Elite: Dangerous Mega Survey Results

Thanks. That's all I wanted to accomplish, well aware of the unsurpassable limits: an interesting but flawed snapshot. I just get frustrated when all of a sudden everyone is an expert statistician (not you) doing Monday-morning quarterbacking by carefully enumerating all the flaws the survey has, and how I should've done it differently. Often ignoring stuff that I tried to carefully explain in the post. A post that most people don't seem to have any interest in reading because apparently Reddit has cooties.

I think the information is useful and worth looking at but you should change the title to accurately reflect that it is a snapshot from a specific group and not a Mega Survey.

Other than the Dev quote that states that Frontier are well aware that the majority of players do not get involved in PvP, no. :)

Likely more to do with it yielding no progress in game because the devs have removed almost all incentive to do it. For example, long ago in early development destroying a players ship resulted in cargo being dropped in the wreckage, they removed that thus removing an incentive to shoot at players. This despite selling the game 'in a cutthroat galaxy' where we can 'hunt other commanders'.

Its also worth pointing out that outside certain locations its rare to find a player since the bubble has 70k populated systems and the total gameplay area is practically infinite. So it goes without saying that most play would ordinarily not be PvP related. I think most of my time in game would be PvE related since its a requirement to be able to PvP and play my way.

The introduction of a karma system would seem to be an attempt to curb some of the behaviours that Frontier consider to be detrimental to the health of the game in general and Open in particular.

I suspect its more about attempting to end the whining on the forums. Funny though, in spite of everything the largest player demographic is Open play.

Speculation. If the karma system has the desired effect then it seems likely that more players will want to play in Open (not all, of course).

Its really not the impression I have having read these forums for several years. It will potentially have a detrimental effect on play for those who are happy with Open.

Not really, in my opinion, as the three game modes were part of the game design from the outset (along with the single shared galaxy state and mode mobility) - and nowhere does it state that engaging in particular behaviours in Open would be free from consequences....

Yes I don't dispute the original pitch. The difference is that you can continue your style of play unchanged and uninterrupted by reverting to your chosen pg. Those of us who enjoy Open as it is now don't have another mode to fall back on. Also, the advertising or pitch never suggested that one should play nice or face the consequences.

Its revealing the way this has gone over the years. I get the distinct impression that most bemoaning 'griefing' will continue playing in solo/pg and are just attempting to rain on the parade of other players whose play they have an ideological issue with.

for example, I really doubt ardent Mobians will play in Open post cp/karma changes because they seem opposed to PvP of any variety even in combat zones.

First, great job and thank you for making the data available, not just the summary of the results. That being said, I like may others, didn't even know that there was a survey going on. I realize that one user is not a lot of data to have missed; but it is clear that I am not alone in being missed. If enough people are missed then it becomes meaningful.

This certainly isn't the first user survey. It won't even be the last. To capture more users, the idea of asking for it to be included in the weekly Gal-Net report comes to mind. Again, it wont get everyone; but it should get a bigger cross selection than a survey of Elite Player who also use Reddit.

Interesting to see the majority use open play.

Errr... They don't...

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/6stz53/elite_dangerous_mega_survey_results/

QUESTION n5 - Which game mode do you more regularly choose?
While it is clear that Open is not dying, I am surprised that the Solo+Private Group total is higher (51%) than the Open one (49%). Why is that? This is a very divisive question, and it’s nearly impossible to have a civilized conversation about it (because of unreasonable people both extremes of the spectrum). I personally always recommend playing in Open: griefers are a vocal minority (see below) and their actions are louder on the internet than they are actually frequent in-game. Attention-seekers at heart, they thrive on publicity, and I think that lots of people hide in Solo or in a Private Group because of an unreasonable picture of what Open is like (you can easily play for months, or years, without meeting griefers). Perhaps a new Crime and Punishment system will help changing these figures? This also has repercussions on playstyle, see the detailed cross-analyses below.

I suspect its more about attempting to end the whining on the forums. Funny though, in spite of everything the largest player demographic is Open play.

Its really not the impression I have having read these forums for several years. It will potentially have a detrimental effect on play for those who are happy with Open.

Are you kidding? The C&P system is going to provide Forum Whining Material for months and months !

The point was made earlier that Solo players are probably the least likely to participate in forums, compared with Open players, so there is probably a big skew away from Solo in the poll. I am inclined to believe this is true.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Likely more to do with it yielding no progress in game because the devs have removed almost all incentive to do it. For example, long ago in early development destroying a players ship resulted in cargo being dropped in the wreckage, they removed that thus removing an incentive to shoot at players. This despite selling the game 'in a cutthroat galaxy' where we can 'hunt other commanders'.

Not developing the game into a PvP focused game is not a surprise - the early design information did not, in my opinion, read like the game was ever going to be PvP focused - with the single shared galaxy state being the principle pointer. The pan-modal implementation of CGs and Powerplay, along with new multi-player features - Wings and Multi-Crew - being implemented in both multi-player modes reiterates this.

Its also worth pointing out that outside certain locations its rare to find a player since the bubble has 70k populated systems and the total gameplay area is practically infinite. So it goes without saying that most play would ordinarily not be PvP related. I think most of my time in game would be PvE related since its a requirement to be able to PvP and play my way.

Indeed.

More likely, given that Sandro has been talking about increased consequences for some player / player interactions for well over a year now, that Frontier might be a little concerned that Open is not as popular a game mode choice as they'd like - so they are taking steps to remedy that.

Only Frontier will see if there is a net population increase in Open - and if some players find that their gameplay is curtailed then that would suggest that their chosen play-style contains one or more behaviours that Frontier consider to be detrimental to the health of the game - and it is up to Frontier to decide what is or is not acceptable behaviour in the multi-player modes of this game.

