ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I think this thread would be a lot shorter & clearer without all the punditry thistle. Stuff could be taken away and it's okay for people to express that concern.
Less amusing perhaps.

Take out the VR drama though and it really would have been an "Odyssey Announcement" thread as advertised.

But really, who is talking about taking stuff away?

Thats very disturbing what you making up there ^^.
Why the hell should become atmosphere free Plantets become a atmosphere ?

Why should take Odyssey Planets away ?
Do you think there are not enough Planets with thin atmosphere out there already?
They are quite common so........
Or you just cant stop to Drama around? ,;)
Well most of the planets that have a "tenuous" atmosphere, by definition, we can already land on. Mercury, Europa, Enceladus...

So either A: We'll only be seeing some of the older planets revamped to look more like what we saw in the trailer, or...
B: Some of the currently locked planets will become accessible.
Either way, it seems FD's definition of the word "tenuous" is quite tenuous. Ima leave now... 😑

Of course, theres no way to tell right now because we're still waiting on the announcement of the announcement of the announcement of the announcement... 🙃

They removed functionality before, they can do it again.

They shouldn't...
No they haven't. They expanded on the functionality, it's still there, just takes longer. Which they are in their right to do. But they won't remove the ability to land on planets in horizons and push it to Odyssey. There is literally zero reasons to do that. Also what would be the point of the horizons expansions, if it doesn't give you anything extra.

No they haven't. They expanded on the functionality, it's still there, just takes longer. Which they are in their right to do. But they won't remove the ability to land on planets in horizons and push it to Odyssey. There is literally zero reasons to do that. Also what would be the point of the horizons expansions, if it doesn't give you anything extra.
They removed functionality Max, just not functionality you miss.

I love what you are trying to do, but you DO come across as the King of Wishfull thinking. You assume the world in the cutest but most naive way as possible.

I predict many more what moments when the whole new era is known. Its not just a DLC, its s new era.

I love what you are trying to do, but you DO come across as the King of Wishfull thinking. You assume the world in the cutest but most naive way as possible.

I predict many more what moments when the whole new era is known. Its not just a DLC, its s new era.
Not really. I'm just being realistic. I have never heard of a games company removing features from an already released expansion to bundle it into the next one and ask people to pay again for the right to use that feature.

I don't see anything naive about that.

Also, what exactly am I trying to do?

Last edited:
Ah, pity they’re looking at how to transition from instead of implement into... :(

That's exactly what it says, isn't it. Transition from VR to the new mechanics of Odyssey means nothing else than that it is official now that VR is dead for Odyssey.

They are not even looking into possible VR support for all or parts of Odyssey but essentially only discussing when you lay down your headset when entering Odyssey. Okay, so we may get the descent part, because seriously, what is added with atmospheric landings: blue instead of black sky and a bit more particle effects - wow, I am so impressed, can hardly contain my excitement about that giant leap...

But then again, I have this strange feeling that us VR users will feel much less hurt once the DLC has been released - it probably will be another minimalistic addition to the game where the fanfare announced an elephant and a mouse walked through the door. Wouldn't be surprised to hear the flat gamers come to the conclusion that they will easily let that part of the game unattended and rather focus back on what makes the game fun. The only real danger is that FDev puts some new engineer kind of mechanics into it not only for the personal weapons but also ship systems effectively making it a pay to win scenario if you want to continue to play PvP - that one engineer you can only reach by foot who offers you to double the strength of your hull, etc. etc.

On related news: it is a very nice coincidence that FS2020 will now have VR support very soon, I can see me taking my cockpit to that game and DCS. So, dear @Arthur Tolmie: you won't have to listen to VR users complain so much in future anymore, other companies are picking up on that strange new tech FDev first pioneered but now have decided to abandon for the future roadmap. Your VR community will be handed over to good hands I believe. You will have a much more homogeneous (yet smaller) community left to take care of.

On related news: it is a very nice coincidence that FS2020 will now have VR support very soon, I can see me taking my cockpit to that game and DCS. So, dear @Arthur Tolmie: you won't have to listen to VR users complain so much in future anymore, other companies are picking up on that strange new tech FDev first pioneered but now have decided to abandon for the future roadmap. Your VR community will be handed over to good hands I believe. You will have a much more homogeneous (yet smaller) community left to take care of.
If fdev do successfully allow VR for the flying and removing the headset for the first person, then you will have the FS2020/DCS part of Elite Dangerous in Odyssey.

I find it funny that now fdev are trying to see if they can implement what was asked for - VR in EDO in flight - even that is now not acceptable.

Thats very disturbing what you making up there ^^.
Why the hell should become atmosphere free Plantets become a atmosphere ?

Why should take Odyssey Planets away ?
Do you think there are not enough Planets with thin atmosphere out there already?
They are quite common so........
Or you just cant stop to Drama around? ,;)
I'm not dramatizing this, I'm saving my theatrics for VR, talking of which have you seen my avatar? And have you heard that the VR players are most severely disgruntled by the company's intention to remove VR from Odyssey? OK you have - was just checking....

It is a fairly serious and perfectly valid question, given a lot of planetary bases are on airless moons / planetoids, which would be a logical candidate to host a tenuous atmosphere, and it would be sweet to have Spase Legs Gameplay on planetary starports, some might get hoovered up in the tweaks to stellar forge to add atmospheres to these planets for Odyssey.
They can't do that. You have paid for the right to land on those planets already. They will not be removed from horizons and added to Odyssey.
They shouldn't, but it's an interesting postulation, if there are tweaks to stellar forge to make Odyssey's tenuous atmosphere planets, some existing Horizons planets / planetary bases might gain an atmosphere and thus be gated from Horizons (VR) players. To avoid artificial gating of existing "content" (planets surfaces and starports / structures - including possibly some guardian or thargoid stuff) then either:
There will have to be a rake of new bases added to the currently unoccupied planets that "gain" an atmosphere with Odyssey
There won't be much point in atmospheric planets as you will have nowhere to go in them given:
You can't gate off current horizons planets
There aren't going to be full earth likes
There aren't going to be Ice planets
There aren't going to be Volcanic Planets or.....

@Axacuatl
So if Elite dont Support FPS just flying. You go and play Flight Simulator instead cause they support flying :unsure:.
Btw play DCS,BMS and Elite you dont have to stick with one game all the time....and i just got 4 hours a week time ^^

Not really. I'm just being realistic. I have never heard of a games company removing features from an already released expansion to bundle it into the next one and ask people to pay again for the right to use that feature.

I don't see anything naive about that.

Also, what exactly am I trying to do?

To be fair, IF this does happen where Odyssey grabs some planets from Horizons, gating that content, I don't think it would have been a deliberate attempt by the company to yank content from Horizons to plump up Odyssey, I think it would have been a genuine oversight and any loss of planets to horizons players will have been a pure and simple unintentional consequence.

To be fair, IF this does happen where Odyssey grabs some planets from Horizons, gating that content, I don't think it would have been a deliberate attempt by the company to yank content from Horizons to plump up Odyssey, I think it would have been a genuine oversight and any loss of planets to horizons players will have been a pure and simple unintentional consequence.
It's not going to happen. For that to happen, they would have to deliberately change a database. Not too sure why you even think that could happen.

@Jay le chardon

Why do you think,you cant land on Planets with thin atmosphere as Horizons player ? Its planetary landing so its Horizons content.
And if you got Vr and Odyssey you sure can fly and land on Planets you just dont have VR on Foot,not yet

Because the atmosphered planets are odyssey content, I'm not "flaming" anyone as I'm not lambasting anyone, I'm simply questioning the origins of these airless planets. Now, if these tenuous atmosphere planets aren't at least some of the small airless moons we currently can land on in horizons, as in the horizons airless planets are sacrosanct and remain unaltered, where will they come from? And if they are Horizons planets upgraded with atmospheres, hows that going to work for Horizons players - do they lose the planets or do they remain accessible in game for Horizons but only have their atmosphere in Odyssey? What about these new player hubs / buildings types if they are on "common" planets - would a horizons player see all the same buildings and features on a planets surface, as in the only thing that an odyssey player will see that a horizons wont see is the blue sky and the option to leave pilots seat?

