ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Were you landing on these? Only asking as I have explored a little and never seen anything that comes close to that picture.
(Well, not landable, anyway!)

There was clearly dust blowing in the trailer before the 'conda passed by... but I have seen planets with haze at very low altitude too. Nothing that would create scatter blooming out at orbital cruise interface type distance though. Again, nothing that I could land on anyway.

Can't wait to shoot this guy in the face:
IIGBIpp.jpg

Were you landing on these? Only asking as I have explored a little and never seen anything that comes close to that picture.
(Well, not landable, anyway!)
Planetary surface hazes are not common, and in my experience show up more frequently at the terminator of landable planets. The dust in rings is not atmosphere but small scale to microscopic particulate matter orbiting with the big chunks, more frequently seen in icy rings where sunlight subliming the ices can create temporary haziness as well.

There was clearly dust blowing in the trailer before the 'conda passed by... but I have seen planets with haze at very low altitude too. Nothing that would create scatter blooming out at orbital cruise interface type distance though. Again, nothing that I could land on anyway.
We even raise dust on landable panets (the SRV illustrates that well :) ) - the T10 below has a halo of dust around it as it is hovering just above the surface (scanning Bio)...
Image1.jpg

In the trailer dust is being raised while the NPC's are walking too...
Even allowing for pre-rendered, it was a good teaser :)

This is a interesting development.
I do, however, remember the first GTAV trailer Vs what came out.
I also remember the NMS hype and the resulting nuclear fallout.

Biggest question for me: How will this work with VR? Free roam versus the alternates out there (teleport, remote control, etc). Free shooting with VR hand controls, versus mapping with your HOTAS? Option to automatically switch to 2D instead of VR when on foot, for those who have motion sickness problems?

Yeah, you do NOT want to have your view zooming around while you stand still, that does NOT work for most people in VR. Speaking from personal experience.

I was perfectly fine for Alyx, but VRChat and Blade&Sorcery were a very different story. I might be able to "train" myself to do it (useful tools include a small fan and alcohol) but it's still very time-limited for me.

I don't really get the appeal of space legs...

Like you wouldn't really want to explore planets on foot, and im sure walking around inside your ship would loose its appeal quickly, these ships aren't that big
Actually, the ships are rather massive. Not exploration-kind, bur even the Cobra Mk III is larger than the Millennium Falcon. There's some stuff you could enjoy quality of life in.

Please tell me all the FPS stuff is optional. And I mean truly optional, not "fake optional" like engineering is. There are many of us who really do not want to go within a light year of touching a shooting game.
It will definitely be optional. There will be new kinds of missions you can only get on foot inside facilities, but FPS combat is completely an optional part. You don't even have to own a gun

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom