ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Get real. Even if FDev does leave VR support as-is for the forseeable future, they are obviously abandoning the opportunity to make future additions to it. Added to that, FDev's track record is among, if not, the industry's absolute worst both for empty promises and for apparent lack of even trying.

I am real. Healthy skepticism is necessary with this developer. However, what you're doing is called lying.

It is the FPS system that will not support VR at launch because that still needs development.

I think few would have any major issues if the announcement was: "Odyssey will support VR except for the space legs bits." This thread would have turned out very different, I promise you. But the announcement was specifically: "ODYSSEY doesn't support VR at launch."

From a separate launcher application, almost like they're entirely different games, you have to select whether to launch the base game, Horizons or Odyssey.

Odyssey = No VR.

So far this is all we know for sure. And I'm bitter because frankly, it does not fill me with much hope. Unless... unless we manage to raise a sufficient s**tstorm and this turns out similar to other recent dumpster fires which FDev had to revert. The drag experimental effect on boost. Pretty much all the FC figures. A frikken blue ARX icon in the UI. The list goes on. That's what this thread is all about. Of course there's the "boohoo u whiners" and "do u even lift bro" comments that come along with any such feedback thread, but hey. It's all just making this backlash harder to ignore, so it's all good in my books.

They did not say it wouldn't be supported. It will just take them time to get it feeling right.

sweet-summer-child.gif

Now, I haven't played that many VR games myself, so in those terms, I don't really care in one way or the other if Odyssey has it on launch or not. But The VR games I've played, even when portrayed in 1st person, weren't really controlled like 1st person games usually are. They had controls like teleport moving to spot or like in the case of Republique, you control cameras and give directions to another character.

What I am getting here is a question those of you with more experience with VR, how does direct 1st person movement fare in current-generation VR devices? Is it possible, that FD, just like so many other devs, just hasn't found the proper way of making walking movement in VR feel good enough, so they are because of that reluctant to promise a VR support at launch?

What I am getting here is a question those of you with more experience with VR, how does direct 1st person movement fare in current-generation VR devices? Is it possible, that FD, just like so many other devs, just hasn't found the proper way of making walking movement in VR feel good enough, so they are because of that reluctant to promise a VR support at launch?

Very likely. 1st person VR games generally are a pretty terrible experience. I want to be able to free motion walk around and be able to look around freely, but I also don't want to have to use touch controllers and I don't want to have to teleport around...that's a cheap compromise for the fact that full motion 1st person in VR can be very nausea inducing. It's why the best VR games at the moment are simulator games where you pilot something you sit in. Which I have to say that adding things such as audio transducers and motion control platforms fills out the rest of the senses needed to completely reduce nausea. But of course that's not something the average person can afford or is willing to do, but I think most VR and simulation enthusiasts tend to ramp up their rigs over time anyway.

EDIT: Of course FDev said they were going to look at making the game client capable of supplying telemetry data which can be used with motion platforms 3 to 4 years ago and have never delivered on that. And there are a ton of sims, both flight and racing, that do.

Last edited:
1st person VR games generally are a pretty terrible experience.
PavlovVR and Onward are amazing actually. You don't get to walk around naturally (most likely unless you are walking outdoors), but it works intuitively, smoothly, without nausea, and enables a degree of performance comparable to or beyond what can be achieved by top players in desktop first person shooters.

HL Alyx is not the best example due to slow thumbstick motion (unless I am missing a configuration override), but it does show that both thumbstick and teleport motion can be mixed (which is great for simpits).

Then again, I just realized. Who really needs combat performance for spacelegs. We simpit users are already sitting in front of a keyboard/mouse, so just let us stay in VR.

I told my girlfriend, who I have given my 2nd alt account, about no VR.
Her reaction, "That's crazy! How are you meant to play it??"
Made me laugh anyway.

I have a pj. It's massive. Crunchy 5.1 too.
It's still rubbish compared to VR. It's just a bigger TV.

If you haven't got VR though, it's MUCH bigger than a TV! Love playing Total War: Warhammer 2 on it. :)
Oh, I have VR. I have a Pimax 5K+ which is bigger the all the other available VR solutions. But I also play on my monitor when doing a short game session and I still have fun, that's how I know I can live without it, and will get the expansion if I like what I see.

Just to play devils advocate here, how many of you can do a full 360 turn while playing the game? When flying a ship or driving a ground car, turning is a bit different, as it's your vehicle making the turn, while you in stay stationary in relation to the turn. With direct 1st person movement, with mouse and all, I can see there being several problems when it comes to moving, not only your head but the mouse as well, when the point of view is competitively moved by two methods. And when you are on foot, turning quickly around is a thing you'd have to do quite often.