Thinking on the split, there is a ton of questions I could ask but without VR, and with such a smarmy set of white knight keyboard warriors whats the fracking point.

Have a great weekend.

Because the atmosphered planets are odyssey content, I'm not "flaming" anyone as I'm not lambasting anyone, I'm simply questioning the origins of these airless planets. Now, if these tenuous atmosphere planets aren't at least some of the small airless moons we currently can land on in horizons, as in the horizons airless planets are sacrosanct and remain unaltered, where will they come from? And if they are Horizons planets upgraded with atmospheres, hows that going to work for Horizons players - do they lose the planets or do they remain accessible in game for Horizons but only have their atmosphere in Odyssey? What about these new player hubs / buildings types if they are on "common" planets - would a horizons player see all the same buildings and features on a planets surface, as in the only thing that an odyssey player will see that a horizons wont see is the blue sky and the option to leave pilots seat?

Thinking on the split, there is a ton of questions I could ask but without VR, and with such a smarmy set of white knight keyboard warriors whats the fracking point.

Have a great weekend.
They will be new planets, not the planets we can already land on. Hopefully the existing planets will get a makeover in Horizons with the new tech. It was certainly intimated that would happen.

This isn't about white knighting, it's about common sense. Tenuous atmospheric planets will be a different set of planets to land on then what we have with horizons.

@Jay le chardon

Why do you think,you cant land on Planets with thin atmosphere as Horizons player ? Its planetary landing so its Horizons content.
And if you got Vr and Odyssey you sure can fly and land on Planets you just dont have VR on Foot,not yet
The new planets that will be landable in Odyssey are likely to be Odyssey content only.

I find it funny that now fdev are trying to see if they can implement what was asked for - VR in EDO in flight - even that is now not acceptable.

What was expected, and thus asked for, was that the new DLC is playable in VR, period.

What you are addressing are the shades of grey desperate users have been throwing out which reach from "can we please get confirmation that this doesn't mean no VR support for ED at all any longer" to "can we get some kind of bone thrown to us by having FDev implement any small bit of the new DLC for VR".

Sure, of course it is better if they allow for a transition and we do not have to orbit around an atmospheric planet and leave the game, restart it in flat and then play the Odyssey part, but they allow us to hit a switch in the game menu to do that - saves us probably 20 seconds or so, but wouldn't be much less disruptive to the experience. Or they even make it an ingame event - your ship AI announces "you have to gear up for leaving your ship, so please take of your flying helmet and get out of your seat, commander". Impressive transition mechanics that would be, implementation would probably cost them 1-2 hours, coffee break included.

But okay, perhaps the planetary make-over is more impressive that just blue replacing black for the sky and a bit of lazy particle effects to simulate dust and that's it, same barren empty planet surfaces as ever. In that case I agree that allowing us to experience such richer details on planets from our space ship would be something at least.

By the way, if they would allow VR users to use parts of Odyssey, i.e. the part which happens in the pilot seat, does that mean it is confirmed that no hostile entering of ships is part of the game play ? I guess because they haven't even confirmed that you can just walk in your ship this might have been clear to others already, but it would seem weird if VR user ships cannot be entered while other users' ships can in Open...

What I really find difficult to understand is why FDev considered this such a barrier they could not overcome while there are games out there showing how to do it....

So if Elite dont Support FPS just flying. You go and play Flight Simulator instead cause they support flying :unsure:.
Btw play DCS,BMS and Elite you dont have to stick with one game all the time....and i just got 4 hours a week time ^^

It's simple - I would be playing a game which doesn't cut me out from some parts of the game experience & likely impact on the outfitting options and thus chances for survival in Open; and with a realistic expectation that this is the strategical decision for any future content too. If you had asked me, space legs was not as important to me as would have been planetary landings on ice planets, earth-likes, or enrichment of the game play with more substance to it, more interesting missions, Thargoids & Guardians creating a richer narrative, etc. etc..

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom