Elite Dangerous Issue Report - 05/10/2021

There were a few other questionable remarks (FC pricing too low in Bruce's opinion, FC jump waiting times to not allow players to travel too fast - I thought the timer was for technical reasons???) that made me scratch my head further but I'm not going to dwell on it. At this stage I'm going through a "it's not me, it's you" phase here!
I'd noticed those same comments also, and did a little of the same headscratching too!

I don't have a problem with FCs in their current cost / ongoing costs, they seem reasonable enough, but likewise remember being told that the waiting times was a technical issue to permit server propogation, not just a means to stop us travelling too fast! Jumping to or from Colonia / bubble is a 16+ hour 'trip', being 44 / 45 jumps, which isn't terribly quick, but I suppose is if one considered jumping 40 ships individually.

I'm currently looking at EDH / EDO 'progress' and can't help thinking "get on with it!" as each forward step brings fresh backward ones to 'balance ' it. Yes, I can play EDO, even with the performance issues, with reasonable performance, but I'd be much happier if it was a seamless transition between EDO / EDH - or even being able to play EDO without my GPU fans running hard all of the time and having no 'need' to go to EDH for anything ever again.

I'm currently looking at EDH / EDO 'progress' and can't help thinking "get on with it!" as each forward step brings fresh backward ones to 'balance ' it. Yes, I can play EDO, even with the performance issues, with reasonable performance, but I'd be much happier if it was a seamless transition between EDO / EDH - or even being able to play EDO without my GPU fans running hard all of the time and having no 'need' to go to EDH for anything ever again.
Loading up EDH has (since ODY) given me a "wow" feeling. The lighting - atmosphere and organic look of the planets is awestrucking. Compare this to the plastic-balls ODY offers, the flicker/dancing shadows and sterile lighting.

Oh.. and EDH runs on 3440x1440p with SS 1.25 at 120fps on my RTX 2070. Planets cap out at around 90. Sharp, crisp and responsive.
in ODY planets cap out at 65'ish and 45 (max) at settlements... with fans buzzing like hurricane Catrina. Blurred and stuttering.

Those who say we are "getting there" with ODY performance are living in a dimension I would love to visit.

Loading up EDH has (since ODY) given me a "wow" feeling. The lighting - atmosphere and organic look of the planets is awestrucking. Compare this to the plastic-balls ODY offers, the flicker/dancing shadows and sterile lighting.

Yeap, same feeling here.
Hence i'm reluctant to start Horizons because everytime i did it, EDO looks worse and it's hard to get back into it.
And indeed EDO looks like plastic. Shiny plastic sometimes, but still plastic

Yeap, same feeling here.
Hence i'm reluctant to start Horizons because everytime i did it, EDO looks worse and it's hard to get back into it.
And indeed EDO looks like plastic. Shiny plastic sometimes, but still plastic
I have to go back to Horizons for the first time since Odyssey launched this weekend.

I'm dreading it ... not because I think it's going to be awful, exactly the opposite reason in fact.

I have to go back to Horizons for the first time since Odyssey launched this weekend.

I'm dreading it ... not because I think it's going to be awful, exactly the opposite reason in fact.
I really hope that ODY (rather sooner than later) will turn into the upgrade that we all (incl. FDEV) hoped it would be.

But the casualties are on the table already:
  • Planets
  • Lighting (stating that its a system limitation issue to stop shadows moving with the ship does not sound good to me)
  • High performance

Perhaps another problem is that you can't change your votes. The 32 button issue has been around for ever so perhaps it's just accrued lots of votes over time. Some of those people may well feel that having no ship audio or no WD exclusion zone marker is more important than being able to bind button 35 but don't have any unallocated votes left. I know I've been in that situation before.
Actually you CAN remove your vote, i don't remember where, but i did recently

Actually you CAN remove your vote, i don't remember where, but i did recently

You can, but it’s similarly chaotic to issuestracker itself. Log in, use my issues, then choose Voted and scroll down through shown reports to find ones with your vote. Then click on issue where is mark for your vote, it will remove your vote and can be used elsewhere. I better not try express my honest view on how well this functionality works …

Deleted member 182079

D
I'd noticed those same comments also, and did a little of the same headscratching too!

I don't have a problem with FCs in their current cost / ongoing costs, they seem reasonable enough, but likewise remember being told that the waiting times was a technical issue to permit server propogation, not just a means to stop us travelling too fast! Jumping to or from Colonia / bubble is a 16+ hour 'trip', being 44 / 45 jumps, which isn't terribly quick, but I suppose is if one considered jumping 40 ships individually.
Even during my 10bn in assets multi-billionaire times, I felt that FCs based on relatively normal earning rates (and not Borann-level, those days are over as far as I can tell) should've cost between 2-3bn for the base price. The rest including weekly upkeep is fine as it is. I'm playing the game normally these days and don't spend a lot of time grinding for anything, and I'm not sure if I ever have the energy required to get my FC back. My own fault for wiping my account but it really has shown me that you can make easy credits much easier when you're already rich (I still don't have enough for an A-rated Anaconda or T10 for example). A bit like IRL I suppose....