But, again, I don't really play VR games, so I have no idea if someone has already tried something like this with a success.

Exactly this is done in PavlovVR and Onward, and it works well. For combat performance, physically turning one's real body is quicker, but the thumbstick turn controls work just as well. Thumbstick forward/back is obviously necessary due to room size limitations.

It doesn't make experienced VR users sick if that's what you're thinking.

Just to play devils advocate here, how many of you can do a full 360 turn while playing the game? When flying a ship or driving a ground car, turning is a bit different, as it's your vehicle making the turn, while you in stay stationary in relation to the turn. With direct 1st person movement, with mouse and all, I can see there being several problems when it comes to moving, not only your head but the mouse as well, when the point of view is competitively moved by two methods. And when you are on foot, turning quickly around is a thing you'd have to do quite often.

But, again, I don't really play VR games, so I have no idea if someone has already tried something like this with a success.

You basically have to use a controller or mouse/keyboard and only use the VR head set for your head which is generally how it's done anyway.

Exactly this is done in PavlovVR and Onward, and it works well. For combat performance, physically turning one's real body is quicker, but the thumbstick turn controls work just as well. Thumbstick forward/back is obviously necessary due to room size limitations.

I use the thumb sticks in a game called Gorn to move and turn. Let's face it, you cannot physically move very far with a VR headset on, one because you are tethered to the computer and 2 because it's dangerous. So until we have holodecks from Star Trek we're kind of stuck, but we the game players should be allowed to decide how we play the game in VR.

1st person VR games generally are a pretty terrible experience.

Not my experience at all. Half Life Alyx (VR only, their devs got it right) just shows what can be done, its really very good.

Not 1st person but VR ED is a like a different game (way better IMHO), DCS in VR is also incredibly good.

I'll be voting with my wallet, as it stands Odyssey gets a no buy from me.

Exactly. The biggest issue is your brain. When you are in VR and the world around you feels real and your character in game moves and your own physical body does not...that's what causes the nausea so you either have to train yourself to get over it or just not do it or use the teleporting method of movement (I just don't like that as I feel ruins the experience and the point of VR)

The only thing I can say with any certainty in all this is that this is not even remotely true. I can guarantee you it would have been the same, possibly even more acrimonious

I can only disagree. Five minutes of digging around the forums:

Let somebody play with their space legs and their pew pew gun. I would be perfectly content shooting my turret from my SRV in VR.
I can live with no spacelegs in VR at all, as long as I am able to enjoy the rest of the content of the expansion (new engine, atmospheric planets, improved missions, spheres of combat in SRV and spaceship).
I’d accept no space legs at all or a 3rd person view for space legs in VR. So long as I can still land on atmospheric worlds and drive around in my SRV.
As long as ship bits and the SRV remain, I really couldn't care less. I've no interest in legs at present as Elite was always a space-ship sim to me, and it excels there.
Pretty much as others said, I'm not interested in legs gameplay.
Break Odyssey into Two - 1) a "Horizons update" with new tech etc and 2) Horizons "update" with legs.
I tihnk the best option would be to just lock off disembarking if using a VR headset. I would accept that.
I imagined a situation where there'd be a moment when you get out of the pilot seat (perhaps via a fade to black, perhaps via a 3rd person animation) and that that would be the moment when, at launch at least, it would say "sorry - VR no supported". I could live with that.
As has been said here, i would accept being limited to the current Elite experience, ie seated, if allowed to fly around the new landscapes.
As a VR player I can accept not to be able to play the "legs" part of the game in VR.
1. Land on planet in VR.
2. Initiate EVA and fade out from VR.
3. Remove headset & continue on monitor.
what I want from Odyssey for is atmospheric planets to land on, not FPS gunplay.
Like most of the other posters here I'd be fine with flatscreen FPS if I could still have ships and vehicles in VR with the new planetary atmospherics and other graphics upgrades
My compromise level would be flying and driving in VR...legs for what I call LEGACY gaming mode.
If I can do all flying and driving activities in VR, that would satisfy me
Well, if the expansion doesn't support VR then it means nothing for me. If everything except Space legged FPS stuff supports VR, that'd be awesome.
I would ALSo be ok with when going into 1st person mode on foot the game zooming out to a cinema screen and it playing in pancake mode then zooming back to VR when you get back in a vehicle.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom