"Elite Dangerous is dying"

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Been hearing a lot of talk recently about how Elite is dying. I don't think this will happen any time soon. In my experience, for a game to die an adequate replacement must be available. Space sim nerds are always gonna play space sims, and if there isn't a replacement space sim game out there that does most of what Elite does, but better, the game isn't going to die.

I used to be a big Star Trek Online player back in the day. It used to be one of my primary games. The only reason why I stopped playing STO around 2014/15 is because another game came along and did most of what I wanted from STO, but better. That game was Elite Dangerous. Since then, I haven't really looked back since. So when I try to look around to find a replacement game that satisfies the parts of Elite that I love, I find nothing. The two other main games in the same genre as Elite feel more like side-grades than upgrades from ED, which isn't enough to get me to switch to them.

So no, I'm not really buying into this "Elite is dying" rhetoric currently being thrown around, at least for now ....

the game is not dying there might of been a drop in subs at the moment but they will return i think .
i agree with OP i am enjoying the game now that a lot of the bugs are sorted and yes there are still a lot more bugs need fixing.
I know we are not getting VR support anytime soon and i am ok with that i can always use horizons if i want to use my oculus so that dont bother me none
yes i would like to walk around in ships like evryone else even if its only a cinematic entry of you seeing your ship turn on like the krait mk2 into things like that would be good .
i think they will sort it out eventually but i will still play the game and i am enjoying it.
O7 commanders
stay safe

I'm still spending lots of time in Odyssey and having shed loads of fun.

And, I'm in it for the long haul. I'm betting there's lots more to come. e.g. what are building and ship schematics going to be useful for?

I think of Odyssey as a 'platform' - the framework is in place for lots more to be added, and I can't wait to see what we get :)

MontyPython-BringOutYourDead-480t.jpg

I'm playing more than ever since Odyssey, and enjoying it too. Obviously there are major issues to be addressed and I'd like to see more content added to the base game. I don't think it's dying but it has taken a beating. The negative voices have certainly been and still are louder, it's depressing to see so much negative content showing up in my youtube feed and I can't help but feel the glee in some of them. We could certainly use some positive news about the game right now

Last edited:
Been hearing a lot of talk recently about how Elite is dying. I don't think this will happen any time soon. In my experience, for a game to die an adequate replacement must be available. Space sim nerds are always gonna play space sims, and if there isn't a replacement space sim game out there that does most of what Elite does, but better, the game isn't going to die.

I used to be a big Star Trek Online player back in the day. It used to be one of my primary games. The only reason why I stopped playing STO around 2014/15 is because another game came along and did most of what I wanted from STO, but better. That game was Elite Dangerous. Since then, I haven't really looked back since. So when I try to look around to find a replacement game that satisfies the parts of Elite that I love, I find nothing. The two other main games in the same genre as Elite feel more like side-grades than upgrades from ED, which isn't enough to get me to switch to them.

So no, I'm not really buying into this "Elite is dying" rhetoric currently being thrown around, at least for now ....
When Tabula Rasa died, I had to wait years for something relatively similar to happen, in the way of shooter looter. And even then, they are limited in number, most follow an "arena" style instead of "mmo" style. There is still no real replacement to this day.
Same for Hellgate london. People had to wait for borderlands for something similar. And yet again, it's very limited in choice.
We had to wait decades for good turn based RPG. Same for non turn based CRPG, really. There was very little after black isle's Baldur's Gate and the like.
Game like skyrim have nearly no competition. Open world ? Yes sure, plenty, but they mostly follow GTA or Assassin creed/farcry formula instead. I know skyrim and oblivion on the back of my hand, also fallout 3 and NV. I had a bit of outward, but it's not nearly as big and way more janky. Still waiting for more.
After freelancer, we didn't have good space sim for the longest time. Sto is not really a space sim at all. ED and SC restarted the whole thing.

Games can die without replacement. Happen all the time.

When Tabula Rasa died, I had to wait years for something relatively similar to happen, in the way of shooter looter. And even then, they are limited in number, most follow an "arena" style instead of "mmo" style. There is still no real replacement to this day.
Same for Hellgate london. People had to wait for borderlands for something similar. And yet again, it's very limited in choice.
We had to wait decades for good turn based RPG. Same for non turn based CRPG, really. There was very little after black isle's Baldur's Gate and the like.
Game like skyrim have nearly no competition. Open world ? Yes sure, plenty, but they mostly follow GTA or Assassin creed/farcry formula instead. I know skyrim and oblivion on the back of my hand, also fallout 3 and NV. I had a bit of outward, but it's not nearly as big and way more janky. Still waiting for more.
After freelancer, we didn't have good space sim for the longest time. Sto is not really a space sim at all. ED and SC restarted the whole thing.

Games can die without replacement. Happen all the time.
X games were around for most of the time. The only thing ED brought fresh to the table was nice gfx and a dynamic open world. At least in the bubble, but it made too many concessions to be able to be MP. The SP space games are far more enjoyable, imo.

They are not real space sim. They are management game. The space sim part is limited compared to all the things you can do.

Not saying it's bad, I like them. But that's not freelancer/ed like space sim.
I barely see a difference. The FM is superior in X for me. And there also was Independence Day 1 and 2. 2 was particularly good and they also had a superior FM.

Sorry, OP is as misguided as the 'Steamcharts! Doom!" threaders. Games don't live or die based upon how much people want them to - they live or die based on economics. Once a company can't make money from a game they won't keep it going. The only influence the players have is in what they spend / don't spend.

Which is why all the negativity is bad - if it reduced the income from a game it will be closed. Doesn't matter how much people want or need (or hate or dislike) the game.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom