Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Excuse me, where was it written or shown that the astronauts in the Odyssey would be in first person? Could it be just a side view ?
From steam page:

The Sphere of Combat
Experience intense first-person combat, kit out your character with an array of weapons and gear, and coordinate with teammates to master a multi-layered, deep, tactical environment where Commanders, SRVs and Starships converge.

If you don't care about legs, then you don't really need the expansion. Don't buy it. Keep playing the game you have.
Whilst I would love the full shebang in VR you are still ignoring a big gap in the middle. I could tolerate all in ship stuff Inc the new planets in SRVs with the game then swapping to big screen mode when you get out of your ship.
Mechanically that covers all bases with a view to then improving the feet features in VR if they can later. The no compromise, we do it perfect or we don't do it at all is a great sound bite but has NEVER been a feature of elite.
It sounds hollow to me just like lacking certain eye candy feature because it's not realistic and them implementing engineers as wizards with lasers of healing , and magic pockets to store lumps of iron and sulphur whichbfornsome reason you can't buy.

Not having a pop at Arthur or anyone else individually.... But I just don't think the no compromise comment is true.

PS in vehicle VR and out of vehicle bigscreen 2D WOULD still be full VR in my view even if some of that in VR content more of how vr is with the Xbox 1

Last edited:

Arthur Tolmie

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
Thank you for asking, and not forgetting!
Arf, sincerely thank you.

I think you're just what the community team needed. It feels like you have asked more questions and have said more to us than most of the others in team and it really feels like you're listening.

You're very much appreciated right now, by me at least.

Thanks!
Appreciate the kind words - thank you!

-Arf

Appreciate the kind words - thank you!

-Arf
Well, thank you for being forthright in wanting to put our views and questions to the developers- the last two years have suffered from a lot of inconsistent communication and its great to see a pro-active stance again. I know you can only relay what you are told, but (for a better way to put it) its nice to have someone willing to ask and keep on asking.

Whilst I would love the full shebang in VR you are still ignoring a big gap in the middle. I could tolerate all in ship stuff Inc the new planets in SRVs with the game then swapping to big screen mode when you get out of your ship.
Mechanically that covers all bases with a view to then improving the feet features in VR if they can later. The no compromise, we do it perfect or we don't do it at all is a great sound bite but has NEVER been a feature of elite.
It sounds hollow to me just like lacking certain eye candy feature because it's not realistic and them implementing engineers as wizards with lasers of healing , and magic pockets to store lumps of iron and sulphur whichbfornsome reason you can't buy.

Not having a pop at Arthur or anyone else individually.... But I just don't think the no compromise comment is true.

PS in vehicle VR and out of vehicle bigscreen 2D WOULD still be full VR in my view even if some of that in VR content more of how vr is with the Xbox 1
That's why I've asked for a Horizons Plus Client for VR users that own both horizons and Odyssey. The horizons plus client will allow you to land and drive around on the planets from both expansions in VR. If you want to do the legs part, you would have to log into the Odyssey client.

Big screen maybe problematic. Does Oculus have an equivalent, if not, then I doubt they will go down that route.

Personally I would happily pay for a proper all inclusive VR version of all parts of the game.

I think PCs that work well with Basic ED and Horizon will be good for Odyssey.

Odyssey will be available for the current consoles, so it will probably be good for the current PCs.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷
I'm actually sad about this - kinda wish they were forcing an upgrade, would mean the tech had advanced in terms of graphics.

Or... actually... it could just mean it's poorly optimised - I doubt that though, FD have lways been very good with presentation

I think PCs that work well with Basic ED and Horizon will be good for Odyssey.

Odyssey will be available for the current consoles, so it will probably be good for the current PCs.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷
I'm actually sad about this - kinda wish they were forcing an upgrade, would mean the tech had advanced in terms of graphics.

Or... actually... it could just mean it's poorly optimised - I doubt that though, FD have lways been very good with presentation

Hmm, good points.

On the one hand, it would be good to keep my current config without having to splash the cash on new components... but then again, with 10tth gen i9's like the 10900K, the Ryzen 3990X and the upcoming RTX3080ti, it would be great to see ED's next iteration make use of the tech.

Thanks for this Arf!

Does the above mean that there is some active skunkwork experimentation going on? Or just more discussion of options?

Cheers,
Gol
It means my fellow dog is trapped between his internal and external clients.

@Arthur Tolmie: Pre-pandemic, it was common for corporate to roll out changes, have the changes melt every network switch in the building, and have IT management telling the employees watching the fire in the parking lot that the desktop techs were to blame.

Last edited:

Maybe the new technology uses better algorithms that make better use of current hardware.

Like a graphics card for many years receives many new drivers.

Strong improvements are possible with new technology. Look at the different versions of operating systems and other apps and games, with the same hardware.

Of course that won’t prevent from buying new hardware to enjoy even more this new technology, I guess.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Hmm, good points.

On the one hand, it would be good to keep my current config without having to splash the cash on new components... but then again, with 10tth gen i9's like the 10900K, the Ryzen 3990X and the upcoming RTX3080ti, it would be great to see ED's next iteration make use of the tech.
Like a good wine remains a good wine with a normal meal, but is even better if it is accompanied by better food. ;)

After it is a affair of bank account. 🤑

And don’t forget the screen. There will always be better than your current screen ...

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Imagine saying we should be forcing upgrades in 2020, when the economy has been savaged by so many factors that it's almost the stuff of thriller novels.

Dude, get over it. We're in a time where we need to preserve what we have, and not flagrantly toss it aside. And yes, I am outright calling a games console important right now as for a lot of people, those things have been pretty much all the leisure they had as they were locked inside for the safety of everyone, including yourself.

I'd let go of this dream of your games not having to consider consoles, because consoles are never going anywhere now.

I like @-VR- Max Factor 's suggestion of a Horizons Plus client for VR players, as I suspect that VR isn't available at all for Odyssey, at launch at least, due to there being heavy in ship game play that can't leave VR users isolated from NPCs or players.

Imagine saying we should be forcing upgrades in 2020, when the economy has been savaged by so many factors that it's almost the stuff of thriller novels.

Dude, get over it. We're in a time where we need to preserve what we have, and not flagrantly toss it aside. And yes, I am outright calling a games console important right now as for a lot of people, those things have been pretty much all the leisure they had as they were locked inside for the safety of everyone, including yourself.

I'd let go of this dream of your games not having to consider consoles, because consoles are never going anywhere now.
I am very sorry I appear to have made you angry.
Get the kettle on or something.

Top Bottom