Elite Dangerous (incl. Horizons) will be free to keep via Epic store from 19th November (offer available for a week)

I have downloaded and installed the epic games ED, already owning ED Horizons - since beta...
As my email address in epic matches, basically the only option I got was to link my accounts. Now I want to use the Epic account to start a fresh, without wiping my main account, does anyone have any idea - how I can actually have 2 accounts, my old one - with all my stuff, and the new Epic one - with a sidewinder?

That's what I was trying to do. My Epic version is a totally new account with a different email to my main - I want to keep them separate.

Currently there's an issue where the Epic version is out of date and cannot be launched. I tried the "Verify" option - manual updates Epic, really? - but there is no update currently available.

Scoob.

By the way, I tried overwriting the Epic version of the launcher, with the current version from Frontier (which lets me log in and play using my original frontier account)

And... well, doesn't work so...

well at least new players are getting a 'taste of what's to come' by these latest fail shenanigens....... to all new players.... when the game works it really is good lol.... persevere, they'll sort this out soon enough

please update! I'd love another account, but two installs would be bad... :(

It seems to be accepting a mklink symbolic link for the installation of the game (though I fully installed it first, then remove the folder, and then made the link because... it was going to overwrite my current installation at first.)

But, now we have the launcher issue.

I wonder if the earlier error I got where it said I needed to purchase the game - i.e. my NEW Frontier credentials were invalid - was linked to this impending update that Epic don't yet have?

Glad I'm doing this on a separate PC with a separate account on a separate email address...don't want to trash my current install.

Scoob.

1605806811674.png

Don't thank me, I have no patience!

Can you confirm that it should work - that Epic version is up to date? Because upon starting the launcher I get information that update is required, so I don't know if I should just wait, or there's some problem on my end.

It's not a problem at your end. Everyone else has the same issue.

Frontier decided to update the launcher / server versions at the exact moment the promo went live - since Steam has already received this update.

They then forgot to tell Epic.

Brilliant job, Frontier.

It's not a problem at your end. Everyone else has the same issue.

Frontier decided to update the launcher / server versions at the exact moment the promo went live - since Steam has already received this update.

They then forgot to tell Epic.

Brilliant job, Frontier.

Thing is, if you use the currently up to date launcher with the epic version, it still doesn't work so...

Thing is, if you use the currently up to date launcher with the epic version, it still doesn't work so...

Yep, it's just borked. Supposedly my account is linked, but if I log in with a working up-to-date launcher it tells me to buy the game.

As I said, brilliant job.

I currently have 2 Elite accounts and got the Epic version for a third one. I downloaded from Epic and installed, but as others are experiencing, it says I need an update to run that version. I loaded into one of my other commanders and saw that there was a update there too. I applied it and that account runs fine. So, I tried using the new frontier account I created with the EPIC account to run with my Steam install. No dice. It says I need to purchase the game.

I guess I'll have to wait and see if this gets sorted out by Epic and FDev. Preferably, I'd like to run all three from my Steam version the same as I run my other two using just a copy of the launcher for each commander. Time will tell.

Update: I also tried running the launcher directly from the Epic install directory and bypassing the Epic launch. That still says I that I haven't bought the game. :/ At this point, It appears that FDev doesn't have that account linked to my Epic purchase until the Epic launcher can actually run it, but it can't do that until it updates my Epic install.

Last edited:
Preferably, I'd like to run all three from my Steam version the same as I run my other two using just a copy of the launcher for each commander. Time will tell.

That's what I'm hoping too. I have five other accounts I can use from the single Steam version already - only makes sense if I can add this one too.

I'm still wondering if the "Invalid Credentials" error I got - before the "You need an update" one - is linked to that impending update. I created a NEW Frontier account, following the step by step guide linked earlier, which took me back to the launcher once it was done. And, indeed, there was now a Launch button for the game, but it still wouldn't let me play, telling me to purchase the game.

The mind boggles how badly this has gone wrong...

Scoob.

Top Bottom