Elite Dangerous Media Usage Rules
Frontier wants to encourage our fans to make great content for the Elite community as much as possible. We’re incredibly grateful for our passionate and dedicated fans and are happy to provide this guide to help you all better share your fandom with others.
Who is this for?
This guide is for anyone that wishes to create media relating to Elite Dangerous for non-commercial purposes. This can include, but is not exclusive to, the following:firstname.lastname@example.org
• Fan Pages
• Community Sites
• News Pieces
• Fan Art
• Fan Videos
If you’re planning to use Frontier game content for a purpose that isn’t listed above and would like clarification on our position, then feel free to email us!
Asset Usage and Attributing to Frontier
Whilst we’re happy for people to make Elite Dangerous content, there are some rules that we wish creators to adhere to when using our assets. We also ask that people attribute any of our assets directly to Frontier Developments, in the way detailed later in this guide.
- You must not knowingly use Frontier game content to mislead or impersonate Frontier. This could be by creating false ‘leaks’, news pieces, trailers, or any other piece of content that may be misconstrued by others.
- Permission is needed from Frontier in advance, if you wish to use any of our game content for promotional or commercial ventures (this includes commercial websites). If this is something you wish to explore then please email email@example.com.
- You may use your content to enter any relevant competitions, as long as the competition organisers are happy to adhere to the above rule set.
- Anyone reusing your content for their own projects also needs to adhere to the above rule set.
- Any project that uses Elite Dangerous assets must correctly attribute it to Frontier Developments in the manner stated below.
- Frontier Developments reserve the right to revoke the use of our assets for any project or creation that we deem misrepresents or damages our brand identity.
Attributing Content to Frontier
If you use any Elite Dangerous media to create content it needs to be attributed to Frontier under our official trademark of ‘Frontier Developments plc’. This needs to be communicated clearly and in a location that is easily located by others. There are 2 preferred ways of doing this:
“Assets borrowed from Elite Dangerous, with permission of Frontier Developments plc”
The short form attribution is useful for things such as images and shorter news pieces, where a long form attribution may be impractical. For images, this could be displayed in the description of the image or in its metadata. Where practical though, a long form attribution is preferred:
"[Name of your project] was created using assets and imagery from Elite Dangerous, with the permission of Frontier Developments plc, for non-commercial purposes. It is not endorsed by nor reflects the views or opinions of Frontier Developments and no employee of Frontier Developments was involved in the making of it."
The long form version should be used for video content, community sites/fan pages or for longer editorials, where it can be adequately fitted in without affecting the creativity of the piece. This could be in the credits, header/footer, or terms & conditions, depending on the nature of the content. As long as it is not deliberately obscured or hidden from viewers.
Elite Dangerous links
Whilst it is not a requirement, any content using Elite Dangerous or Frontier Developments assets would preferably link back somewhere to an official Elite Dangerous news/media source. A full list of these can be seen below: