elite dangerous is a true success

Nah, there's a fair few other categories of 'special' I've seen on this forum - not that I'm claiming to be any better - that make me wonder if there's some kind of subliminal messaging going on in the hyperspace tunnel that leads to obsessive behavior :eek:
From the couple of other fora I visit on occasion, it would appear that gamers in general share common traits... At least the ones who (like me & you) join in the fun...

To me it seems logical that adding legs to ED results in a FPS experience.. I mean if we would have gotten legs without being able to shoot each other the outcry would probably have been at least an order of magnitude louder. Shooting stuff seems to be one of the cornerstones of the game..

To me it seems logical that adding legs to ED results in a FPS experience.. I mean if we would have gotten legs without being able to shoot each other the outcry would probably have been at least an order of magnitude louder. Shooting stuff seems to be one of the cornerstones of the game..
I agree and each to their own but it is how they work I don't personally like. it works ok (imo) on the general use if I die I wake up in prison etc etc . but what I think is the poor fit is the ground based combat zones. I know people here disagree with me and fair play ..... but I just don't see how it can be seen as anything other than an arcade like arena shooter where we have multiple lives. this essentially is exactly the kind of trend the original elite was meant to buck.

I also think more could (should ) be done for those who don't want to be killers but still doing base raids. non lethal attacks and the ability to drag bodies and hide them in cubbyholes as well as possible time limit before they wake up etc
I managed 2500hrs in elite and never killed anyone who was not wanted. (actually i lie. I accidentally killed one person)

but IF you choose to engage is most of the ground base stuff it is practically impossible not to be a murder hobo (unless you just ignore most of that content)

Last edited:

I think you are right but I stand by the fact it was never going to be enough, the bar for success was set too low. I know some people like to get behind the hypothetical MVP argument or 'you have to start somewhere etc etc' yeah that's called Early Access and it only works if you get around to iterating in a sensible period of time.

I do believe it is possible for on-foot gameplay to come good its just my faith is lacking now compared to 4yrs ago.

ED yes, it has successfully helped fund the birth of a new Dev/publishing building which has, in turn, spawned several other games, Meanwhile EDO, has removed console support and divided the Forums more than ever, but it still requires a lot of work, it has no on foot VR support it also played a part in halving the company's value so in short ED:Yes EDO:No at least from where I see it as a LEPper..

View attachment 306871
Sort of a silly post. All tech stocks have taken a beating this year:
  • Nvidia -47%
  • AMD -36%
  • Facebook (Meta) -43%
  • Apple -23%
  • Google (Alphabet) -23%
They are pretty much all tanking. It's not just game makers.

I agree and each to their own but it is how they work I don't personally like. it works ok (imo) on the general use if I die I wake up in prison etc etc . but what I think is the poor fit is the ground based combat zones. I know people here disagree with me and fair play ..... but I just don't see how it can be seen as anything other than an arcade like arena shooter where we have multiple lives
Interestingly... I have joined a ground CZ with a just a few bounties and notoriety from the 'opposition', been killed and shipped straight to prison, rather than just rejoin the fight, recently. That was fun! (fortunately in Colonia, where the 'prison' is very close to the inhabited 'bubble')
relevant facts and data to prove or back up a point, kinda stinks when you dont like or want to hear the truth...this I agree.
Relevant facts and data are indeed useful... What is relevant to a game how much the developer's shares are trading at, or how many players were active, on a single platform, during any particular hour? (steam is fun as a snapshot might be chosen to illustrate best or worst numbers, depending on one's agenda - plus, of course, it only represents those playing on steam, not on other launchers, or in the case of EDH, platforms)

But, if you need stock market trends to enable to enjoy, or select the purchase of, a game, fill your boots....

Interestingly... I have joined a ground CZ with a just a few bounties and notoriety from the 'opposition', been killed and shipped straight to prison, rather than just rejoin the fight, recently. That was fun! (fortunately in Colonia, where the 'prison' is very close to the inhabited 'bubble')
That is interesting and if so is an improvement imo (though would likely need a balance change for the number of badguys i suppose) but it is certainly a better fit for how ED works imo.
However I wonder when they slipped that in? I dont follow the game like i once did however i thought i would have noticed that change mentioed. i will give it another go next time i get on.
I know some like the way it was before. I do think there is a place for team based death match with both sides having x number of lives....... but that would surely be a better fit for CQC

However I wonder when they slipped that in?
It may have appeared with U10 or 11, as I'm almost certain I've 'been naughty' in the past and not seen this.
Or, of course, it may just have been a glitch - I'll attempt to replicate it in the next war with the same faction as host, I normally have 'bad rep' with them, and if I don't, well - it would be simple to ensure I have!

Frontier aren't a tech stock, they're game developers.
Ummmm...game developers ARE tech stocks. That's why they're traded for the most part on NASDAQ.

Amazon (Twitch) -22.5%
Bandiai Namco -12%
Akatsuki Inc -22%
Capcom Co Ltd -8%
Corsair Gaming -30.65%
Electronic Arts -7%
Esports Entertainment -95%
Nintendo -21%
Ubisoft -33%
Blizzard -17% (And to be fair, it would be much, much worse had they not gotten a boost because they've just been bought out by Microsoft.)
Microsoft -24%

Top Bottom