ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Horizons Set to Land for All Commanders

Great to see that current Horizon owners are gonna get a little something too which for me was unexpected but greatly appreciated. Keep up the great work and thanks for your continued efforts during the COVID mess. And to everyone else Fly safe o7

I wonder how we could get from landing pad to, for instance, "Pioneer supplies" or space bar on a big space ports - will it be through the black screen transitions or there will be more immersive way?

What!?!!? They're giving away Horizons for free now !?!!!?!
What the....! I payed money for that!!!!
I'm entitled to a discount on the coming Odyssey dlc now ain't I ?!? I'm being robbed here!!!!

Just kidding, very good decision, I'm glad everybody gets to enjoy Horizons now and it'll perfectly connect every player to the Odyssey dlc when the choose to buy it.
And some nice paintjobs on top too! (y)

yeee .. that's great .. all the commanders join forces .. what about the ppl who bought both ? they get discount for the next DLC ? Or at least a kool paint for ship.
Anyway .... hope when you guys close servers the game will still be on for single player... I really love this game

Last edited:
Greetings Commanders,

We are happy to announce that Elite Dangerous: Horizons will become a free update for the base game on the 27 October 2020 for PC, PlayStation, and Xbox users.

After the fold down, anyone who owns Elite Dangerous will get access to Horizons content and features free of charge, and all future purchases of Elite Dangerous will include this content.

As a huge thank you to everyone who has purchased Elite Dangerous: Horizons over the past four years you will be receiving an exclusive Azure ship paint job compatible with ALL ships currently in the game.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons brings planetary landings to the Elite Dangerous galaxy, together with weapon crafting, ship-launched fighters and exhilarating multicrew co-op action. This premium expansion also allows players to put wheels on the ground and explore the galaxy up-close with the SRV Scarab ground vehicle, and access to many surface star ports and other locations

Elite Dangerous: Horizons will remain on sale on all platforms until 26 October to allow players a last chance to obtain the exclusive Horizon owner reward.

o7 Commanders
That's a great move. I've been saying this for long time. I can't imagine the level of complexity to develop a game split in 3 licenses (base, horizons, odyssey).
I don't like the paint job though 😛
Please FDEV do something to make them more appealing!!! They're all so boring!

so i paid £50 to beta pre-order Horizons as paid content and now the next PAid content is on the "horizon" all i get is a lousy piece of crap Paint job? what a jip.. could have at least given us a credit boost and and ad shed load of arks... or more apropriately a *** lyalyty discount toward ODDESSY when it goes on sale? for crying out loud FDEV you know better than this.. a SODDING paint job?

I bought a game for full price on Steam 5 years ago and now the devs have made it free! Outrageous! Someone call the police, the FBI, the Queen!

I recon the majority of people here have thought or said this at some point as it's so logical
I proposed this during the Beyond development (2018) because of some incoming limitations due to the 2 different licenses.
As an example I didn't wanted unlimited DSS probes, but FDEV made it so because people without Horizons couldn't land on planet to collect the basic materials to synthesize them (this was the official reason).

I think your assumptions are way off, did you think the same with horizons? or are you saying this because its now becoming free?? if so how does that mean anything other than FDev trying to make their development lives that bit easier?

would you rather a paid expansion every 6 months - 1 year?

Yes I do. Besides, as I mentioned in my other comments I'm one of the long term backer so I'm getting all expansions for free...

Top Bottom