ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Hmm. Yea. Just as everybody already suspected since a long time: we get a shooter attached to the game. The question is: will it actually be so much better than the plethora of shooters already on the marked or coming out in the next time?

If yes: interesting. How is that possible, considering that other game developers have years of experience and focus all their effort on creating the best shooter possible. (Might explain the status of carriers though: the actual effort went elsewhere. )

If no: why bother? Wouldn't it have been more interesting to have more things to find, than to have a shooter attached? We still can't land on anything with an atmosphere, let alone with a biosphere or being able to have a submersible spacecraft (say Hello to the Moray Starboat) and explore water worlds.

Edit: But kudos for the name chosen. I mean, "Odyssey", it really matches. It's the story of a voyage, cursed by the gods, getting lost in a storm, people dying on the way, etc. And while the most often told ending is a massacre with Odysseus coming out as the winner, there are also tragic versions around. It's daring and surprisingly honest to use this name for an expansion.
EvE Online tried and failed. Star Citizen doesn't even have more than a handful of planets in its "universe" so far. FDEV gets this out AND does it right, they'll be the one stop shop online space game the other "big names" can't seem to accomplish.

Yeah. Just changing the shader and particle effects to create an atmo look and feel to a void and empty world isn't too impressive. Right now, I wonder if Frontier is just working hard to catch up with what other games already have done for a while.

The big challenge will be to add a biosphere, fauna, water, rain, sand storms, and such. Just changing the hue of the skybox isn't that impressive. I did it myself in Unreal the other day in just few minutes. Creating a world that "lives" and exist in that atmo, that's only thousand times harder.

But then again, it's just the first trailer to tempt us all a little. I'm sure (hope?) they're planning on doing much more with the atmos.
Earth-likes are a different paid major release. FD already 'basically' said that with David Braben's kickstarter discussions and early newsletters. It's a ton more work to add plants and animals and weather and gas giant gameplay in giant cloud-storms (which DB has also talked about). Everyone is entitled to an opinion but anyone saying Atmospheres are coming and thinking that means Earth-likes is just speculating and imho is dead wrong.

Your comment about living worlds being 1000x harder is correct. They also imply massive cities with weather effects and many NPC and traffic which is a whole other modelling and rendering performance and open world issue. Wild speculation that the FD team could make FPS gameplay and walking in buildings and releast Earth-like worlds in the same 2-year development sprint is imho laughable. "no way in hell". <- I'd be very happy to be wrong but it's unlikely.

What happens when die planet side, there better not be any of that silly telepresence rubbish like SRV's..............

One Giant Leap

See the galaxy like never before. Touch down on breathtaking planets powered by stunning new tech, soak in suns rising over unforgettable vistas, discover outposts and settlements, and explore with unrestricted freedom.

Honestly, the prospect of stumbling upon a random settlement in a middle-of-nowhere nebula is the most exciting part of this to me. It'd be so fun to lay low in a tiny town, lightyears away from the bubble

...Polo Harbor, anyone?

I've not yet landed on a planet with a blue sky. Anyone?
There is a difference between something "appearing" to have atmosphere and actually having atmosphere. As someone pointed out, it's a skybox shader which isn't too impressive and they are wanting to see something more like NMS where there is flora, fauna, open cities, etc. something that feels alive and lived in.

I know the trailer was trying to give you that Mass Effect Andromeda vibe, so it may have been a stylistic choice. But I would reserve judgement till we see a more substantive representation of Atmospheric worlds.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom