Elite Dangerous (incl. Horizons) will be free to keep via Epic store from 19th November (offer available for a week)

Didn't get the option to link the epic account; no products showing in the frontier store; "please purchase elite dangerous" when attempting to log in.
What a shambles.

It's weird, while I DID get the link account option initially, and followed the process to the letter - I have a second FDev account working just fine on the website - I have the same issue . I'm reading through the guides and it says if something goes wrong I should see a "Link Account" button to the right of the "Log in" button. I was going to try this however there is no "Link Account" button for me. This is of course the Custom FDev Launchers that the Epic Client opens when you try to run the game.

And the Epic client now says I've been "Playing" for 35 minutes! LIAR! lol.

Scoob.

For my 2c...

I downloaded the whole thing on the same PC as the Steam version.
I created a new Frontier account with the same email as my Epic account (which a different email to my Steam licensed copy)
When I launch it, I just get the standard launcher - I can't link it to my Epic account to the Frontier account.

No rush. I'll wait to see what happens and raise a ticket if necessary. In the meantime I'm back to killing NPC scrubs for control of my home system... I've been away too long and the weeds have gotten high.

Yeah. Hopefully they can fix the account linking issue before too long. I was quite looking forward to the new player experience again...while preserving my main commander.

Scoob.

I guess if you might have made a linking error, make sure your old account(s) work and create fresh accounts on both Epic and Frontier to get a new free copy.

The game is after all free right now....

Blimey you would think you all shelled out loads of money on this free copy...

worst bit is I cant even ask for your stuff as its new accounts you all talking about quitting already...

Apart from the log in screen mishap, it all seems to of gone smoothly so far. I shall just play my normal account whilst this is resolved.

I guess if you might have made a linking error, make sure your old account(s) work and create fresh accounts on both Epic and Frontier to get a new free copy.

The game is after all free right now....

I did go to raise a ticket, but the exact issue I was raising is now confirmed as a known issue. Plus the documents we're directed to to help resolve such things have some errors in them - I suspect because the version of the Frontier Launcher the Epic Client launches isn't quite the same as the regular one.

Such a shame this free launch - which FDev still get paid for per copy (Epic take the hit IIRC) - as it should bring in plenty more customers, a proportion of which will spend money on cosmetics and even fork out for Odyssey if they like what they see of the (now including Horizons) base game.

Scoob.

it is always the same. I had the same problems when I bought my second copy of the game via steam.
I really can't understand why they dont give the option to buy a commander slot instead of this mess.

Quick question....why does the email address for the Epic account have to be the same as the one I link to the frontier store?

I played it for about half a hour .. I passed the base and then it registered in the federation database and there it was twisted around, so I ended it ... but now I have it myself like everyone .. update required

I think everybody is downloading at the same time ...
40 minutes later ...
1605816906839.png

On the plus side, it means the servers aren't inundated with connections just yet as the new commanders can't start up the game 🙂

Well, credit to FDev, they appear to have fixed the account linking issue - Launcher works just fine for me now. Running the game for the first time on this PC, just doing the planet generation stuff.

Btw: at which point do I pick a Commander when logging into the game with a fresh account? Don't want it to use my actual name, like the Epic Launcher does....

Scoob.

Well, credit to FDev, they appear to have fixed the account linking issue - Launcher works just fine for me now. Running the game for the first time on this PC, just doing the planet generation stuff.

Btw: at which point do I pick a Commander when logging into the game with a fresh account? Don't want it to use my actual name, like the Epic Launcher does....

Scoob.

IIRC you don't choose your CMDR name until after training missions now.

IIRC you don't choose your CMDR name until after training missions now.

Thanks. Game just crashed on me after clicking "Start" lol. This PC, while it was my main gaming PC for a long time, hasn't been lately. It is however all updated as it's used dailly for more general activities.

Scoob.

Top Bottom