Elite: Dangerous Mega Survey Results

A majority is a subset of a group that is more than half of the entire group.
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majority_(disambiguation)

As a mathematical concept, it means
A majority is the greater part, or more than half, of the total. It is a subset of a set consisting of more than half of the set's elements.
"Majority" can be used to specify the voting requirement, as in a "majority vote". A majority vote is more than half of the votes cast.
A majority can be compared to a plurality, which is a subset larger than any other subset considered. A plurality is not necessarily a majority as the largest subset considered may consist of less than half the set's elements. This can occur when there are three or more possible choices.
In British English the term majority is also alternatively used to refer to the winning margin, i.e. the number of votes separating the first-place finisher from the second-place finisher.
Other related terms containing the word "majority" have their own meanings, which may sometimes be inconsistent in usage.
It is a situation when more than half the members in a group support a decision it is called majority
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majority

Dictionary:
Definition of majority
plural majorities
1 obsolete : the quality or state of being greater

a : the age at which full civil rights are accorded The age of majority in the U.S. is 18.
b : the status of one who has attained this age graduated … before he had attained his majority — W. L. Burrage

a : a number or percentage equaling more than half of a total a majority of voters a two-thirds majority
b : the excess of a majority over the remainder of the total : margin won by a majority of 10 votes
c : the greater quantity or share the majority of the time

4: the group or political party having the greater number of votes (as in a legislature)

5: : the military office, rank, or commission of a major

Interpret that as you will.

My interpretation here, is that because votes were cast .. then majority is used as "more than half."

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Well that's an interesting read, especially considering it's one of the few things I be read on that... place.

I am interested to hear whether you contacted any Frontier employees directly to ask whether it could be included in the newsletter etc., or is it entirely the volunteer moderators fault..? I can tell from your writing you didn't though.

It actually gets worse when you say Elite players who use Reddit are more "hardcore"... (I could point out the Thargoids were discovered entirely in game) I think I should probably stop talking now.

Though I will say I am surprised that you were surprised Exploration was the most popular career, especially considering the amount of videos and worldwide press coverage it has generated.

Well that's an interesting read, especially considering it's one of the few things I be read on that... place.

I am interested to hear whether you contacted any Frontier employees directly to ask whether it could be included in the newsletter etc., or is it entirely the volunteer moderators fault..? I can tell from your writing you didn't though.

It actually gets worse when you say Elite players who use Reddit are more "hardcore"... (I could point out the Thargoids were discovered entirely in game) I think I should probably stop talking now.

Though I will say I am surprised that you were surprised Exploration was the most popular career, especially considering the amount of videos and worldwide press coverage it has generated.

I was told in no uncertain terms that I was not allowed, due to potential data mining about user info.

I was surprised about exploration being _so much_ in front of the rest, also considering the survey sample. I am a trader and explorer myself.

I will go by the oxford dictionary over wikipedia every day, sorry.
As is your prerogative.

From: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/majority
Usage
Majority means more than half: fifty-one out of a hundred is a majority. A plurality is the largest number among three or more.

Consider the following scenarios: If Anne received 50 votes, Barry received 30, and Carlos received 20, then Anne received a plurality, and no candidate won a majority. If Anne got 35 votes, Barry 14, and Carlos 51, then Carlos won both the plurality and the majority.

Strictly speaking, majority should be used with countable nouns to mean ‘the greater number’, as in the majority of cases. Use with uncountable nouns to mean ‘the greatest part’, as in I spent the majority of the day reading, is not considered good standard English, although it is common in informal contexts.

Last edited:
I will go by the oxford dictionary over wikipedia every day, sorry.
You don't have to pick one over another. The difference is in context. For a mathematician or any scientifically oriented person, the term "majority" is defined by being more than 50%. But in common language and especially in politics, the same term is used for the biggest group, even if it does not meet the mathematical standard. (So yes, in politics in theory a group of 10 people can be "the majority", if they are the biggest group coming to an agreement... )
That all being said, i noticed a very amusing other detail: the term "emergent gameplay deliverers" is considered a synonym for "griefer". They are a small fraction of all players, but according to the survey they are present in open, PGs and in solo. I am really curious who they grief in solo... that must be some badly self-centered S&M activity... *g*

I....I'm reminded of Election Night. Perhaps we can have a coalition of the Solo Party and the Private Party, to keep the Open Party out of power.

Or maybe I should join CMDR S. Russell, get some popcorn and watch the thread. :D

I decided to take part. lol

You don't have to pick one over another. The difference is in context. For a mathematician or any scientifically oriented person, the term "majority" is defined by being more than 50%. But in common language and especially in politics, the same term is used for the biggest group, even if it does not meet the mathematical standard. (So yes, in politics in theory a group of 10 people can be "the majority", if they are the biggest group coming to an agreement... )
That all being said, i noticed a very amusing other detail: the term "emergent gameplay deliverers" is considered a synonym for "griefer". They are a small fraction of all players, but according to the survey they are present in open, PGs and in solo. I am really curious who they grief in solo... that must be some badly self-centered S&M activity... *g*

In politics, a majority is more than half the votes.
You need at least 50 + 1% for a majority rule decision.

Yes, that is one of the uses it can be used for, so what.

Look up the definition which you have ignored which is:

The greater number.

Not that I care that much anyway. This has nothing to do with politics or an overall majority rule, so I see no relevance. It is the greater number, a majority out of the three options.

It there where only two options though; do you play in open or not, then the not would get the majority, but there where three, so it is a moot point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom