumably with 2.4 as well, he says "we’re bringing the full game with everything in our ‘Horizons’ season of expansions included." Unless they go all 3.0/2.4 for a Q4 release.

Anyone wearing free Frontier t-shirts wanna comment?

Last edited:
In Elite Dangerous, every star in our night sky – the whole Milky Way – is there for you to explore how you choose.

I'm still looking Cassiopeia A. Any hints on how to find It?

Any chance that pilots will be bound purely to account rather then platform + account.
And any chance that pc + consoles will be able to fly together basically elite becoming platform agnostic?

I know quite a few people that would love this, and given that Elite doesn't really give any 'advantage' or disadvantage to console users for using controllers, pc users can use controllers, mouse/keyboard, hotas, whatnot, and sure while it can give differences in Elite it is not as insane as it would be in other games, depending naturally on fp module when it arrives yes...but even so...it would be insanely nice, maybe a new open mode? universe?

So we'd have.
Universe - aka, pc's and platforms together.
Open - platform dependant
private - as now
solo - as now.

We obviously really love VR, and Elite was one of the first and best (in my opinion!) VR games, so we're looking into it, but we've got nothing to announce today...

Lets be realistic, PS4 is not capable of delivering ED in VR. Especially at 120 fps

I don't have a PS4 but this is great news! The blog post certainly tells us a bit about what we should expect:
  • No scary aliens until late 2017, to make sure PS4 players don't miss the fun and to give them time to git gud :D
  • How similar is the PS4 API to Mac and Linux? Does it make Horizons and Elite more likely on those PC platforms? Steam machines? :S
  • When should we expect the announcement for Nintendo NX/Switch? :eek:
  • 3.0 won't land until end of 2017, probably coincides with scary aliens; this probably means the "10 year plan" only has 5 major releases in it... was that LEP really worth it for €165, considering current exchange rate and internal rate of return? :rolleyes:
  • PS4 pilots need all the help they can get - the DBX is not the best choice for a mining machine! [noob]

Sorry if this has been discussed before....

I'm thinking of getting myself a PS4 Pro, but since I own a copy of ED and Horizons on PC, am I eligible to download a PS4 copy as well? Or do I need to buy it again?
And is there graphical differences between the stock PS4 and Pro versions?

Thanks, and good luck! :)

Lets be realistic, PS4 is not capable of delivering ED in VR. Especially at 120 fps

PSVR has several modes... like render at 60fps then reproject to 120. They'd definitely go for that mode as the native 90 and 120 wouldn't work for ED's graphics.

It would be a hellish optimization job for Horizons but I think it's doable. PS4 Pro would do a much better job and you could up the textures and details significantly.

I know quite a few people that would love this, and given that Elite doesn't really give any 'advantage' or disadvantage to console users for using controllers, pc users can use controllers, mouse/keyboard, hotas, whatnot, and sure while it can give differences in Elite it is not as insane as it would be in other games, depending naturally on fp module when it arrives yes...but even so...it would be insanely nice, maybe a new open mode? universe?

You can get a Thrustmaster HOTAS for PS4! That and if they pull off PSVR support is going to make for a lot of happy facebox couch zombies.

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been discussed before....

I'm thinking of getting myself a PS4 Pro, but since I own a copy of ED and Horizons on PC, am I eligible to download a PS4 copy as well? Or do I need to buy it again?
And is there graphical differences between the stock PS4 and Pro versions?

Thanks, and good luck! :)

Hey!

You'll need to buy a copy of Elite Dangerous for PS4 separately, in much the same way if you wanted an account for Xbox One you'd have to buy it again.

Some advice to community management: it would have been better if you announced this alongside at least some info about 2.3 and 2.4. I think the majority of the existing userbase would have appreciated that more. As things are now, we have no idea when the rest of Season 2 will come, and only very vague information about what will be included in there. The original schedule has slipped, and announcing this while only hinting at Season 2 may be ending in Q2 2017 gives an impression of Frontier's focus being on doing the PS4 port now. I know that FD has separate teams working on Planet Coaster and that porting requires a smaller dedicated team too, but the message here can be interpreted several ways, which is not a good thing for community management.

I hope tonight's newsletter will include at least something on 2.3. If nothing else, then confirmation that it's planned for Q1 2017 and 2.4 for Q2 2017. Having existing players guess about Frontier's plans is also not the best idea for CM.

Also, personally I own a PS4, but I'm not planning on getting the game for it. The only port I would switch to from the Windows build would be a Linux one. It's good to open up the game for another new platform, as the game looks like it has done well enough on the XBox that porting it to PS4 too will bring in more revenue than the costs of doing the port and supporting it later are.

Last edited:
So either 3.0 will come with the PS4 release, i.e. in Q2/17, in this case it will be included in the base PS4 game.
Or it will come much later, because nobody want's a day one expansion.
Or they change the season pass model, maybe go with DLC for each Update?

Hey!

You'll need to buy a copy of Elite Dangerous for PS4 separately, in much the same way if you wanted an account for Xbox One you'd have to buy it again.

Ok mate thanks for answering!

Aaaand...are there any graphical differences between the PS4 and Pro versions? ;)

This confirms that the PS4 version will launch with update 2.3 and 2.4.

This isn't a confirmation of this at all... we can't confirm any dates right now, but don't take this as accurate information.

Don't mean to sound cagey! Sorry, I just don't have any exact dates for you right now!

Top Bottom