On the waiting time, either Bruce wasn't aware of the tech reason, or he inadvertently let slip the real reason which wouldn't even surprise me; they dropped it from the initial 1 hour to 20 minutes, found it difficult enough to believe they managed to optimise (ha!) their networking limitations by 66% just like that. Who knows.

Oh.. and EDH runs on 3440x1440p with SS 1.25 at 120fps on my RTX 2070. Planets cap out at around 90. Sharp, crisp and responsive.
in ODY planets cap out at 65'ish and 45 (max) at settlements... with fans buzzing like hurricane Catrina. Blurred and stuttering.

Those who say we are "getting there" with ODY performance are living in a dimension I would love to visit.
Yep - in terms of a clean and optimised looking game EDO has nothing on EDH. And it is hard to go back to EDO after playing EDH... the only thing that makes me is FOMO with regards to the new gameplay environments and I do like the idea to wander around outside my ship, but when I actually do I get bored quite quickly (plus the technical issues grate a lot). The other draw is the planet tech, which really had its moments at least pre-patch 7 for me, performance issues notwithstanding. Purely looks wise I actually prefer EDO planets vs EDH's, but as soon as things are in motion that changes to the opposite unfortunately. And since I don't play the game in stop-motion or through screenshots, this is a fundamental problem.

I also feel that the flight model is ever so slightly different in EDO, can't put my finger on it, but it feels more fun to fly my ships in EDH. Maybe it's merely the super smooth and rock steady performance, not sure.

I never stopped playing EDH, as EDO space graphic is just looking as a downgrade to me.

Ships are dark, smoke trails are barely visibile and the bright/saturated colours for weapons (the big PAs balls, the laser effects, etc) that created amazing space fights looks like they have been washed at 120C... they have litterally destroyed the old visual cinematics that made great this game.

I also feel that the flight model is ever so slightly different in EDO, can't put my finger on it, but it feels more fun to fly my ships in EDH. Maybe it's merely the super smooth and rock steady performance, not sure.

The effect of ship thrusters seems very different to me, and I wasn't alone* - though that issue has been closed as both unreproducible and fixed. Kind of a miracle, I guess, fixing an unreproducible bug.

To me it seems as though the thrusters take longer to take effect and longer to stop affecting a ship's trajectory, as though the ship's inertia is having a greater effect in Odyssey. I found it very bad in both the Krait MKII and the DBX, the two ships I was flying; but weirdly it's easier to control in the Chieftain, which is normally a pretty drifty ship.

* I didn't report it there, though I did confirm it.

Edit: It's incredible that a bug with that many confirmations has just been erased.

Last edited:
I can't decide if people just don't vote and/or contribute to the obvious bugs because they just assume "Frontier must know about this and don't need me to report it", or whether there's a small number of people spamming the vote system somehow thus drowning out the more obvious bugs, or whether the things that seem like obvious bugs to me are simply of no concern to most players. It's baffling.
Keep in mind that most every noteworthy bug has a fair number of duplicates in the tracker. I suspect the effect we're seeing is that the bugs that get voted up to stand out from the noise are the ones where forum/reddit/etc attention has successfully corralled people into voting for a particular issue report. There have definitely been a few lighting-related forum threads whipping votes that way over the past month.

Perhaps Frontier could be a bit more pointed about merging duplicate issues, and make sure to sweep the votes into the bucket for the surviving report. That might help consolidate scattered votes. They could also close some of those "we won't be doing anything about this soon" issue reports, releasing those votes and freeing those slots in the top 20.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Is Odyssey actually heading in the right direction graphically?

I am glad a) I was primarily on console so can sit this out b) I have still not bought it on my PC.

Reading this thread is just depressing for Elite.

Is Odyssey actually heading in the right direction graphically?
We won't know until they tackle graphics which is after they tackle performance, which is maybe possibly on the wkend of the 18th but whether it will be fully fixed by then is anybodies guess.

As for heading in the right direction based on current gameplay. That's a no from this cmdr

• poor lighting in space
  • poor lighting in ship interiors
  • bad balance of lighting
  • shadows doing weird things
  • ships paints not looking like they used to
  • problems with bloom
  • loss of functionality due to lighting (inability to determine guiding lights, space dust used for rotational adjustmants etc.)
  • UI lighting looking terrible
  • weird issues with space darkening depending on what the overall camera sees
  • poor colour choices in the UI that lead to a weird mix of the nice usual orange and garish/sickly yellow mixed with red, green, dark navy and white which looks cluttered and unpleasant at least to this cmdr.

Last edited:

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
It depends on who you ask 🤷‍♂️

Upgrade / Downgrade all appear to be judged by the perceptions (or actual bias) of the person commenting.

Why not get it for your PC and judge yourself? - After all you are the only person able to make that decision.
It's true but, if I was to buy it I would want it on my Frontier Store account (which is still full price vs. all the Steam possibilities out there for discounts).

At the moment with all its ongoing issues from the sidelines I am not convinced it's worth the £30.

Top Bottom