Yes I don't dispute the original pitch. The difference is that you can continue your style of play unchanged and uninterrupted by reverting to your chosen pg. Those of us who enjoy Open as it is now don't have another mode to fall back on. Also, the advertising or pitch never suggested that one should play nice or face the consequences.

I'd suggest that, should Open become unappealing, one option would be to petition Frontier for the ability to be able to switch off the karma system in Private Groups.

Its revealing the way this has gone over the years. I get the distinct impression that most bemoaning 'griefing' will continue playing in solo/pg and are just attempting to rain on the parade of other players whose play they have an ideological issue with.

That may be your impression - another possibility is that players might tend to play more often in Open once it offers them a better gameplay experience.

for example, I really doubt ardent Mobians will play in Open post cp/karma changes because they seem opposed to PvP of any variety even in combat zones.

Open is a PvP game mode - why would players seeking a PvP-free environment play in it?

Errr... They don't...

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/6stz53/elite_dangerous_mega_survey_results/

QUESTION n5 - Which game mode do you more regularly choose?
While it is clear that Open is not dying, I am surprised that the Solo+Private Group total is higher (51%) than the Open one (49%). Why is that? This is a very divisive question, and it’s nearly impossible to have a civilized conversation about it (because of unreasonable people both extremes of the spectrum). I personally always recommend playing in Open: griefers are a vocal minority (see below) and their actions are louder on the internet than they are actually frequent in-game. Attention-seekers at heart, they thrive on publicity, and I think that lots of people hide in Solo or in a Private Group because of an unreasonable picture of what Open is like (you can easily play for months, or years, without meeting griefers). Perhaps a new Crime and Punishment system will help changing these figures? This also has repercussions on playstyle, see the detailed cross-analyses below.
Already been done to death. People are using different definitions of majority.

Nice work OP, very interesting.

Imagine if FD released the statistics from their end. Though I strongly suspect even then some would argue about what they mean!

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
As I stated several times, I can see duplicate submissions coming from the same IP, and the number was negligible (and besides, I had people tell me they'd have, for example, several co-workers take the survey from the same network). As for the other variables, fair enough, there is no way to keep them under control. But this is not because I am a statistician (I am) but because without Frontier's help it is impossible to control the sample population.. And there is no way they'd offer official support to a project like this (for commercial reasons that we might not like, but that are totally understandable from their point of view).

I am not stopping anyone from designing and running another survey. Go ahead: show me how it's done.

So you were collecting ip addresses too. Nice. Good job I have a dynamic ip address as do probably over 90% of the people who took the survey.

Not a single person has questioned the amount of work you put into this, but you shouldn't think this is the first of it's kind by any stretch of the imagination. There have been many before, and like others have said many to come, but I'm afraid it doesn't change the fact that none of them will ever be an accurate representation. Which is exactly why it is, as I have maintained from my very first reply, just a mildly interesting read.

If you know Frontier would never help, then perhaps you should change the wording in your posts to stop making it look as though they were refusing to help.

Last edited:
Are you kidding? The C&P system is going to provide Forum Whining Material for months and months !

The point was made earlier that Solo players are probably the least likely to participate in forums, compared with Open players, so there is probably a big skew away from Solo in the poll. I am inclined to believe this is true.

I play exclusively in Solo, and I am not liked on this board. :)

Lets go ahead and pull the plug on solo and Pg's, and we'll see what happens ;)

The game would be reduced to what you have in open now. There wouldn't be a swelling of the population in open, but rather the population who 'used' to play the game would swell.

Hello Commanders,

I have just released the results of the Elite: Dangerous Mega Survey. You can find all the links and my comments here: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/6stz53/elite_dangerous_mega_survey_results/

Enjoy!

Thanks for your link.

Very very interesting reading.

Nothing to add except that this forum is very toxic: there are only a few poster here who has add somehitng interesting in the discussion so don't take it bad if it seems your work isn't appreciated.

It is indeed.

p.s. Virtual rep having finished it...

[yesnod]

Hardly meaningless.

Meaningless statistical exercise.

As a survey it's okay but interpreting the results in any meaningful way is not possible given the lack of statistical rigour. Yes, limits were noted but not accounted for.

As I said, I'd be delighted if that had been a good statistical exercise but it wasn't.

Unfortunately.

Thanks for your link.

Very very interesting reading.

Nothing to add except that this forum is very toxic: there are only a few poster here who has add somehitng interesting in the discussion so don't take it bad if it seems your work isn't appreciated.

It is indeed.

p.s. Virtual rep having finished it...

[yesnod]

Thank you kindly sir :)

I'm really not trying to sound rude here. However this is actually pointless and doesn't accurately support anything... What I mean by that is it only takes into account people that actually saw the survey in the first place and those that frequent the forums or redit. I never saw it and I can personally add about 40 people at least that never saw it either in order to vote. All of them play in private groups and not in open... So your numbers do not show anything but what those that even knew about the survey in the first place and considering were the survey was should say something... lol...

I'm really not trying to sound rude here. However this is actually pointless and doesn't accurately support anything... What I mean by that is it only takes into account people that actually saw the survey in the first place and those that frequent the forums or redit. I never saw it and I can personally add about 40 people at least that never saw it either in order to vote. All of them play in private groups and not in open... So your numbers do not show anything but what those that even knew about the survey in the first place and considering were the survey was should say something... lol...

This is true but only relevant if someone has agenda XY. You are right that the survey doesn't provide accurate data to be taken as fact in an argument, but it's still interesting since it tells us something about the 12k people who participated.

Top Bottom